LOS ANGELES APRIL 2012
1) Mariachi musicoriginated in theMexican regionof _______________.2) TRUE OR FALSE:Most Arab Americansare Muslim.
4) What countryis the sourceof the second-largest groupof Spanish-speakingimmigrantsin the city?
a. El Salvadorb. Guatemalac. Puerto Ricod. Nicaragua
5) How manyArmenians live in LosAngeles County?
a. 75,000b. 100,000c. 200,000d. 1 million
Which is the largestAsian group in the city?
a. Taiwaneseb. Thaic. Chinesed. Filipino
7) Who was livingon Los Angeles soilbefore the citywas founded in 1781?
a. The Mayab. The Siouxc. The Tongvad. The Aztecs
8) What is Saigu?
a. A Korean word thatrefers to the 1992riots, translating as“4-29”b. South Ameri-cans for Integrationand Greater Union,L.A.’s leading Brazil-ian advocacy groupc. A Thai sauce usedin noodle dishesto impart
d. The Salvadoransinger born inLos Angeles andadored throughoutCentral America
9) When did the LosAngeles City Coun-cil make it illegalfor places like thevaunted CaliforniaClub downtownto discriminateagainst minorityadmissions?
a. 1973b. 1987c. 1965d. Never
10) Abbot Kinneydeveloped theOakwood area, onPico between 14thand 24th streets,in the early 1900sto house:
a. Mexican farmworkersb. African Americanservantsc. Chinese shipbuildersd. Whites, who madeit a whites-onlyenclave
11) What led to thegreatest spike inthe city’s AfricanAmericanpopulation?
a. Gold Rush-related jobs in the mid-1800sb. The downtown build-ing boom in the 1920sc. Railroad jobsin the early 1900sd. Shipbuilding andother war-industry jobs in the 1940s
Take the CulturalCompetency Quiz
Think you know your way aroundmulticultural L.A.? Keep guessing
Name: ____________________________________ Age:____Occupation: _____________ No. of years in L.A. _______Race/Ethnicity: _____________________________________
Peopleof SpanishorLatin Americandescent2.
ActivistMexicanAmericans3.Onlypeople ofLatin Americandescent
3) Match the term with the deﬁnition:
a. Chicano b. Latino c. Hispanic
ILLUSTRATIONS BYPETER HOEY
TEST NO. 7899 / 7563 / 9954
3025-2920-2415-1914 OR LESS
Cultural commodoreMulticultivoreProbationary AngelenoSalt Lake City transplantIcelandic ambassador
The answers areon page 170.After you tallyyour score, it’stime to rankyourself.
Race in L.A.