But there can be some drawbacks to using a group, such as:
Not widely accessible
– Groups are only visible to Facebook members, so someone who’s doing a search onFacebook won’t be able to see it unless they have a profile and are logged in.
No extra applications
– You can’t add extra features to Facebook groups – what you see is what you get,which is generally the bare-bones stuff such as discussion boards, a wall, photo gallery, and basicadministrative features.
Need to visit regularly
– If you post a message to the group’s wall, you won’t see if or when someoneresponded to what you wrote, unless you go back and visit often. This can be a big drawback if you want tofacilitate a flowing conversation.
Less visibility on people’s profiles
– When you join a group, it gets added to a long list of the other groupsthat you’re already a member of – and one that isn’t bulleted and lists the groups in no particular order toboot. If someone has a lot of groups, it’s difficult to find yours among all the others.
On the other hand, Facebook fan pages were made almost exclusively to allow people to connect withbrands and artists. There are many more benefits to using a fan page than using a group:
– Pages can be seen and found on the Internet by people who aren’t members of Facebook, so you do gain wider exposure in that sense. But even so, you have to be a member of Facebookto interact with the group.
Applications are available
– As the page administrator, you can add applications to your page, similar tothe way you can add applications to your Facebook profile. For example, you can add an application thatimports your RSS feed from your blog and displays your new posts whenever you post something to yourblog.
– Facebook has provided page administrators a tool that lets them know how many visitors thatthey’re getting.
– On your profile page, groups are displayed at the bottom with an image associated withthat group next to it. The presentation and use of an image means that you get better visibility on theirprofile, making it easier for them (and others) to find your page.
Actions are documented
– If a fan of your page takes action on it, such as writing on your wall or posting avideo, their actions will be documented on the news feeds of their personal pages. Their friends will seethe news feeds and if curious, check out your page – giving you more exposure.