Offices or organization which is under control of government is called government or national
organizations. Minister of parliament are generally being the head of the government
organizations. Under the supervision of ministers secretaries and other lower level personnel
operate the organizations. There are different governmental organizations in Bangladesh such as
prime minister’s office, Jatiya Sangsad, LGED, RAB, Bangladesh Jute Research Institute, DCC,
Bangladesh Police, National Board of Revenue (NBR),Ministry of Foreign Affairs Bangladesh,
Bangladesh Navy, Bangladesh Military, Bangladesh Post office, Rajuk, Bangladesh Navy,
Bangladesh Air force, BIWTA, Bangladesh public service commission, Bangladesh petroleum
corporation, Bangladesh chemical industries, Department of immigration and passport,
Bangladesh Shipping corporation etc.
A country is like a human being. If a man is well enough he can serve the nation by his
hard labor. Govt organizations are the part of the country. If these organizations are devoted to
the welfare of the country, long term development and peace will be achieved in the long run.
But if this organizations lack patriotism and influenced by political power then long term
development and advancement is hampered greatly.
It is often said that the standard of management in Bangladesh is at least fifty years backward to
that of western countries. Again this standard, whatever is there at the moment, has been falling
by the day. Nationalization of industries after independence in 1972 opened up the possibility of
a revolutionary improvement in the management practice of hitherto private and public section.
But things have not been changed on the favor. Consequence upon the nationalization of large
industries in Bangladesh after liberation, the responsibility to build its managerial capability was
entirely vested upon the government. A three tier system of management was introduced without
prior preparation, training and commitment to run it effectively. But the three tier system failed.
Thus the nationalized organization remains ill managed. This accounts for the ever-increasing
inefficiency of Bangladesh national organization.
In this report we will focus the managerial problems of nationalized organization and in the
last part we will give some solutions to overcome these problems .
Managerial Problems of nationalized organizations of Bangladesh
- Non –professional management: In Bangladesh management has not been developed as
a profession. Managers are not professionally oriented to serve their country as those of
other developed country .They do not feel that they do have a social responsibility to
perform. In the private sector, managers are mostly the relations and family members of
owners and a distinct type of management called ―family management‖ has developed
which is basically against professionalism.
- Unskilled labor: Bangladesh suffers from an acute shortage of skilled labor. Large scale
export of manpower over the years since independence has caused a severe shortage of
skilled workers in our industries.
- Autocracy: Democracy is almost absent in our industrial management. Owners/managers
consider workers as a mere factor of production. Thus a master-servant relationship
prevails in between the managers and workers. This demotivates the workers in our
- Productivity and profitability at the lowest: Because mainly of a lack of commitment
and of skill on the part of both managers and workers ,the productivity and profitability
of Bangladesh industries is one of the lowest in the world. In most cases productivity is
so low that it does not justify the existence of management at all. This is the most
significant sign of ill management and explains why Bangladesh is industrially backward.
- Strained industrial relations: Neither the owners nor the workers are happy in our
industries. The results are frequent strikes and/or lockouts. Interferences by the
Government and the political parties in the internal affairs of trade unions also cause
some problems which management finds much too difficult to solve.
- Indiscipline: Management means discipline and indiscipline indicates mismanagement.
Our industrial management is characterized by indiscipline. Neither the managers, nor the
workers have been used to industrial discipline. Absence of a code of discipline and a set
principle of accountability has allowed the workers and also the managers to avoid
- Backward technique and technology: These are inherent in mismanagement. But the
use of modern technique and technology can hardly be avoided for ensuring
competiveness of modern industries both in the home and the foreign markets.
Management techniques such as simulation, PERT, Decision tree etc,are essential now a
days. Computer and information technologies have revolutionized management in
advanced societies and no business worth the name can exist without their use these days.
Bangladesh industries can survive and prosper only through their use. The logic of
adopting appropriate technology in our context however holds good for the time being
but not for all time to come.
- Unhealthy working environment: Working environment of our industrial enterprises is
not appropriate and healthy .workers has to work under unhygienic environment. They do
not even get pure drinking water and these cause them to suffer from various diseases, t
hereby making them physically weak.
- Insecurity of job and low morale: Workers and even managers suffer from a sense of
insecurity in their jobs. This insecurity is the highest in the nationalized organization.
Even collective bargaining has not been established on a sound basis. Employers are at
their free-will to hire and fire and this tends to lower the morale of employees to work
- Political influence: One of the major problems in national organization is that national
organizations are very much influenced by political members. Due to the entrance of
political influence it is quiet difficult to find qualified and talented working employees in
the workplace. As the organization is maintained by those under skilled employees it is
often seen the lack of proper maintenance and control. As a result no good plan and goal
cannot be fruitful.
- Lack of good relation: A country like Bangladesh depends mainly on foreign help to
build mega structure like embankment, bridge, flyover, power plant etc in order to
develop the country. Not only to build mega structures, a country also depends on foreign
help to meet up the scarcity of food and other necessary commodities. So it is very much
necessary to keep good relationship with foreign countries. But if unskilled persons are
employed in foreign affairs that have no knowledge of international relationship then it is
very difficult to keep good relationship with foreign delegates and other high level
persons. As a result development is greatly hampered and foreign investment is reduced.
Moreover corruption in the organization reduces the country’s reputation. A recent
incident about World Bank’s refusal to donate money to build PADMA Bridge is a real
- Misappropriate: The income tax authority is responsible to collect tax from people in
Bangladesh. But this organization is heavily influenced by government employs such as
ministers, secretary etc. Due to political influence many corrupted people get
appointment in this govt organization and misuse his power by misappropriating public
- Bribery: Bribery is one of the main problems in our nationalized organizations. Almost
every govt organization in Bangladesh is suffered by bribery. Among them Bangladesh
police is on the top. We often find in the nationalized bank that file transfer is often
suffered by bribery. The most bribery suffered organization is secretariat. If anyone want
to meet up with any minister he/she has to give bribe to minister’s PA or other peoples
who are acquainted with that minister. Another organization is court. People are always
harassed by different types of people in the court. Advocates always charge high prices to
- Lack of liability to explain one’s conduct: In Bangladesh employees of govt
organization find the advantage of not to be liable for their conduct, workings to any
other person. A large number of people become autonomous and do different works as
their own will. As a result proper chain of command is not properly maintained. That
means nobody knows to whom he/she should be responsible for their workings.
- Corruption in recruitment: We know that BPSC (Bangladesh public service
commission) is responsible for judging the talent of young generation and make them
appointed in the top level jobs in the country. But it is matter of sorrow that corruption
has made the commission more and more questionable. Sometimes employees of BPSC
take large number of misappropriate to appoint their relatives in jobs and help them to
pass in the BCS. As a result the whole organizations are filled up by unqualified persons.
- Not making the transition from worker to manager: Becoming a manager requires the
development of a whole new set of business skills – people skills. In our country some of
the most talented employees from a technical perspective become the worst managers
because they fail to make the transition from worker to manager.
- Not setting clear goals and expectations: Effective performance starts with clear goals.
If the manager doesn’t set goals with his employees, his organization often has no
direction and his employees have few challenges. Therefore, his employees have little
motivation to do anything but show up for work and collect their paychecks. His
employees' goals begin with a vision of where they want to be in the future. Meet with
his employees to develop realistic, attainable goals that guide them in their efforts to
achieve the organization's vision. In our country managers keep employees in the dark.
Managers should help workers to help him, and his organization, by setting goals and
then by working with them to achieve those goals. In Bangladeshi national organization
employees do not know their organization’s overall goal and about their working related
- Failing to delegate: Some surveys rank "inability to delegate" as the No.1 reason that
managers fail. Despite the ongoing efforts of many managers to prove otherwise, one
can't do everything by oneself. And even if someone could, doing everything by oneself
isn't the most effective use of his time or talent as a manager. When a manager delegate
works to employees, he multiplies the amount of work that they can do. A project that
seems overwhelming on the surface is suddenly quite manageable when managers divide
it up among 12 different employees. Furthermore, when a mager delegate works to
employees, he also creates opportunities to develop their work and leadership skills.
Whenever a manager takes on a new assignment or works on an ongoing job he should
delegate that work among different employees. In our country managers of nationalized
organization do not manager the employees and thus cannot distribute work portions
effectively among work groups. As a result the manager cannot meet up the deadline
which diminishes the reputation of the organization.
- Failing to communicate: In many nationalized organizations, most employees don't
have a clue about what's going on. Information is power, and some managers use
information — in particular, the control of information – to ensure that they're the most
knowledgeable and therefore the most valuable individuals in an organization. Some
managers shy away from social situations and naturally avoid communicating with their
employees — especially when the communication is negative in some way. Others
simply don't make efforts to communicate information to their employees on an ongoing
basis, letting other, more pressing business take precedence by selectively "forgetting" to
tell their employees. The health of today's organizations — especially during times of
change — depends on the widespread dissemination of information throughout an
organization and the communication that enables this dissemination to happen.
Employees’ must be empowered with information so that they can make the best
decisions at the lowest possible level in the organization, quickly and without the
approval of higher-ups.
- Not recognizing employee achievements: In these days of constant change, downsizing,
and increased worker uncertainty, finding ways to recognize employees for the good that
they do is more important than ever. The biggest misconception is that managers don't
want to recognize employees. Most managers agree that rewarding employees is
important; they just aren't sure how to do so and don't take the time or effort to recognize
their employees. The most effective reward — personal and written recognition from
one's manager — doesn't cost anything. But this practice is not available in our
- Procrastination: One of the main problems in our nationalized organization is
procrastination. No work happens in our nationalized organization in due time. Managers
keep sloth all over the year and make people boring about their working pace. The main
reason is that managers of a nationalized organization have not to be liable to anyone for
their work. As a result they work at their own will which results employee dissatisfaction.
- Nepotism: Almost all nationalized organization the practice of nepotism is seen. It is
seen that managers who have some political influence try to appoint people who are
relative of the manager and it is also found that during promotion those people get
promotion quickly than the others.
- Lack of learning: Successful managers find the best ways to get tasks done and
accomplish their goals, and then they develop processes and policies to institutionalize
these effective approaches to doing business. This method is great as long as the
organization's business environment doesn't change. However, when the business
environment does change, if the manager doesn't adjust — that is, doesn't learn — the
organization suffers as a result. In our nationalized organization employee training is not
found. So when they are shifted from one branch to another they find it difficult to cope
with the environment of that new branch. Certainly it affects the employee performance
and creates bad impression among colleagues. Today, managers have to be ready to
change the way they do business as their environments change around them. They have
to constantly learn, experiment, and try new methods. If a manager doesn't adapt, he or
she is doomed to extinction — or at least irrelevance.
- Resisting change: In our nationalized organization managers and employees are
confined within the organizational boundary. They are not interested to analyze the
business world and try to learn new things with their own interest. As result they cannot
handle any resistance of change. It is because they lack the expertise about the outside
world and they are not properly trained to handle critical situations.
- Going for the quick fix over the lasting solution: In our nationalized organization
managers suffers greatly when they face any critical situation. Due to lack of proper
expertise they fall in a dilemma to the way of fixing over a lasting solution.
- Lack of co-ordination: Absence of co-ordination and sense of dedication toward nation
turns the whole management set up corrupt and inefficient. Lack of determination and
direction also causes demotivation to workers who suffer regressively from a rapid
degradation of their wages and living conditions
- Falsehood: Falsehood among reports is a main problem. Organizations always submit
false information about country as well as the organization’s growth and development.
- Lack of proper planning: In our country no work is done without proper planning. As a
result we are deprived of quality work. DCC and other city corporations are real
examples that work without proper planning. As a result accidents are occurring
frequently. The roads are very much damaged all over the country because roads are not
constructed with proper planning and by good ingredients.
Solution of managerial problems of nationalized organization of
- Autocracy should be removed in the organization
- Practice of bribery should be removed
- Liability should be initiated
- Nepotism should be eliminated
- Transparency among work groups should be practiced
- Falsehood should be banished
- Proper employee training should be initiated
- Organization should be strictly controlled by government
- Co-ordination among work group should be initiated
- Employees should be dedicated to their work.
- Employees should be always ready for changing situation and expertise to handle
- Quality control circle which provides a unique feature among management should be
- Group decision making policy should be developed to improve quality and
acceptability of managerial decisions.
- Proper appraisal of employees should be effectively followed
- Employee motivation should be increased
- Patriotism mentality should be forced among employees
- Employees should be aware of the organizational goals clearly.
- Procrastination should be eliminated
- Good communication among manager-subordinates and among working groups
should be initiated.
- Misappropriate practice should be removed
- Law and enforcement organization should be the friend of the mass people rather than
- Managers and employees should always work for the welfare of the people, rather
than harassing them.
- Employees should be honest.
- Talented people should be employed in the organization.
- Political influence should be removed in the organizations.
- Projects should be done with proper planning.
- Delegation and recruitment process should be transparent.
Bangladesh nationalized organizations are filled up with various problems. By analyzing and
observing the ability and effectiveness of nationalized organization we cannot be proud of these
organizations. Our country is developing day by day. But what extent it should be developed, it
did not at that level. The main reason is that the lacking of patriotism and skill. Those who have
patriotism never gives priority of his own will and interest, rather gives interest for the whole
nation. But it seems that our nationalized organization always abide by the commands of
political leaders. They have no interest to the welfare of the country. If our nationalized
organization make a tradition to work for the betterment of the country development will
certainly follow our country and we hope that Bangladesh will be one of the developed country
in the world. All is needed is our self respect and honest willingness.