Your house is probably the biggest investment you will ever make and after working so hard for so many years to keep a roof over your head, of course you want to protect it. But do you understand all there is to know about home and contents insurance? From storm/damage/to dog bites and the puzzle over home vacancy, many home owners are in the dark about what their policies/will cover.


Home insurance covers the cost to repair your property from events such as fire, burst pipes, natural disasters, theft and much more. It is often split into two parts: building insurance covers your bricks and mortar, while home contents insurance covers you for loss or accidental damage to your belongings.


Loss or damage cause by fire

The majority of home insurance policies all cover for fire damage. This includes loss or damage caused by scorching or melting or by smoke or soot when there was heat but no flame. You must report damage or destruction to the police.

Theft, vandalism, malicious

You're reading a preview, sign up to read more.

More from BuildHome

BuildHome4 min read
In The News
The Building Designers Association of Victoria, the not-for-profit organisation behind the state’s annual Building Design Awards, has launched a new name, Design Matters, and a complete rebrand. The organisation’s new vision is to broaden, build and
BuildHome3 min read
Making Connections
The charming coastal town of Flinders on Victoria’s Mornington Peninsula holds many treasures — one is this architect-designed pavilion–style holiday home. From the drawing board of Alishia Minett-Johnson, founder of Minett Studio Architecture & Desi
BuildHome3 min read
Coastal Cool
Known for its historic bathing boxes and white-sand beach, Edithvale has long attracted people eager to live the leisurely coastal lifestyle. Finding a beachfront spot to build on isn’t easy and when one comes up, making the most of it is a priority.