Cape Cod Waterways Face Pollution Crisis
11. Without remediation, excess nitrogen could decimate shellfish beds and lead to widespread summer [A]__________.12. In August, the problem of excess nitrogen in Cape Cod waterways is sometimes seen before it is smelled.A. True B. False
13. The algae of the waterways bakes under the hot sun, and produces a foul __________.14. Though they know it's a big problem, environmentalists don't think the Cape Cod pollution is thatbig of a problem.A. True B. False
15. Cape Cod towns chose not to install what items when the government helped subsidize them?A. Leach fieldsB. Specialized wastewater pipesC. Septic systemsD. Sewers16. Why have many Cape Cod towns have not been very successful in fixing their polluted waterways?
17. More than ____ ponds, the article says, have been choked by algae and seaweed.A. 10B. 5C. 60D. 2118. Residents are angry with this problem. Some feel that everyone should pitch in financially andhelp, while others think that only those citizens with _____________ need to pay.19. In Falmouth, some areas have been closed to ____________ for years.
110. According to Mggie Geist of the Association to Preserve Cape Cod, what is the biggest environmental issue the capehas ever faced?111. Rising ________ levels are suffocating the vegetation and marine life.A. OxygenB. NitrogenC. SulfurD. All of the above112. Some residents in Orleans say the town should put into effect a ____________ plan.A. $950,000B. $1,000,000C. $456,000D. $150 milllion113. Rising [A]__________ levels are suffocating vegetation and marine life in saltwater ponds and estuaries on Cape Cod.If left uncheck, this will threaten the [B]__________ industry, the [C]__________ economy and the [D]__________.114. Because of rising sulfur levels, the beaches are being threatened.A. True B. False
- 1 - 2/7/2011