The Railway Magazine

Thames-Valley TRANSFORMATION

Mention ‘Thames Valley’ to Great Western enthusiasts and their thoughts focus on Brunel’s main line between Maidenhead and Didcot, with its branches to Marlow, Henley and Wallingford. Not for them the ‘tramways’ that serve Hampton Court, Richmond and Shepperton!

More than a century ago, the GWR had foreseen the benefits of a ‘Crossrail’ by running through services to destinations other than Paddington. There were years when you could travel by through train from Windsor to Victoria via the West London line, from Greenford to Willesden via Acton Wells, or from Uxbridge to Aldgate via West Drayton and Bishop’s Road, renamed Paddington (Suburban) on its rebuilding in 1933.

Until November 1906, when the Hammersmith & City Line was electrified, a Great Western ‘Metropolitan’ 2-4-0T with condensing apparatus would have taken the train through to the city. From that date, the GWR steam loco of a city-bound train would be exchanged for a Metropolitan Railway electric one at Bishop’s Road.

Through working from the GWR continued until 1939, although a freight version remained into the 1950s when a condensing pannier tank would surprise Circle Line passengers at, say, Euston Square by suddenly emerging from the tunnel and lumbering smokily through with goods for Smithfield.

The Class 455 ‘Metro’ 2-4-0 side-tanks were of Armstrong design, weighing between 33 and 48 tons, depending on type. Those penetrating the cut-and-cover route east of Paddington were generally cab-less, presumably to keep footplate conditions at a moderate temperature. As well as condensing apparatus, they were equipped with ‘trip-cocks’ for operating the Underground signalling safety system, which automatically applied the brakes if a signal were passed at ‘danger’.

On electrification, most of the condensing ‘Metros’ had their trip-cocks removed and were sent elsewhere; the six remaining, with some 0-6-0Ts fittedfrom Subway Junction to avoid fouling the centre rail.

You're reading a preview, sign up to read more.

More from The Railway Magazine

The Railway Magazine2 min read
Thornbury Castle Sold For Great Central Railway Restoration
UNRESTORED Collett ‘Castle’ No. 7027 Thornbury Castle is being restored for operation at the Great Central Railway (GCR) following its sale to a private buyer by West Somerset Railway chairman Jonathan Jones-Pratt. The 1949-built 4-6-0 was bought b
The Railway Magazine15 min read
Coleman’s Coronation - The Life And Work Of An ‘Unknown’ Master
IT IS a little more than 60 years since Tom Coleman, the LMS’ chief draughtsman, died in May 1958. He was, arguably, the most successful locomotive designer in a period when some of Britain’s most effective and iconic steam locomotives were produced
The Railway Magazine1 min read
‘Merchant Navy’ Booked For RTC’s ‘End Of Southern Steam’ Commemoration
THE RAILWAY Touring Company’s annual railtour commemorating the end of Southern Region steam on July 9, 1967, will run again this year, with appropriate motive power on the front. Carnforth-based Bulleid ‘Merchant Navy’ Pacific No. 35018 British In