Welcome to Scribd, the world's digital library. Read, publish, and share books and documents. See more
Standard view
Full view
of .
Look up keyword
Like this
0 of .
Results for:
No results containing your search query
P. 1
BC Grade 12 GraduationRequirements

BC Grade 12 GraduationRequirements



|Views: 3,329|Likes:
Published by Arithmomaniac
Designed with one school in mind, but the author did a good job for others, too.
Designed with one school in mind, but the author did a good job for others, too.

More info:

Published by: Arithmomaniac on May 18, 2007
Copyright:Attribution Non-commercial


Read on Scribd mobile: iPhone, iPad and Android.
download as PDF, TXT or read online from Scribd
See more
See less





By Avi Levin 
Based on Materials from the Ministry of Education
Includes:Graduation, UBC, and UW requirementsCourse List sorted by requirementInformation on AP/IB, Independent Studies, Grad Transitions, and Course Challenge
WARNING!!! Information subject to change. Many of the theoretical combinations in this book arenot practically possible, or will mess you up in college. Make sure to consult with others.
Let's start with the basics.The 2006 class. were split on what subjects to take. They ended up with a suits-nobody compromise.Us, the 2007, class, got stuck in a number of departments:
We didn't know that there was a provincial exam (PrEx) for English Literature, so we didn't take it.
We were told we needed four PrExs in Grade 12. In fact, that's what UBC wants. However, onlyone of us was taking UBC seriously, so in May, one of us dropped Math. In the end, we shouldhave looked at what we probably needed.
We didn't know until may that we had two more courses than we needed to graduate.At eh beginning of May, this all fell down on our heads. We made the same mistakes that they laughedat us for making last year - and it seemed like it would continue forever (no offense to Grade 11 – Ithink they'll do fine.)This happened for several reasons. None of us had clear goals of what we wanted to do, and each year  builds off the next. No one, or nothing, at the school, is dedicated to doing this for the students – withfifty of us, there are plenty of other things to worry about. So if you don't check yourself, people willmake mistakes, or do a standard set to play it safe.This booklet is meant to give you all of the information you need to start planning your own schedule.You should start as soon as Grade 9 – You don't have many choices next year, but you'll have morewhen class sizes go up, and you should always be able to pick your elective.Some basics.In British Columbia, high school is Grades 10-12. (School districts may add more grades, but they donot affect graduation.) There is only one type of high school diploma, known as the Dogwood. To do it,you need to do certain things, outlined below with things PTI requires as a Jewish school:Grade 10Grade 11 or 12Grade 11Grade 12Any Grade/OtheJudaic StudiesScienceJudaic StudiesLanguage ArtsPEHebrew LanguageSocial StudiesLanguage ArtsJudaic StudiesFine Arts/Applied SkillsMathMath
Two othercourses
Graduation TransitionsScience
One other course
Social StudiesLanguage ArtsPlanningIn addition, colleges have their own requirements. To give two examples, UBC and SFU not onlyrequire a diploma, they also require four provincial exam courses in Grade 12 and a language in Grade11, and the sciences require even more. American universities are generally easier; University of Washington just requires a diploma, although you may have to take extra math in college. Check beforeyou plan.
A couple of things to keep in mind:
You can keep on taking Hebrew 11 and Hebrew 12 to add on credits and PE 11 to help with your Graduation Transitions, and you're good to to!
However, if you want to attend UBC, SFU, and many other colleges (but not UW) you will need totake four courses with exams in Grade 12, instead of just two secular subjects.
Don't take a course offered in Grade 11 and 12 that you need in just one in Grade 12. You'll bemissing stuff you need in between.
The more courses you take in high school, the less you will have to take in university to start your degree.Within the requirements, there are a few ways to get credits:Provincially Examinable Courses: You'll have to take at least five of these courses (eight for UBC or SFU). These courses are the most impressive regular courses, are the most useful for college, and arethe easiest to transfer. However, the course is less flexible, part of the course has to be taught for theexam, and the exams are hard. Exam courses are marked in bold in Appendix A.Regular Courses: Most likely, the rest of your courses will be these normal ones, no more and no less.A complete list of these can be found in Appendix A.AP/IB Courses (11/12): AP (and its harder cousin, IB) are like international courses (especially IB) andare treated by the Ministry as full courses - in fact, they can be taken instead of provincial exams. Theyare recognized worldwide, and they can even count as college credit at most schools if you do well.However, the courses are not tailored to BC students and are more of a challenge. They have beenomitted from Appendix A, but may be found in the
Course Information for the Graduation Program
 booklet.Graduation Transitions: This is not really a course, but is one of your required 20. It starts immediatelyupon entering Grade 10 and runs through they summer until graduation. replaces the GraduationPortfolio after complaints that it was too bureaucratic and poorly implemented. To get credits for it,you have to:Get 80 hours of exercise besides PE 10 and develop a healthy living plan (Easy o knock off with PE11)Work or volunteer for at least 30 hours and describe it (Get a summer job)Develop and present a plan for what you will do after high school. (You do this anyways)A couple of other options are available, but rarely used:Independent Directed Studies (11/12): As long as it falls within an existing course, you may get creditfor supervised self-study. First, you need to prove that you are capable of independent learning. Then,with the help of a teacher, you have to develop a rough course outline. Then, you get credits for thecourse at about one credit (¼ of a course) every 30 hours/2½ months. This is great for a detailedresearch project (e.g. studying World War I for History 12), or if you already know half a course and just want to learn the other half. Remember that you need four credits of IDS for it to count as a course.¾ of a course won't help you.Course Challenge: Anyone is entitled to challenge any course if they can prove they know it, especially

Activity (2)

You've already reviewed this. Edit your review.
1 thousand reads
1 hundred reads

You're Reading a Free Preview

/*********** DO NOT ALTER ANYTHING BELOW THIS LINE ! ************/ var s_code=s.t();if(s_code)document.write(s_code)//-->