Start Reading

West Whiteland Township

Ratings:
Length: 176 pages59 minutes

Summary

Located in Chester County, Pennsylvania, West Whiteland Township was established in 1765 when Whiteland Township divided into "East" and "West." Readers can glimpse into the past at establishments such as The Guernsey Cow restaurant, Strawbridge & Clothier, and the Valley Creek Coffee House. A chapter on Richard Downing provides firsthand accounts by quoting personal letters of his life in West Whiteland in the 1850s. There are beautiful photographs from the time when riders chased foxes as members of the Whiteland Hunt. The township began to change after the invention of the automobile; for over 100 years, the area had primarily been a farming community, until businesses began to spring up along Lincoln Highway and Pottstown Pike. With rapid development in the late 1970s and 1980s, many historic buildings were saved through the preservation efforts of the West Whiteland Historical Commission.

Read on the Scribd mobile app

Download the free Scribd mobile app to read anytime, anywhere.