Fudge can be made in advance, kept airtight in the refrigerator for a month, or wrapped well andfrozen for 2-3 months. When making a batch of traditional fudge if it goes grainy, all is not lost!You can choose any of these: (1) break it up and melt it with 1/4 cup milk, cream, or evaporatedmilk to make a great hot fudge sauce for yourself or the neighbors. (2) break it up with your hands and knead it until it becomes soft and smooth. Press back into the pan. (3)break it up, adda couple tablespoons of water, bring it back up to softball, cool, and beat again. It will be a littlefirmer, but still good. (4) break it up, add 2 Tbsp. water or milk, heat it, then beat in 3 ½ oz.marshmallow creme (or 3 ½ oz. marshmallows and ½ Tbsp. water), 10 oz. chocolate (1 and 2/3c. chips), and one stick of butter. This is assuming a 2 lb. batch of fudge is what you started with.Beat, using electric beaters if needed, until smooth and glossy. Turn into pan and chill.
Two-Minute Fudgesemisweet $1.25/lb. 5g fat/oz. milk $1.60/lb. 6g fat/oz
.3 cups semisweet chocolate chips1 (14 oz.) can sweetened condensed milk 1 tsp. vanilla pinch of salt, optional1 c. chopped nuts, opt.Stir together chips and milk, melt in microwave, stirring every minute. Stir in vanilla and salt.Pour into lined and buttered 8x8 pan, chill until firm- 2 hours in refrigerator or 20 minutes in thefreezer. Makes 2 lbs. without the nuts. To cut the recipe in half, just over 1 1/4 c. is 7 oz.sweetened condensed milk.
Milk chocolate fudge
- increase chocolate to 4 cups (2 12-oz. bags). Makes almost 2 ½ lbs.,without nuts.
Peanut Butter or Butterscotch Fudge
- use 4 c. peanut butter chips or butterscotch chips.
- use white chocolate chips, increasing to 4 cups.
Cherry Vanilla fudge-
stir in 1 c. quartered candied cherries, replace half the vanilla withalmond extract, use almonds for the nuts.
Cookies and Creme fudge
- break 16 Oreo cookies into small chunks, stir into Vanilla fudge.
Orange Creme fudge
(Creamsicle)- Make a batch of vanilla fudge, pour 3/4 of it into prepared pan. To remaining fudge, add 3 drops yellow food color, 2 drops red, and 1 tsp. orange extract.Drop by spoonfuls onto top, swirl in.
Caramel Swirl fudge
- melt 4 oz (about 18 squares) of caramel with 1-2 tsp. of water, drop byspoonfuls onto top, then swirl.
Candy Bar fudge
- melt 4 oz caramel with 1-2 tsp. water, stir in 3/4 c. peanuts. Drop on top andeither swirl in or cover the top with 1 c. chocolate chips, melted.
Chocolate-Peanut Butter fudge
- Add 2 Tbsp. peanut butter to hot mixture, before powderedsugar is added. Top with chopped peanuts if you like, pressing them in slightly.
Mint Layer Fudge
- Make chocolate fudge; spread in pan. Melt together 1 c. white chips, 2Tbsp. milk, 1/4-1/2 tsp. mint extract, and 1/8 tsp. green food color. Mix well, spread on top.
Make vanilla fudge, stir in 1 Tbsp. orange zest, finely chopped, and 1 c. pecans.
Peanut Butter Swirl
- Make chocolate fudge, melt ½ c. peanut butter, drop on top of fudge;swirl.