A chronology of key events:
- Bito dynasties of Buganda, Bunyoro and Ankole founded by Nilotic-speakingimmigrants from present-day southeastern Sudan.
- Buganda begins to expand at the expense of Bunyoro.
- Buganda controls territory bordering LakeVictoria from the Victoria Nile to the Kagera river.
- Muslim traders from the Indian Ocean coastexchange firearms, cloth and beads for the ivory andslaves of Buganda.
- British explorer John Hanning Spekebecomes the first European to visit Buganda.
- Bugandan King Mutesa I allows Christianmissionaries to enter his realm.
- Members of the British Missionary Societyarrive in Buganda.
- Members of the French Roman Catholic White Fathers arrive.
- Britain and Germany sign treaty giving Britain rights to what was to becomeUganda.
- British East India Company agent Frederick Lugard extends the company'scontrol to southern Uganda and helps the Protestant missionaries defeat their Catholiccounterparts, who had been competing with them, in Buganda.
- Uganda becomes a British protectorate.
- Britain signs agreement with Buganda giving it autonomy and turning it into aconstitutional monarchy controlled mainly by Protestant chiefs.