Welcome to Scribd, the world's digital library. Read, publish, and share books and documents. See more
Download
Standard view
Full view
of .
Save to My Library
Look up keyword
Like this
5Activity
0 of .
Results for:
No results containing your search query
P. 1
Sundarban - A Study of Its Ecological Value

Sundarban - A Study of Its Ecological Value

Ratings: (0)|Views: 2,267|Likes:
Published by Sharif Shabbir

More info:

Published by: Sharif Shabbir on Apr 07, 2012
Copyright:Attribution Non-commercial

Availability:

Read on Scribd mobile: iPhone, iPad and Android.
download as PDF, TXT or read online from Scribd
See more
See less

11/17/2012

pdf

text

original

 
Page | 1
Unit 1: Introduction1.1 Field Trip
The students of Env350: Coastal Ecology went on a field trip to Sundarban and was there from17-19 November 2011. The tour was organized by Your Bangla Tour and we were in KatkaExpress, the cruiser, which took us around Sundarban.We went inside the World Heritage Site of Sundarban East Sanctuary in Bagherhat. We studiedthe ecology and its distinctness from other ecological regions in Bangladesh. We visited tworanges: Chandpai and Sarankhola Range. For anyone entering Sundarban, one has to takepermission from the Forest Department. After taking two forest guards with us from ChandpaiRange Forest Department camp we began our journey to Sundarban.We visited several locations inside the Sundarban:Harbaria Eco-Park, Chanpai RangeJamtola Beach, Katka, Sarankhola RangeKochikhali, Katka, Sarankhola RangeKaramjal deer and crocodile rearing station
1.2 Objectives & Methodology
We worked as groups and our group was called EcoExpress. There were 5 groups in total Thisfield trip was mainly for us to understand the characteristics of a coastal ecology in Bangladeshand studying the ecology of Sundarban really helped us in that area.The
objectives
that we had in mind for this field trip were:To discover the uniqueness of mangrove forests in SundarbanTo see the functions of the Sundarban ecosystemTo study the adaptive features of some speciesTo understand the importance of saving the remaining mangrove ecosystem in SundarbanTo analyze the conservation work being carried out in Sundarban
 
Page | 2
The
methodology
used in order to achieve our objectives:Observational skillsCommunication with locals and FD staff PhotographySecondary source: Internet, for information
Unit 2: Sundarban2.1 Map
The map on the left showsthe four ranges of Sundarban.We visited the SundarbanEast i.e. Chandpai andSarankhola Range. Boththese two ranges form theSundarban East WildlifeSanctuary. Khulna range is inthe Sundarban SouthWildlife Sanctuary while theBurigoalini range is in theSundarban West WildlifeSanctuary.
 
 
Page | 3
2.2 Background
Sundarban is situated at the west of main outflow of the Ganges-Brahmaputra-Meghna riversystem. Total area of the entire Sundarban is about 1 million ha. and about 60% (595,000ha) is inBangladesh and the rest 40% in India. The two countries are divided by the Raimangal River.Sundarban is a Ramsar Site and in 1997, UNESCO declared the Sundarban in Bangladesh aWorld Heritage Site. The Protected Area portion of the Sundarban in Bangladesh is under threeSanctuaries and its total size is 139,700 ha. They were established in 1977 under the BangladeshWildlife Preservation Act, 1974. Sundarban West Wildlife Sanctuary is 71,502ha, SundarbanEast Wildlife Sanctuary is 31,226ha and Sundarban South Wildlife Sanctuary is 36,970ha. Theentire Sundarban is Reserved Forest under the Indian Forest Act, 1878. Even though Sundarbanhas lost half of its inland area over the last 200 years through human encroachment, over 10,000km
2
of continuous mangroves still remain.The three sanctuaries are filled with complex networks of rivers, canals and creeks. Mud flatsand small islands are visible at every turn. Because of the many waterways flowing through theSundarban almost every part is accessible by boat. Two-third of Sundarban is land and the rest iswater. (Sarah 0930156)
 
©Sarah Sanabam

Activity (5)

You've already reviewed this. Edit your review.
1 thousand reads
1 hundred reads
Perboti Mitro added this note
Thanks for publishing all these important informations...
Sharif Shabbir liked this
Sharif Shabbir liked this

You're Reading a Free Preview

Download
/*********** DO NOT ALTER ANYTHING BELOW THIS LINE ! ************/ var s_code=s.t();if(s_code)document.write(s_code)//-->