Buying fresh fish is easy once you've learned the basic
methods for determining its quality. Just follow these
Flesh - The flesh should be firm and elastic to the
touch, and should not be separating from the bone.
Fillets should have a fresh-cut appearance and the
color should resemble freshly filleted fish.
Appearance - Fresh fillets, steaks, chunks, cuts, etc.
should look moist, firm, and practically free of any
brownish streaks throughout the meat. If, when you
press your finger into the flesh, there is an
indentation that fills with liquid, or if there is
excessive liquid in the package, the fish has probably
been frozen and thawed.
Gills - If present, the gills should be bright red and
free of slime. As the fish begins to deteriorate, the
gills change color, fading to a pink, then gray.
Eventually they will become brownish and greenish.
Place frozen crab legs in microwave and cover with a
damp towel to prevent moisture loss.
Heat for 5 minutes on defrost cycle.
Brush with melted butter, season and serve with
1 teaspoon paprika
1/8 teaspoon white pepper
1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 cup olive oil
1 tablespoon lemon juice
2 10-ounce rock lobster tails, thawed
1) Split rock tails lengthwise with a large knife.
2) Mix seasoning with oil and lemon juice.
3) Brush meat side of tail with marinade.
4) Pre-heat grill and place rock tails meat side down
and grill 5 - 6 minutes until well scored.
5) Turn over lobster and cook another 6 minutes,
brushing often with remaining marinade.
6) Lobster is done when it is opaque and firm to the
1 pound blue crab meat
1 teaspoon shallot, minced
1 teaspoon parsley
1 tablespoon mayonnaise
1 tablespoon bread crumbs
1 whole egg
2 whole 1 1/4 pound Maine lobsters
1 stick butter, cut into pieces
1 teaspoon paprika
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1) Split lobsters lengthwise with a large knife, remove stomach sac.
2) Place equal portions of crab stuffing in each head.
3) Crack claws with the blunt side of knife.
4) Pour lemon juice on tail meat, then sprinkle with paprika and dot with pieces of butter.
5) Bake in a 400\u00b0F oven for 15 minutes.
6) Serve with melted butter and lemon wedges.
18 Live Soft Shell Crabs
1 Teaspoon Salt
1/4 Teaspoon Black Pepper, Ground
1/4 Teaspoon Garlic Powder
1/4 Teaspoon Onion Powder
2 oz lemon Juice
3 Dashes of Soy Sauce
1 Cup Flour
3 Eggs, Beaten
2 Cups Plain Breadcrumbs
1) Clean crabs (refer to how to clean crab procedure) but do not remove top shell.
2) Rinse well in cool water.
3) Place the crabs on a sheet pan and season with salt, pepper, lemon, soy sauce, garlic power and onion powder, then
refrigerate for at least two hours.
4) Place flour in one bowl, eggs in another, and bread crumbs in the last.
5) Roll crab in the flour, dip in the eggs, and then coat with the bread crumbs.
6) Preheat oven to 450\u00a6.
7) heat a skillet with about 1" of oil.
8) Saut\u00e9 crab on one side for 4-5 minutes, turn and continue until crab is crispy.
9) Place browned crabs in oven for 8 minutes until hot all the way through and crispy.
This action might not be possible to undo. Are you sure you want to continue?