Price: $ 2875Cardiovascular disorders such as elevated blood cholesterol levels, hypertension, andimpaired blood circulation represent a major public health issue and are the number onecause of mortality globally. The WHO estimates that 29% of all global deaths in 2004 weredue to cardiovascular diseases. This report examines the emerging market for food anddrink products that target heart health.FEATURES AND BENEFITS
• Examine market data ill
ustrating the size of the heart health products market.
• Utilize product launch analysis to assess the potential of individual product categories for
• Use clinical trials analysis to identify the ingredients being used to target heart
• Use a patents landscape to examine the manufacturers who are innovating with heart
• Understand why the functional food market is encouraging the convergence of the food
and pharma industries.HIGHLIGHTS
• The US makes up the largest single
heart health food and drinks market, capturing aroundtwo thirds of the overall sector ($6.8bn in 2009), and is forecast to reach $10.5bn by 2015.In terms of product category, bakery and cereals dominates the heart health food anddrinks market.
• Hot and soft drinks made up almost a third of the heart health market during 2008–
10 interms of NPD. Fruit juices, tea, and dairy drinks were the most significant sub-categories interms of product launches with heart health claims. Manufacturers are utilizing manydifferent ingredients including omega-3, phytosterols, and various vitamins.
• The first health claims au
thorized by the European Commission pertained tocardiovascular health benefits. Plant phytosterols have been approved to lower bloodcholesterol levels, water-soluble tomato concentrate for helping healthy blood flow, andmore recently oat beta-glucan has been authorized to carry a cholesterol reduction healthclaim.YOUR KEY QUESTIONS ANSWERED
• How much is the heart health food and
drinks market worth?