Code No: R6-11-MCA
M.C.A. I Semester Supplimentary Examinations, Jul/Aug 2008
- - - -
Time: 3 hours
Max Marks: 60
Answer any FIVE Questions
All Questions carry equal marks
\ue000 \ue000 \ue000 \ue000 \ue000
1. (a) Obtain the principal disjunctive normal forms of
ii. (P\u2227 Q)\u2228 (\u00acP \u2227R)\u2228 (Q\u2227 R)
(b) Explain the principal conjunctive Normal Forms.
2. Perform the proofs by contradiction for the following:
(a) In a room of 13 people, 2 or more people have their birthdays in the same
(b) Suppose that the 10 integers 1,2,...,10 are randomly positioned around a cir-
cular wheel. Show that the sum of some set of 3 consecutively positioned
numbers is at least 17.
3. (a) If relations R and S are both re\ufb02exive, show that R\u222a and R\u2229 are also
(b) Show weather the following relations are transitive:
4. Discuss some simple Algebraic systems and general properties with suitable exam-
5. (a) How many di\ufb00erent outcomes are possible by tossing 10 similar coins.
(b) How many integral solutions are there tox1 +x2 +x3 +x4 +x5 = 20, where
6. Find a recurrence relation for the number of ways to make a pile of n chips using
garnet, gold, red, white, and blue chip such that no two gold chips are together.
7. (a) LetT1andT2 be spanning trees of a simple connected graph G and let e be an
edge ofT1andT2 show that there is a spanning treeT3of G containing e and
all but one edge ofT2.
(b) Compare breadth-\ufb01rst search and depth \ufb01rst search spanning trees for a cycle
graph with n vertices.
1 of 2