andia National Laboratories began in 1945 on Sandia Base in Albuquerque, New Mexico, as Z Division, part of what’s now Los Alamos National Laboratory. Both labs
were born out of America’s atomic bomb development
effort—the Manhattan project. Sandia came into being asan ordnance design, testing, and assembly facility, andwas located on Sandia Base to be close to an airfield andwork closely with the military. In 1949, President HarryTruman wrote a letter to the American Telephone andTelegraph Company president offering the company “anopportunity to render an exceptional service in the nationalinterest” by managing Sandia. AT&T accepted, beganmanaging the Labs on Nov. 1, 1949, and continued inthe role for nearly 44 years. The Labs’ original mission—
providing engineering design for all non-nuclear components
of the nation’s nuclear weapons
continues today, butSandia
now also performs a wide variety of nationalsecurity R&D work.The Lockheed Martin Corp. has managed Sandia sinceOct. 1, 1993, for the U.S. Department of Energy (DOE). Most of Sandia’s work is sponsored by DOE’s National Nuclear Security Administration, but we also work for other federal agencies, including the Department of Defense, Department of Homeland Security, and others. We workcooperatively with a number of government, U.S. industryand academic partners to accomplish our missions. TodaySandia employs about 8,000 people and has two primary facilities, a large laboratory and headquarters in Albuquerque and a smaller laboratory in Livermore,California.