Los Angeles Times

Feds to probe Stephon Clark shooting after California attorney general declines to seek charges

SACRAMENTO, Calif. - Federal authorities said Tuesday they will launch their own investigation into two police officers who shot and killed a 22-year-old unarmed black man in Sacramento last year.

U.S. Attorney McGregor Scott and Sean Ragan, who heads the FBI's Sacramento office, said the probe will determine whether the slaying of 22-year-old Stephon Clark violated his federal civil rights.

"That examination will involve a review of the substance and results of the state

You're reading a preview, sign up to read more.

More from Los Angeles Times

Los Angeles Times3 min read
UCLA No Match For No. 5 Oklahoma, Remains Winless
PASADENA, Calif. - Jalen Hurts faked the handoff before cutting to his left and finding plenty of open Rose Bowl turf in front of him. The quarterback sprinted down the sideline before finally being pushed out of bounds, 52 yards from where he starte
Los Angeles Times3 min read
Rams Make Quick Work Of Saints After Drew Brees Exits With Injury
LOS ANGELES - The sizzle in the highly anticipated matchup between the Rams and the New Orleans Saints lasted less than one quarter Sunday at the Coliseum. Saints quarterback Drew Brees was forced to leave the game because of a hand injury suffered d
Los Angeles Times3 min read
'Hustlers' And Jennifer Lopez Soar While 'It Chapter Two' Maintains Top Spot
LOS ANGELES - Although "It Chapter Two" topped the box office for a second consecutive weekend, STX Entertainment's "Hustlers" was the big winner, posting a career-best opening for stars Jennifer Lopez and "Crazy Rich Asians" actress Constance Wu. Wa