Kuvempu UniversityM.Sc. (IT)-4
SemesterMSIT-42 Distributed Computing (DC)
PART - A
I. Fill in the blanks:
1) Mobile computing is also called as
.2) The two kinds of system models are ____________ and _________________ 3) OMG stands for
Object Management Group
4) DCOM stands for
Distributed Component Object Model
User Datagram Protocol
is the expansion for UDP6) IP addressing has
number of classes.7) Sockets are software abstractions of
used within running processes.8) Java provides
basic socket classes.9) The expanded form of RMI is
Remote Method Invocation
10) DFS stands for
Distributed File System
11) Files are an abstraction of
storage.12) Hardware activities are co-ordinated using
clocks.13) External synchronization is also known as
14) A transaction run on
clock is maintained by the operating system from the hardware clock.
II. State True or False:
1) Resource sharing is an advantage of distributed system
2) UDP is a connection oriented protocol.
( it is connectionless Protocol)3) Routing metrics are used to measure the efficiency of the routing algorithm.
4) Client programs should see uniform name same in location transparency.
5) Vector clock gives more accurate logical clock when compared to Lamporte logical clock.
III. Answer the following questions:
1)What is distributed system?
A distributed system is one in which components located at networked computerscommunicate and co-ordinate their actions only by passing messages, Distributed System isthe interactions between two or more computer-based devices connected in some fashion.This is a rapidly expanding field, which deals with two primary issues: how do the devicescommunicate, and how do they interact. The former issue requires some network andcommunications software, and the latter requires some distributed software that allows thecomponents on the two or more devices interact in some manner
- Network of workstations- Distributed manufacturing system (e.g., automated assembly line)- Network of branch office computers