1. Katherine is a young Unit Manager of the Pediatric Ward. Most of her staff nurses are senior to her, very articulate, confident and sometimes aggressive.Katherine feels uncomfortable believing that she is the scapegoat of everything that goes wrong in her department. Which of the following is thebest action that she must take?
1.Identify the source of the conflict and understand the points of friction2.Disregard what she feels and continue to work independently3.Seek help from the Director of Nursing4.Quit her job and look for another employment.
2. As a young manager, she knows that conflict occurs in any organization.Which of the following statements regarding conflict is NOT true?
1.Can be destructive if the level is too high2.Is not beneficial; hence it should be prevented at all times3.May result in poor performance4.May create leaders
3. Katherine tells one of the staff, “I don’t have time to discuss the matterwith you now. See me in my office later” when the latter asks if they can talkabout an issue. Which of the following conflict resolution strategies did sheuse?
4. Kathleen knows that one of her staff is experiencing burnout. Which of thefollowing is the best thing for her to do?
1.Advise her staff to go on vacation.2.Ignore her observations; it will be resolved even without intervention3.Remind her to show loyalty to the institution.4.Let the staff ventilate her feelings and ask how she can be of help.
5. She knows that performance appraisal consists of all the followingactivities EXCEPT:
1.Setting specific standards and activities for individual performance.2.Using agency standards as a guide.3.Determine areas of strength and weaknesses4.Focusing activity on the correction of identified behavior.
6. Which of the following statements is NOT true about performanceappraisal?
1.Informing the staff about the specific impressions of their work help improvetheir performance.2.A verbal appraisal is an acceptable substitute for a written report3.Patients are the best source of information regarding personnel appraisal.4.The outcome of performance appraisal rests primarily with the staff.