How to Get an Extension for Filing Your Tax Return

For most of us, the deadline for filing your 2018 federal income tax return is April 15, 2019 (April 17 if you live in Maine or Massachusetts). But what if, for some reason, you just can't file your return on time? Don't freak out - it's easy to get an automatic six-month filing extension to October 15. You don't even need to have a good excuse or explain why you're asking for more time.

Be warned, though, that an extension to file doesn't extend the time to pay your tax. If you don't pay the estimated total tax you owe by

You're reading a preview, sign up to read more.

More from Kiplinger

Kiplinger11 min read
20 Most-Overlooked Tax Breaks and Deductions
You have to claim all the write-offs you're entitled to if you really want to cut your income tax bill to the bone. Unfortunately, though, people often miss great tax-saving opportunities because they don't know that certain tax breaks exist. And you
Kiplinger4 min read
How Much You Need to Save Annually to Build Your Own Wealth (and Where to Stash That Cash)
In my financial planning practice, most of our clients are young (in their 30s and 40s), making good incomes (usually $200,000 or more as a household), and ambitious with their savings goals (like the ability to choose whether or not they work at lea
Kiplinger2 min read
Till Debt Do We Part: The Golden Years Are Tarnishing
Without appearing overly dramatic, we are in a crisis. A real one. "In the past decade, there's been a steep increase in debt among households headed by someone age 75 and older," according to reporting at CNBC. If you are 65-74 years of age, accord