The only Iowa State graduate to occupy its highest office, Hilton grew up on a farm near Hickory, N.C., attended North Carolina State College one year; completed his B.S. inanimal husbandry at Iowa State in 1923; his M.S. at the University of Wisconsin in 1937.He was awarded the D.Sc. degree by Purdue University in 1945.He was county agent for Greene County, Iowa, from 1923 to 1926, then joined thePurdue staff. He was put in charge of dairy production teaching and research at Purduein 1939, and the following year became assistant chief of the dairy husbandrydepartment. In 1945, he returned to North Carolina State as head of animal husbandry.Three years later he was named dean of agriculture, where he served until becomingIowa State president (1953-1965).During his administration, Iowa State experienced the greatest growth in its history.Enrollment soared from 7,800 to more than 12,400. The "book value" of the physicalplant increased from $38 million to 471 million. The volume of research rose to $20million annually. Course offering and public service programs were greatly broadened.In 1959, a year after its centennial, the institution received official recognition of itsstatus as Iowa State University of Science and Technology. Upon his retirement fromthe presidency, Hilton was named Iowa State's first director of development.Dr. Hilton married Lois Baker and they had three children, Eleanor, Helen and James G.After her death in 1969, Dr. Hilton married Helen LeBaron, retired Dean of the Collegeof Home Economics.
This collection contains biographical information, addresses and speeches, Board of Regents’ materials, correspondence, minutes, printed materials. The records documentthe programmatic relationship of Iowa State with the other Regents’ Universities,student activities such as military participation, and agricultural research and other projects undertaken by the various Colleges within the University. Also included isinformation regarding Iowa State’s participation in national academic organizations,such as the Association of Land-Grant Colleges.
This collection is unarranged.
SPECIAL COLLECTIONS DEPARTMENT IOWA STATE UNIVERSITY