The temples of Khajuraho were built between 950to 1050 A.D. during the Chandela dynasty ofCentral. After the refuse of the Chandela dynastyin 13th century, the temples were left under thecover of dense date palm trees for many years,which gave the city of Khajuraho its name, Khajurin Hindi means a date. In the ancient times it wasknown as
In 1838, a British army engineer, Captain T.S. Burtrediscovered them. By that time only 22 of theoriginal 85 temples had survived.