Train2Game student industry experience diariesJames Bouckley at Unity
Well it looks like the movement problem I thought was impossible at the end of last week wasactually really simple. The script I was using for the virtual joysticks had a lot of variables that allsounded very similar. I was having a great deal of difficulty discerning which was which. I asked acolleague, Lasse, to come and help me work out which variables were which, and which I needed toreference in my player controlling script.I spent about 5 minutes running him through what I was trying to do until he pointed to the scriptand said "I think you just use that one." He was pointing to a variable simply called 'position', it wasa bit facepalm moment for me. I tried it and it worked straight away. I felt really happy that by theend of Friday I had managed to complete player movement, albeit with a lot of help!This week it was on to the enemies of the game. I needed to control how they act, the amount of damage they do, how much health they have etc. Despite seeming like a daunting task, I actually gotthrough it all with relatively little help. That is, all but the pathfinding component of theirbehaviour. I was adamant that I wanted to create my own pathfinding scripts for the enemies. As Ihave been working at Unity people have been encouraging me to find something I want to focus inand try and be the guy people come to when they need help with it. Having been thinking about thiswhilst making the game, it felt right when I thought about making enemy AI scripts. So this is what Ihave decided to focus on.Pathfinding is something that comes very naturally to humans, you look at a start, an end and
pretty easy to see the shortest route. Not so for computers. I spent a very long time thinkingthrough an algorithm, trying to find out if it worked, and thinking about how each part of it would berepresented in code. It was very difficult. The office at Unity has a white board wall, which is just awall that you can write on when you need to plan something
a bit too big for paper. So I had ago. After a few hours I narrowed down what my algorithm did to something I could see clearly in myhead.