Maya Cinemas and the Arts Council of Kern (ACK) have collaborated to organize a juried art competition featuring worksinspired by movies and the movie going experience. Eight winners will be chosen and their art work will be enlarged to12x18 and installed on the exterior of Maya Cinemas. Each winner will be eligible to use 2 free movie passes per weekfrom December 2011-July 2012 exclusively at Maya Cinemas. Select submissions will be on display in Maya CinemasLobby from November 1st -15
This contest is open to all artists, age 18 and over, currently residing in Kern County.Original works only and work must have been completed within the last two years.Entries must follow the movie theme, specifically: art that features characters frommovies, actors likenesses, or themes related to the movie going experience (popcorn,3d glasses, etc.). Please be aware of any copyright infringement issues: if you are takingyour inspiration from a movie poster or other artwork, you may not copy that workdirectly, and any element copied from another source must be extremely trivial. Inaddition, art featuring specific Bakersfield themes will also be accepted. MayaCinemas and the ACK reserve the right to refuse works judged unsuitable or withunusual request.
All artists need to complete the entry form with all information requested. There are nofees to enter the contest. Only one entry per person will be accepted, no collaborationsplease.
All media, styles and techniques are encouraged. This includes but is not limited to: oil,acrylic, watercolor, pastel, mixed media, drawing or collage. Due to the nature of theinstallation, only 2D entries will be accepted. No sculpture, performance or videoartwork will be accepted.
All artwork submitted must be a vertical image and exactly18x27 so that it will enlarge to scale.DELIVERY OF WORK: All submissions are due October 7
2011. Artwork is to be turned in at or mailed toMaya Cinemas, 1000 California Ave, Bakersfield 93304.
Entries received after October7
will not be considered for the contest. After notification that work has beenaccepted the artwork will be photographed and enlarged to the 12x18 banner size.
ALL works submitted must be for sale. Work will be sold at the price listed on the entryform. Artist will receive 75% of the sale and the remaining 25% will be donated to theArts Council of Kerns Art in Schools At Risk Youth Programming. Artist will receivepayment for work sold within two weeks after the close of the exhibition. The sale pricemust be reasonable and in line with the artists previous sales. For assistance withpricing, please contact the Arts Council of Kern.
Call to ArtistsMaya CinemasJuried Art Competition