was erected about the year 1832. The first missionary here was the Rev. Mr. Robertson;two others subsequently officiating for a short period each; when in 1842, the Rev. JamesJones took charge and continued to reside here till 1854, at which time he was succeededby the Rev. G. Slack, present incumbent.A post office, several stores, an academy, public houses, mills, tanneries, a number andvariety of manufacturing establishments, and some eighty dweIlings, help to make up thevillage.Taking Bedford as a centre, about four miles to the east is
, near whichthe first locations in the township were made. In December 1834, a weekly Newspapercalled the "
" was started here and published three or four years, and a postoffice was opened in 1836. The Wesleyan Methodists have a society and house of worship here, which was built in 1861. A two story brick building for an academy waserected in 1854, since which the school has been in successful operation.The first Episcopal church which was built here in 1829, was taken down in 1860, to berebuilt, enlarged and improved; and when entirely completed, will present both externallyand internally, a fine specimen of church architecture. The Rev. John Constantine isincumbent. Stanbridge village also contains a banking and exchange office, three stores,two public houses, a tannery; grist-mill, the never-failing smaller mechanics' shops, andsome forty inhabited dwellings.
is a small but thriving place, one and half mile down the stream fromStanbridge village, and about three miles a little north of east from Bedford. The firstopening in the forest was made here in 1799, by Jacob Seagel, many of whosedescendants are now living in the township. About the year 1814, George Saxe built thefirst saw-mill in the place; and the first oat-mill in Lower Canada, was built here in 1827.A foundry was established here about thirty years ago by H. W. Rice, which has been insuccessful operation since, and more recently important additions have been made to theworks by Messrs. M. & C. A. Rice. The Messrs. Lambkins have extensive shops and thebest of machinery for preparing house-building materials, and are also largely engaged inthe manufacture of furniture of every variety of style and finish. There are also mills anda cooper-factory in the place. A post office was opened here some years since.Two miles west of Bedford is
; and five miles a little to theeast of north, is
is situated two miles west of Bedford, in the midst of an open andcultivated section of country, its general appearance indicating a village in its incipientstages. Beside the railway station, it has a post office, several stores, a public house, andsome ten or twelve dwellings.
Large tracts of land in Stanbridge were at one time owned by F. A. DesRivières, Esquire, (a French gentleman, as the name indicates) from whom it descendedto his sons, Messrs. F. W. and Henri Des Rivières, who were natives of Canada, and