With new entries and sensitive edits, this fifth edition placesJ.A. Cuddon’s indispensable dictionary firmly in the 21stCentury.
- Written in a clear and highly readable style
- Comprehensive historical coverage extending from ancient timesto the present day
- Broad intellectual and cultural range
- Expands on the previous edition to incorporate the most recent literary terminology
- New material is particularly focused in areas such as genderstudies and queer theory, post-colonial theory, post-structuralism,post-modernism, narrative theory, and cultural studies.
- Existing entries have been edited to ensure that topics receivebalanced treatment
But I have begun to use this book. As a person with limited formal training in literary theory, I am finding this dictionary terribly useful. It doesn't just define literary terms, it gives a Reader's Digest elaboration on each term. And that is helping me to determine where in the treasure trove of literature I ought to dig next.read more