Iran, emphasizing a connection with the ancient Aryans.
– Britain and the Soviet Union invade Iran, alliedwith the Axis powers, and orchestrate the abdication of Reza Shah.
– Prime Minister Muhammad Mossadeqnationalizes the Iranian oil industry.
– Britain and the United States, in conjunctionwith Mohammed Reza Shah, orchestrate a coup andpush Mossadeq from power.
– Mohammed Reza Shah launches the WhiteRevolution, instituting land reform; changes in socialpolicies (promoting literacy, advancing women’s rights);and economic expansion. While making someadvances, the Revolution raises but does not meetIranians’ expectations.
– Mohammed Reza Shah declares martial lawafter a series of massive protests in cities throughoutthe country.
– Khomeini’s Islamic revolution forcesthe Shah from power.
– After the deposed Shah enters theUnited States for cancer treatment, a group of Iranianstudents storms the US embassy in Tehran and holdsthe staff hostage for 444 days.
– Iraq invades Iran, launching the 8-year Iran-Iraqwar.
– Khameini, the future Supreme Leader, iselected president.
– Iran successfully expels Iraqi forces and invades