Pt Chevalier Historical SocietyMinutes of meeting Thursday 27th October 2011Auckland Horticultural Council Rooms
Meeting started at 10.30 am.Present: 31 peopleApologies: Pam Burrell, Graeme Perkins, Maurie Wallen, Neil Wallen, Laurie Mason, Shirley Phillips, Gwen An-nanCorrespondence received: Mt Roskill Historical Society (thanks for est wishes & small donation)President’s report :Mt Albert Historical Society – need support particularly with contributions to newsletter.Padmini Raj who was instrumental in setting up our society and producing the first edition of “Pt Chevalier Memories” is transferring to Blockhouse Bay library. Her contribution to our society is much appreciated andwill be marked at a future event.Funding- society needs to apply for funds to help with venue hire, postage etc.Treasurer’s reportBank accounts (September)00 -$976.18 01 – 2823.35ii) All copies “Pt Chevalier Memories” now soldGeneral businessJean Jones displayed folder she has put together of various documents from purchase of land, section subdivisionsetc. Folder is of general interest as the purchase of sections involves a large number of people apart from her fam-ily.Blockhouse Bay historical society has produced a DVD – it is oral history with pictures. Auckland City Councilmay be open to support our society should we undertake a similar project.Joe Cleal marked the passing of his neighour (Jean Empson) who was a resident of Pt Chev for 74 years.Des Gates commented on article in NZ Herald (27th Oct) about the tannery in Meola Rd.Guest Speaker: Dave Simmonds “A Maori perspective on the history of Pt Chev”Meeting concluded 12.05pm
named James Lowe was living in a house there by1939 – he and his wife Lizzie bought the propertyoutright towards the end of 1946. Lizzie Lowe inher-ited the property in 1956, and Eric and James Loweinherited it in 1962. It was purchased by Eric Cam-eron Armishaw and George Gonda at the beginningof 1963. These two were probably Wellesley Indus-tries, the developers of the nine-shop Pt Chevalier Arcade (first section) which opened there off PtChevalier Road in 1964.
Until 1970, No. 11 was a section owned by theCrown for state housing purposes. In that year, it wassold to a widow named Francis Irene Shrimpton, whoalmost immediately transferred the property to LeslieRoy Mills, company director, and solicitor JamesDenham Shale. By 1971, the property was owned bythe same insurance company who also (by then)owned the original arcade property.
No. 13 Pt Chevalier Road was purchased in 1921 byAmos James Mudgway, a builder. The property had anumber of owners and lease agreements on its record,including a lease to couple Frederick William andEllen Stonex – interesting, because in one of B R Elliott’s photos included with this article, a shop be-side what became the Self Help supermarket frontageon Pt Chevalier Road has the words “Stonex Bros”on it. Cutting a long story short, this property, likeI’m still feeling my way around with this topic,readers, because a full in-depth period of researchwould take more than a bit of time in going throughCouncil records, and possibly locating and inter-viewing some of those involved. But, this is what Ihave at the moment. Comments and additional in-formation from anyone would be truly appreciated.
The arcade-supermarket-carpark complex in PointChevalier lies at the heart of the shopping centre weknow today. It includes 9-13 Pt Chevalier Road )oldalignment), 1197-1205 Great North Road, and 8-16Huia Road (now just known as 16 Huia Road, thecarpark, in Council records).Originally part of thenorthern section of the 19
century Sutherlandestate, it had been part of a night soil depot, then putup for sale from 1907 by a syndicate which included brothers from the Dignan family.
The Pt Chevalier Road frontage was three sections. No. 9 (then known as 11) was sold to FrancisParkes, a Mental Hospital Attendant, in 1920. In1937 it was sold to Thomas Henry and ElizabethJane Emma Wilson, Thomas being the manager atthe time of the Portland Cement Works. A carpenter
An arcade, a supermarket,and a carpark