South Asia Tribune
Thursday 19 April 2012
A policeman recorded allegedly raciallyabusing a young blackman under arrest in east London last year will now be charged over theincident.
In a major u-turn, the CrownProsecution Service has decided
there IS sufcient evidence to put
Pc Alex MacFarlane before a court.The original decision not tocharge MacFarlane was taken back in January despite a mobilephone recording featuring racially offensive words. When the tape was made publicthe CPS announced a review of the decision as further allegations
of racism by Met Police ofcers
emerged.Today the CPS has said theoriginal decision was wrong and“regrettable”.MacFarlane will shortly be issued with a summons for a racially aggravate public order offencethough the decision not to chargehim with assaulting the 21 year oldstill stands.The lawyer who made the decisionis having his work reviewed anddecisions he’s made in other casesare being re-examined.The incidents range from racistlanguage in emails to the use of then***** word.
The gures, obtained under the
Freedom of Information act, date back to the Macpherson report13 years ago which followed thedeath of black teenager StephenLawrence and led to the Met Police being labelled “institutionally racist”. Also on Tuesday, a review by theCrown Prosecution Service (CPS)
found “sufcient evidence” to chargeMet Police ofcer Alex McFarlane
with a “racially aggravated publicorder offence”, and has now advised the Independent PoliceComplaints Commission (IPCC) topress charges.
The ofcer was accused of using
racist language against a 21-year-old black man, and was apparently recorded by the suspect on hismobile phone.Earlier this month, Channel 4 Newsrevealed 120 race cases inside theMet and just one dismissal duringthe same time frame. This data,gathered from 31 forces in England,Scotland, Wales and NorthernIreland, completes the nationalpicture.
Police racism: 293 cases,
Scotland Yard Pc charged with racially abusing riots suspect
Considering his ordeal over the past17 years, Sultan Alam has surprisingadvice for a young Asian man or womanconsidering joining the police: “Do it. Butdo so with your eyes open because no oneshould think they cannot break the glassceiling in any organisation.”
Monday Mr Alam, a retired trafc ofcer
with Cleveland Police, was awarded morethan £840,000 for loss of earnings anddamages after staging a one-man battleagainst his former employer dating back to 1994.Cleveland police admitted maliciousprosecution towards Alam during ahearing at Leeds Crown Court last year. It was there the trial heard that Alam’ s policecolleagues who had conspired to falsely send Alam to prison, were themselvesnever tried before a crown court. Three
of those ofcers have left the service, but
one remains a serving constable. Alam’s crime in the eyes of his colleagues was that he made a complaint about their bigoted behavior after he endured a seriesof racial incidents including being postedKu Klux Klan material.Having been falsely convicted of theft, Alam’s life fell apart. His marriage brokedown, as did his health, and reputation.During his time in prison – nine months
- as an ex police ofcer, he said that he
was a marked man, always ‘fearful forhis wellbeing.’ Like many of you I amconvinced that with the race cases that we already know about including thisone, along with the very suspicious andcontroversial recent Black deaths in policecustody, the call for a Public Enquiry intoracism within our police force is becominglouder and louder.
Clearly if police ofcers such as those inCleveland felt condent and arrogantenough to ‘t up’ one of their own, what
chance do we have or worse still, who’sgoing to believe a petty Black criminal
when they claim they have been ‘tted
up’? Looking back on his battle, Mr Alamsaid he never considered giving up. “It was never about the money. It’s about theprinciple. It’s about what’s right,” he said.
Asian ofcer wins
Cleveland Police forced to make payout for
racism that blighted trafc ofcer’s career
Lord Ahmed said the claim was“made of lies”. He added: “It wasa discussion about people
investingin Pakistan and yes, I did talk aboutillegal wars in Iraq and Afghanistan.“But I did not mention any bounty orPresident Obama. I will answer all theallegations made to the party leadership.”The peer said he had “video recordings”of his comments and would make them
public, if necessary, after rst giving
them to the Labour Party.Respect MP George Galloway, winner of the Bradford West by-election, said thesuspension of Lord Ahmed could proveto be “suicide as far as the Muslim votegoes”.Lord Nazir Ahmed recently invitedas guest Sheikh Rashid leader of thePakistan Awami Muslim League ,Former Federal Minister of Pakistan andDr Khalid deputy Leader of the Jamat-e- Islami Azad Kashmir at the House of Lords on Wednesday 28th March 2012 at6 pm Committee Room 3 . Sheikh Rashidis one of the leader of recently formed
Difa e Pakistan including Haz Saeed
Saeed, whose JuD is believed to be linkedto anti-India militant group Lashkar-e-Taiba, despite U.S. was unsure of Saeedrole in 26/11 attack The US announced areward worth $10 million for the captureor any information leading to the captureof Saeed, making him one of the most wanted persons in the world.
Haz Saeed, responded to the US
bounty and said that he will be in Lahoreand the US can contact him wheneverit wants. “The bounty is always set onpeople who are in hiding… There is nocase against me in any American court,”he maintained while terming the bounty absurd.
Britain’s Labour Party suspended LordNazir Ahmed after a report on Sunday quoted him as offering £10 million($15.9 million) for the capture and trialof UK and US leaders in retaliation tothe $10 million offered by the US forthe capture and trial of religious leader
Haz Saeed. Lord Nazir denied passing
these remarks immediately. His denial was partially accurate, given that henever mentioned the name of currentUS President Barack Obama or the word“bounty”, as the The Express Tribune hadreported. Instead, he made an “offer” for bringing to justice former US presidentGeorge W Bush and former UK primeminister Tony Blair for what he termedto be their war crimes. Likening the twocases, he said that if the reward for Saeed was ok, then his offer for Bush and Blair was also ok. Whether his suspension was for mentioning President Obama’sname, or the nature of the commentsitself is unclear.
Offer was for Bush and Blair not Obama
Continued from page 01 >>