Welcome to Scribd, the world's digital library. Read, publish, and share books and documents. See more
Download
Standard view
Full view
of .
Look up keyword
Like this
1Activity
0 of .
Results for:
No results containing your search query
P. 1
MC-0322

MC-0322

Ratings: (0)|Views: 45|Likes:
Published by mcchronicle

More info:

Published by: mcchronicle on Mar 21, 2012
Copyright:Attribution Non-commercial

Availability:

Read on Scribd mobile: iPhone, iPad and Android.
download as PDF, TXT or read online from Scribd
See more
See less

03/21/2012

pdf

text

original

 
MERCERCOUNTY
ChroniCle
As Low as 59
¢
with paid subscription
www.mercercountychronicle.com
Established 1884THURSDAY, MARCH 22, 2012
75
¢
Greater Mercer CountyCommunity Calendar
Healthy Living ExpoSt. Henry Basketball
• Coldwater Garage SalesSaturday May 5,
for questions and concernse-mailcoldwatergaragesales@hotmail.com
** If you would like to haveyour event posted in theGreater Mercer County Com
-
munity Calendar, e-mail your information, at least 4 weeksprior to event,tomercercountychronicle@bright.net.**
Inside Today
&&&&
''''
 
''
DON’T BE A DINGHY...
Insure your boat! A boatowners policycan insure you against most risks of owning and operating your boat, its
motor and its trailer. From sinking or capsizing to fire and collision, boat
insurance is an island of comfort during stormy times.
Alice Ahrens
Ph: 419-733-0787
CARPET ROLLSIN STOCK
 Hapner 
Furniture & Video
Old Walmart Bldg. - Portland
Girod’s ConstructionAmish Crew
All Types of ConstructionConcrete & Remodeling Needs
Call 260-849-1581
Free Estimates Leave a message
Written bySkeet Wolters
 The Coldwater PublicLibrary is currently hosting acollection of quilts completedby the Friendship QuiltersGuild of Coldwater. NationalQuilt Day is the third Saturdayof March and provides theperfect occasion to bringattention to the art of quilting.Exquisite quilts are hangingfrom the rafters, quilt racksand on display panels for up-close examination and viewingpleasure.The Quilting Guild has16-20 active members whomeet each second Thursday of the month for lively quiltingdiscussions, show and tell,and often a prominent guestspeaker. They meet in theHoly Trinity Church basementfrom 7-9 p.m. New membersare welcome and encouragedto attend meetings.As a group, they enjoyan annual overnight retreatat the Maria Stein RetreatCenter that includes marathonwork sessions, sharing andfellowship. This year theywill be found in attendanceon July 19-21. The ladieslook forward to quality and aquantity time pursuing theirpassion for quilting.Field trips include a recentvisit to the local ColdwaterCreek Alpacas farm wherethey viewed the animals, thewool, and products for sale.Alpaca fibers are used as abatting or filling between thelayers of quilts. They travelto area quilt shops and lookforward to the Ohio One StopShop Hop in Dayton on July13-14 at the Hope Hotel andConference Center. MemberMartha Brannon, owner of Coldwater Quilting, is one of the coordinators of this event.In August 2004, JudyWolf and Kippy Gordoninstigated what has becomethe annual Quilt Strollthroughout the sidewalk salesduring Community Picnictime. The members put theirquilts on display in the storeand business windows forthe viewing pleasure andenjoyment of downtownvisitors. It has been an annualevent that is looked forward toby many ever since.As a community service theGuild actively quilt and piecequilts used to generate incomefor various organizations inthe area. These include BoyScout Troop 96, The CancerAssociation of Mercer County,Operation Freedom Support,Choosing Life Pregnancyand Resource Center, and theProject Linus to name a few.Marilyn Stall, facilitator of the group, shared that the guilddonates books and magazineto the Coldwater Library onthe subject of quilting. Sheis the coordinator of thequilt display and organizesthe many activities. Shecan be contacted for moreinformation concerning theFriendship Quilters Guild at419-678-1174. The quiltswill be exhibited throughoutMarch.
Art of Friendship Quilters Guild Exhibited at Library
Mercer Health officialsannounced today that theirMercer Healthy Living Serieswill continue on Monday,March 26, at Mercer CountyCommunity Hospital beginningat 5:30 PM.According to LoriShellabarger, Mercer Health’sPatient Advocate and organizerof the program, the topic forthis free program is “OvercomeClutter and Take Charge of YourLife”. The guest speaker willbe Barb Hennard, Ohio StateUniversity Extension ServiceEducator.Shellabarger explains,“Spring is the time of yearwhen we begin thinking aboutgarage sales and about clearingout all that clutter that we haveaccumulated over the years. Barbwill provide some great tips andtalk about how to take chargeof your life. It should be quiteeducational and entertaining.”Persons wanting moreinformation about the programor who would like to register inadvance can call 419-678-5615.The program is held in MeetingRoom 1 at Mercer CountyCommunity Hospital, 800 WestMain Street, Coldwater, Ohio.
Mercer Health Announces March Program
 
THE MERCER COUNTY CHRONICLE
Page 2
March 22, 2012
area obituaries
UPSTAIRS!
NOTICE!All Dinners Being Served
UPSTAIRS!
Handicapped Accessible!DINE-IN & CARRYOUT
 
CHICKEN FRY

SATURDAY, JULY 24TH
Only
$
6.00


 
SATURDAY,
March 24
PC’S & L
 APTOP SALES AND SERVICE
870 East Main Street ( Coldwater Mall )Coldwater, Ohio 45828PH# 419-763-1167 Toll-Free/Fax# 1-866-651-1925
OWNER: TREGORY L. PIERCE
E-mail : tcservices@hometowncable.neWeb: www.tcservicescomputers.com
 T&C COMPUTER SERVICES
Deborah Lee Kimball
age 63,of Celina, Ohio passed away at4:30a.m. on March 17, 2012 at herhome in Celina. She was born onJan 24, 1949 in Cleveland, Ohioto the late Edward N. & Elisa-beth Freda (Haydl) VanKorngut.A Memorial service will be heldat 7:00p.m. on Friday March 23,2012 at the Lehman-Hogenkamp-Dzendzel Funeral Home in Celi-na, with Rev. Douglas Meyer of-
ciating. Friends may call from
4-7p.m. on Friday at the funeralhome. Condolences may be madeat LHDfuneralhome.com. Memo-rial contributions may be made tothe Cancer Association of Mer-cer County P.O. Box 624 Celina,Ohio 45822 or Sue’s Animal Res-cue Team P.O. Box 146 St. Marys,Ohio 45885-0011.
Melanie Sue Fella
, age 60, of New Weston OH, died on Saturday,March 17, 2012 at Good SamaritanHospital, Dayton, Ohio. She wasborn October 30, 1951 in Newark,Ohio to Frank and Rosa Luella(Wise) Sessor Jr. Mass of Chris-tian Burial will be held 10:30 AMon Thursday, March 22, 2012 at St.Bernard Catholic Church, Burketts-ville, Ohio. Burial will follow inSt. Elizabeth Cemetery, ColdwaterOhio. Friends may call at the Ho-genkamp Funeral Home-Coldwateron Wednesday from 3:00 PM to8:00 PM and on Thursday from9:00 AM to 9:45 AM. Condolencesmay be left at hogenkampfh.com.
Lavern E. Muhlenkamp
,age 78, of Coldwater, Ohio, diedon Monday, March 19, 2012 atBriarwood Village, Coldwater,Ohio. He was born November17, 1933 in Celina, Ohio to thelate Herbert & Asella (Miller)Muhlenkamp. Burial will beheld 10:30 am on Friday, March23, 2012 at Holy Trinity Church,Coldwater, Ohio with Fr. BarryStechschulte, officiating. Burial willfollow in St. Elizabeth Cemetery,Coldwater Ohio. Friends may callat the Hogenkamp Funeral Home-Coldwater on Thursday from 2 to8 pm and on Friday from 9 to 10am. Memorials may be directedto State of the Heart Hospice 230W. Main St. Coldwater, Ohio45828. Condolences may be left athogenkampfh.com.
C & B
Sanning
 Auto Repair 
783 Weis StreetColdwater, Ohio 45828
Office: 419-763-1314Brad Chuck Bev
Carolyn June Heppeard
73,Rockford, died Monday, March 12,2012, at her residence. She was bornMarch 18, 1938, in Ohio City, Ohio,to Foster “Sam” and Georgia (Hoff-man) Heppeard. There will be novisitation or services. Condolencesmay be left at ketchamripley.com
Moira Jean Meyer (Dillehay)
,age 74, of St. Henry, Ohio, died onThursday, March 15, 2012 at herhome. She was born May 12, 1937in Piqua, Ohio to the late JamesL. and Mildred (Taylor) Dillehay.Mass of Christian Burial was heldon Tuesday, March 20, 2012 at St.Henry Catholic Church, St. Henry,Ohio. Burial followed in St. HenryCemetery. Condolences may be leftat hogenkampfh.com.
Blodwyn Marceline (Evans)McClurg
, age 83, of Michell,IN and formerly of Celina, OH,went to be with her Lord and Sav-ior on Sunday, March 11, 2012at her residence. Funeral ser-vices were held Thursday March15, 2012 at the Kuhner-LewisFuneral Home in Oak Hill, OHwith Rev. Herman Stewart offi-ciating. Burial was in Oak HillCongregational Cemetery.
Carol J. Selhorst
, age 84, of St. HenryOH, was surrounded by her family whenshe went home to be with the Lord at 11:35PM on Saturday, March 17, 2012 at Gar-dens at St. Henry. She was born July 19,1927 in North Star OH to Leo Stammenand Zita (Grilliot). Mass of ChristianBurial was held on Wednesday, March 21,2012 at St. Louis Catholic Church, North
Star, OH with Fr. David Zink, ofciating.
Burial followed in Our Lady of GuadalupeCemetery, Montezuma Ohio. Memorialmay be directed to Gardens at St. HenryActivity Fund. Condolences may be left athogenkampfh.com.
 
THE MERCER COUNTY CHRONICLE
March 22, 2012 • Page 3
A Look Back 
MERCER COUNTY CHRONICLE
Vol. 115 No. 12USPS 339-15560
419-678-2324
www.mercercountychronicle.com
The Mercer County Chronicle is published Thursdays at 124 W.Main St., Coldwater, Ohio by Mercer County Publications, Inc.Entered in the post office in Coldwater, Ohio 45828 as Periodicals,postage paid at Coldwater, Ohio.Available by mail in Mercer, Auglaize, Darke, Jay or Van WertCounty, $36 per year. Outside these counties, $45 per year.
Kami Phlipot, General Manager •
chroniclegm@bright.net
POSTMASTER:
Send address changes to:Mercer County Chronicle, P.O. Box 105, Coldwater, OH 45828
 Advertorial 
FINANCIAL FOCUS
Maxed Out on Your IRA and 401(K)? What’s the Next Step?
 
MAKING SENSE OF INVESTING
106 S. Second St., Coldwater, OH Bus. 419-678-3252 TF. 866-678-3252 John.yoder@edwardjones.comwww.edwardjones.com
This article was written by Edward Jones for use by your local Edward Jones Financial Advisor.Edward Jones, its employees and financial advisors are not estate planners and cannot provide tax or legal advice. Consult a qualified tax specialist or attorney for professional advice about your situation.Financial Focus is a weekly column courtesy of...
John M. Yoder, Financial Advisor 
If you are contributing the maximum amount to your 401(k) or other employer-sponsoredretirement plan each year, that’s good. And if you’re also “maxing out” on your IndividualRetirement Account (IRA) annually, that’s even better. But what then? If you’re already fullyfunding your 401(k) and IRA, can you put away even more for retirement? Should you?The answer to this last question is almost certainly “yes” — because you could spend along time in retirement. How long? Consider these statistics from the Society of Actuaries:* A man who’s reached age 65 in good health has a 50% chance of living 20 moreyears and a 25% chance of living to age 92.* A 65-year-old woman has a 50% chance of living to age 88 and a 25% chance of living to 94.* There’s a 50% chance that at least one member of a 65-year-old couple will live to92 — and there’s a 25% chance at least one of them will reach age 97.Because you have a reasonably good chance of spending two, or even three, decadesin retirement, you clearly need to accumulate substantial financial resources before youretire. So, if you consistently reach the contribution limits on your 401(k) and IRA, you’remaking a smart move, as both these vehicles offer the potential for tax-deferred earningsand a variety of investment choices. But if you can still afford to put away more money, or if your income level prevents you from contributing to a Roth IRA, you may want to look atthese possibilities:* Life Insurance Retirement Plan — A Life Insurance Retirement Plan (LIRP) isessentially a life insurance policy that can potentially help you generate tax-advantagedincome during your retirement years. Until you begin taking withdrawals, the cash valueof your policy has the potential to grow tax deferred. Then, when you retire, you can taketax-free payouts from your principal. (After the entire principal is paid, payouts are treatedas loans against the contract.) And your beneficiaries will receive the balance of the deathbenefit income tax free, minus any loans or loan interest.* Annuities — You might find that a fixed annuity can be an appropriate way tosupplement your retirement income. Like a LIRP, a fixed annuity’s earnings have thepotential to grow on a tax-deferred basis. Also, fixed annuities generally offer sometype of guaranteed rate of return over the life of the annuity contract. And perhaps mostimportantly, you can structure your annuity to provide you with an income stream you can’toutlive. (Keep in mind, though, that annuities are generally more appropriate for investorswho are at least 45 years old.)
Listen to us daily at noon on WCSM 96.7 FM 
If you have trouble with this niceweather then you must be in a badway. It sure is nice to have it this warm(in the 70’s) for this time of year.Maybe we had better enjoy it’ as Aprilmay be as different as March has been.Anyway this nice weather is a previewof things to come, as SPRING is onlya few days away as of this writing.Lets hope it will be a good Spring. Iguess we will just have to wait and see.Some of the farmers have been in thefields mainly with fertilizers only. Iknow they can hardly wait also.Kudos to the St. Henry Basketballteam as they had a great year andthe future looks good also. Theyrepresented Mercer County verywell as did Ft. Recovery. The biggestproblem was they had to play eachother. Wish there were some way thatwouldn’t happen. But I guess that iswhat happens when you play in a greatconference as the MAC.I wish there were some way to stopthe rising cost of gasoline. It is gettingto the point where it will becomehard to buy gas and food at the sametime. Those of us on a fixed incomeare going to start cutting cornerssomewhere. It becomes harder all thetime to balance a budget with the waythe economy is becoming.I don’t think it is going to get anybetter if something doesn’t changein Washington. It doesn’t appear thatis going to happen unless somethingdrastic happens this comingNovember.That’s My Opinion.......What’s Yours??
From the Archives of The MercerCounty Chronicle
10 YEARS AGO (2002)
To celebrate National FFA Weekrecently, The Fort Recovery FFAChapter recently held a truck andtractor drive-in to help promoteagriculture. Twenty four trucks andnineteen tractors were driven in thatday.
25 YEARS AGO (1987)
Coldwater Chief of Police DeanSchaller reported that vandalsshattered the front windows of eightColdwater School buses Sundaynight. Because of the damage, thethree undamaged buses had to“double up “ on routes Mondaymorning which disrupted someclasses.
50 YEARS AGO (1962)
After a public meeting in Celinaon March 21, the State Board of Education will now have untilApril 6 to make a final decision onwhat portion of the Franklin SchoolDistrict will transfer to Coldwaterand what portion to Celina.A Nickel Plate diesel railroadcab caught on fire Saturday morningenroute from Fort Recovery toColdwater. The fire was broughtunder control and put out by theColdwater Fire Department at thecorner of Walnut and Market streets.
1002 N. Meridian, Portland, IN • (260) 726-4919
SENIOR BUFFET
EVERY WEDNESDAY!11am-8pm
$
5.99
For thoseover age 55
It’s The Best DealFor Seniors!
Includes FREE Drink
NOTICE TO BIDDERSSTATE OF OHIODEPARTMENT OFTRANSPORTATION
Columbus, Ohio
Office of Contracts
Legal Copy Number:
120214
Sealed proposals will beaccepted from pre-qualifiedbidders at the ODOT Of-fice of Contracts until 10:00a.m. on April 12, 2012.Project 120214 is locatedin Mercer County, SR-197/707-6.33/16.12 and is aTWO LANE RESURFACINGproject. The date set for completion of this work shallbe as set forth in the biddingproposal. Plans and Specifi-cations are on file in the De-partment of Transportation.

You're Reading a Free Preview

Download
scribd
/*********** DO NOT ALTER ANYTHING BELOW THIS LINE ! ************/ var s_code=s.t();if(s_code)document.write(s_code)//-->