heart is set on (something)
- to want something very muchThe little boy's heart is set on getting a dog forhis birthday.
heart misses/skips a beat
- one is startled or excited from surprise or joyor frightMy heart skipped a beat when I heard my nameon the radio.
heart stands still
- to be very frightened or worried aboutsomethingMy heart stood still when the truck almost hitour car.
heart to heart
- candid, intimateOur conversation was heart to heart and we bothfelt very good afterwords.
heartbeat away from (something)
- the next person to take over someone's positionif they dieThe prince is a heartbeat away from becomingthe next king of his country.
- a feeling of being weighed down with sorrow,a sad feelingWe left the meeting with a heavy heart when weheard that our boss would soon leave thecompany because of illness.
in one's heart of hearts
- to know that something is true even though youmay not want to admit it or believe itIn my heart of hearts I know that I will soonhave to change jobs.
know (something) by heart
- to know something perfectly, to havememorized somethingThe little boy knows many stories by heart.
learn (something) by heart
- to memorize somethingThe children had to learn the poem by heart.
- to feel discouraged because of failure, to losethe hope of successI tried not to lose heart even though I had failedmy driver`s exam for the second time.
near to (someone's) heart
- an idea or something that is important to youand that you care aboutThe man's model airplane hobby is very near tohis heart.
not have the heart to do (something)
- to be unwilling to say or do something thatmay hurt or upset othersI did not have the heart to tell the woman thatsoon she may lose her job.
open one`s heart to (someone)
- to talk about one`s feelings honestly, to confidein someoneThe woman suddenly opened her heart to meafter I began talking to her on the bus.
pour one's heart out (to someone)
- to tell all of one's hopes or fears or feelings tosomeoneMy friend poured her heart out to me when wewent to the coffee shop last evening.
search one`s heart/soul
- to study one`s reasons and acts, to try todiscover if one has been fair and honest aboutsomethingI searched my soul to try and discover why mygirlfriend had left me.
set one's heart against (something)
- to turn against something, to become totallyagainst somethingFrom the beginning, my friend set his heartagainst my proposal for having a birthday partyfor our teacher.
set one's heart on (something)
- to select something as one's goalThe young runner set his heart on winning themarathon.
sick at heart
- very sad or upset about something