Garofalo 3Trolley lines first extended into West Philadelphia in 1858, with the Market Streetline, and in 1866 at Chestnut Street.
The rapid transportation afforded by the trolleyshelped change West Philadelphia into a true suburb, as residents now could travel to andfrom their jobs in Center City with ease. West Philadelphia’s population grew from13,265 in 1850 to 69,404 in 1880, a tremendous period of growth largely attributable toadvancements in transportation.
In Mantua, the era of suburban houses came to an endduring this period. The large lots dating back to Judge Richard Peters’ day weresubdivided, making way for the row houses that came to characterize the area.The former property of Adam Everly provides an excellent example of Mantua’stransformation. Everly made his fortune in real estate in 19
century Philadelphia, and in1831, he bought twenty-four acres of land to build his country estate in what today isMantua. Everly’s estate was known as “Emlenton” after the Emlen family that previouslyowned the land. Everly’s manor is believed to have been situated near what is todayHaverford Road and 33
Street (see Figure 2). Everly died in 1865, and in his will hespecified that his estate should not be sold until at least fifteen years after his wife’sdeath. Mrs. Everly died in 1870, and in 1885, the Emlenton estate was sold to aspeculator. Emlenton’s twenty-four acres soon housed over 140 row houses. Thesituation visible at Emlenton is representative of what occurred in the rest of Mantuaduring this period. Indeed, by 1916 nearly every block in Mantua was covered in rowhouses (Figure 4 shows a few blocks of Mantua completely developed in 1910).