3. De\ufb01ne the term Drag force acting on an airfoil / wing or any moving object. What are the causes and e\ufb00ects of drag? Write down expression for total drag and its components. Hence compare drag of various objects. Make use of sketches /plots to illustrate your answer.
4. De\ufb01ne a complex potential function from the \ufb01rst principle. What is represented by a Complex potential function? Consider a point source placed in a uniform stream. Plot the streamlines and equipotential lines. Make use of sketches and plots to explain your answers.
6. An airscrew is required to produce thrust of 4500 Newtons at a speed of 125 m/s at sea level. The diameter of the disc is 2.5 m. Estimate the minimum power to be supplied on the basis of ideal actuator disc. Another propeller is placed in its slipstream such that its disc area is just equal to that of the slipstream. Work out the size ant input power to the second propeller on the basis of Froude momentum theory.
7. At 1.25 m radius on a 3 bladed airscrew, the airfoil section has the following char- acteristics; solidity = 0.1 ,\u03b8 = 290 7\u2019 ,\u03b1 = 40 7\u2019,CL = 0.49 L / D = 50 Allowing for both axial and rotational interference, \ufb01nd the local e\ufb03ciency of the element. 
5. Apply the Kutta-Zhukovsky transformation to obtain a cambered airfoil of thick- ness ratio 15% and camber of 10%. Make use of sketches and plots to elaborate your answer.
6. An airscrew is required to pruce thrust of 5000 Newtons at a speed of 130 m/s at sea level. The diameter of the disc is 2.5 m. Estimate the minimum power to be supplied on the basis of ideal actuator disc. Another propeller is placed in its slipstream such that its disc area is just equal to that of the slipstream. Work out the size ant input power to the second propeller on the basis of Froude momentum theory.
8. Explain the functioning a conventional helicopter. What are the uses of collective pitch lever and stick for cyclic pitch? Make use of sketches / plots to elaborate your answer.
2. Compare pressure distribution over an airfoil in an ideal \ufb02uid medium with that in a viscous incompressible \ufb02uid medium. How does the real \ufb02uid e\ufb00ect the pressure distribution? Illustrate with sketches and plots.
4. Sketch the stream line pattern of the \ufb02ow given by the Complex Potential function w = Az2 , where A is a constant and other symbols have usual meaning. Find the magnitude and direction of the stream at x = 1,y= 2 when A = 10.
5. A long elliptic cylinder of t / c ratio = 1 / 7, is set in , and with its major axis parallel to, a uniform irrotational stream of 35.4 m / s. Calculate the pressure di\ufb00erence between pressure holes set in the nose and at the point of maximum thickness.
6. An airplane powered by a single propeller is \ufb02ying in straight and level condition at an altitude. Develop an expression for the slipstream velocity of the propeller in terms of \ufb02ight speed, drag coe\ufb03cient, wing plan form area and the propeller diameter.
7. A 3-bladed airscrew is driven at 1560 rpm at a \ufb02ight speed of 110 m / s at sea level. At 1.25 m radius, the local e\ufb03ciency is estimated to be 87%, while the L/D ratio of the blade section is 57.3. Calculate the local thrust grading, ignoring rotational interference.
This action might not be possible to undo. Are you sure you want to continue?