Welcome to Scribd, the world's digital library. Read, publish, and share books and documents. See more
Download
Standard view
Full view
of .
Look up keyword
Like this
1Activity
0 of .
Results for:
No results containing your search query
P. 1
India: Gender Issues in Employment

India: Gender Issues in Employment

Ratings: (0)|Views: 38|Likes:
Published by ADBGAD
Presentation by Amarjeet Kaur, Ministry of Labour and Employment, Government of India
ADB-OECD Joint Workshop on Gender and 3Es in India, Indonesia, and PRC
ADB Headquarters, 27-28 February 2012
Presentation by Amarjeet Kaur, Ministry of Labour and Employment, Government of India
ADB-OECD Joint Workshop on Gender and 3Es in India, Indonesia, and PRC
ADB Headquarters, 27-28 February 2012

More info:

Published by: ADBGAD on Mar 05, 2012
Copyright:Attribution Non-commercial

Availability:

Read on Scribd mobile: iPhone, iPad and Android.
download as PDF, TXT or read online from Scribd
See more
See less

03/05/2012

pdf

text

original

 
Gender Issues in Employment
Amarjeet Kaur
Ministry of Labour and EmploymentGovernment of India
The views expressed in this paper are the views of the author and do not necessarily reflect the views or policies of the AsianDevelopment Bank (ADB), or its Board of Governors, or the governments they represent. ADB does not guarantee the accuracy of the data included in this paper and accepts no responsibility for any consequence of their use. The countries listed in this paper donot imply any view on ADB's part as to sovereignty or independent status or necessarily conform to ADB's terminology.
 
 
2
I
ndia’s
Resilience & Vision
India is committed to faster, inclusive and sustainable growth, which isthe fundamental objective of present and next Five Year Plan (2012-17)
Employment growth to be targeted at least at 2.5 per cent per annumcompatible with the 9 percent GDP growth in the economy
Promote labour intensive and high employment elasticity sectors toachieve the quantitative employment growth target
Focus on inclusion of youth, women and vulnerable groups with theirspecific needs of training and skill development
Provisions to empower women socially, economically and educationallyand provide improved conditions of work and remuneration
 
2
Employment - Profile
India is a vast country with a population of around 1.20 billion and awork force of around 465 million -131 million females(28%)
 –
about87.5 million women workers in agriculture
Open unemployment of 9.5 million as per estimates for 2009-10
Proportion of population in the working age group (15-59 years)likely to increase from 58% in 2001 to more than 64% by 2021
54% population under the age of 25 years (Census, 2001)-
‘youngest
 
nation’
in the world
About 6% of the total work force in India in the organized sectorwhile remaining 94% in the unorganised sector
Mismatch between skills supply and demand - excess labour supplyin relation to demand

You're Reading a Free Preview

Download
scribd
/*********** DO NOT ALTER ANYTHING BELOW THIS LINE ! ************/ var s_code=s.t();if(s_code)document.write(s_code)//-->