This action might not be possible to undo. Are you sure you want to continue?
1. Headings – This includes the name and address of the sender. Normally printed or typed in the middle of the pages just below the top margin. Example – EXCELLENT FOOD PRODUCTS LTD. 32,Sardar Patel Road New Delhi – 110006 2. Date – The date is written or typed flush with the right-hand margin of the letter. Example – 21 November, 1989 Contd..
3. Inside-address : The inside address contains the full name/designation and business-address of the person written to just as it would appear on the envelope. Its written on the left-hand margin of the letter. Example – Shri R.S. Srinivasan Managing Director Northern India Diary Farms Mehrauli Road New Delhi – 110049. If the person addressed to holds a professional title, then the accepted abbreviation should be used before his name. Example – Dr. R. S. Srinivasan Prof. R. S. Srinivasan Contd..
. For public limited company the name is written as it is. Daryaganj New Delhi – 110006. Saral Gupta. In the case of other firms and companies the title Messers is used if there is a personal element in its name: Messers Ramlal and Brothers 10 Netaji Marg.) Saral Gupta or Dr.) Saral Gupta or Dr. (Mrs.When a lady has professional or academic title. Contd. she may be addressed as : Example – Dr. without any title.. (Smt.
Jaiswal My dear Smt. Shinde Choice of Salutation Informal Salutation Formal Salutation Semi-formal Salutation Contd. Gupta My dear Kum. Example – Salutation Dear Ram Dear Seema Dear Shri Gupta Dear Kum.. Shinde My dear Shri. .4. Salutations: It is located two spaces below the last line of the inside address and flush with the left-hand margin. Jaiswal Dear Smt.
(b) the message that you are conveying along with essential details.5. (c) the concluding remarks. indicating what action you wish the addressee to take and/or stating your expectations. The body begins two spaces below the salutation. .. Body – Its contains the message of the letter and is generally made up of three parts :(a) an introductory statement specifying the nature of the business. Contd.
Dear Kum. Dear Friend. Jaiswal. Dear Seema. Yours sincerely. Dear Editor. Shinde. Dear Smt. Complimentary close – It is formal. Dear Ram. Complimentary Close Yours faithfully. Gupta. or Yours truly. Dear Customer. My dear Shri Gupta. . Dear Subscriber. My dear Kum. Dear Sir.6. Dear Sirs. polite way of signalling the end of the letter. Salutation Sir. My dear Smt. Shinde. Dear Madams. Jaiswal. Dear Shri. Yours sincerely. Dear Member. Dear Reader. Dear Madam.
. .1. Contd. write the correspondent’s reference number with date against ‘Your Reference’.Your reference/Our reference – To ensure that the office copy of every letter is filed properly an identification number is given in the letter against ‘Our Reference’. If you are writing in reply to a letter from some other organisation . Both these elements appear just above the inside address but below the date line. Two spaces are left between them and the inside address.
Example - Mutual Life Insurance Company 22. Sarojini Naidu Marg Hyderabad – 500007. . Attention – Shri Ram Prasad Dear Sirs. his name or designation or both are indicated against this element. Attention – When a letter is addressed to an organisation but is directed to a specific person. It is placed between the inside-address and salutation and two spaces are left both above and beneath it. Contd.2..
3. It is typed and double-spaced between the salutation and the first line of the body of the letter. Contd. Example – Subject : Donation to Cancer Ward.. Subject – An indication of the subject of the letter may quicken its disposal. The word ‘subject’ is followed by colon and then the matter is indicated. .
Identification marks – These are the initials of the typist. Shri.. but below the line of Signature. Example – If the letter has been typed by say. Hoshiyar Singh Kulhari his identification would be indicated as : Yours faithfully. R. if any.4. Sharma HSK Enclosure Contd. and they appear just above the ‘Enclosure’ . . K.
Enclosure – It is typed two spaces below the identification marks and the number of documents enclosed are indicated against it. A 32926 dated 20 November.g. they are specified. If the documents attached are important. Demand draft No. e.5. 1989 .
Indented form : .
Block Form : .
Full Block-form – .
3. Please fill in the enclosed form and return it within a fortnight so that we may send the cheque to you. This course will help the readers improve their spoken English. 2. . I-you approach 1. 3. The firm would be glad to demonstrate the working of the new washing machine. The policy requires that the person concerned should fill in and return the enclosed form within a fortnight for processing. We would be glad to demonstrate to you how the new washing machine works.(i) Be warm and friendly – A letter is personal communication and must therefore follow the tried principle of I-you communication Impersonal Approach 1. This course will help you improve your spoken English. 2.
2... We are of firm view.. 4.. We sincerely appreciate..... 3.. 6.. We find it hard to accept... Thank you very much for . 2. 6. You are absolutely wrong in asserting.. We are glad to know It is very thoughtful of you to have. . Avoid .. We are compelled to refuse. Your persistent request. 5..(ii) Be courteous and considerate – Avoid using phrase which are either curt or rude. 1. 7.. Many thanks for.... 3... 4... You will be glad to know.. Your statement that.. instead use phrase which make your letter pleasant and courteous. It is with regret that we express our inability. 1. Try these. 5....
(iii) Be specific and positive - Abstract / Negative Concrete / Positive 1. On 20 December. 2. 3. We are eagerly awaiting to hear repeated reminders. Please report at 3:30 p. 3. Your remittance will be sent after a 1. Please come for the inspection of your vehicle in the afternoon of 20 December. 2.m. 1989 for the inspection of your car. You have paid no attention to our compliant. Your cheque will be sent within a short time. . We have not heard from you despite 4. 4. from you. week. Please look into our complaint. 1989.
In point if fact 8. By reason of the fact that 4. Because 4. In compliance with your request 6. As requested 6. Should prove of interest to you 9. As instructed 2. This is to thank you Direct and concise – 1. Thank you . For December 5.(iv) Be direct and concise - Verbose – 1. As per your instructions 2. For the month of December 5. Soon 7. Attached 3. Attached herewith 3. Should interest you 9. In early course 7. In fact 8.
Present reader benefit information Induce him to take action Close with a clincher sentence . 4. Arrest attention through an attractive opening. 5. 2. Sales Letter – Guidelines for an effective sales letter :1. 3. Arouse interest in your product.
Sample of Sales Letter – .
3. 4. . Appeal to the company’s sense of fair play and to its reputation to motivate prompt action. giving data where neccessay. 2. Claim Letter : Few hints to draft Claim Letter – 1. Specify clearly what adjustment you would consider fair. Address the letter to senior officer of the organisation. Explain clearly what has gone wrong.
Sample of Claim Letter : .
Sample of Collection Letter : .
Sample of Enquiry Letter: .
Sample of Quotation Letter: .
Letter of recommendation – .
Letter of Introduction: .
Letter of Congratulation: Reply .
Informal Invitation Formal Invitation .
Acceptance / Regret to Invitation .
Condolence Letter .
Reply to Condolence Letter: .
This action might not be possible to undo. Are you sure you want to continue?
We've moved you to where you read on your other device.
Get the full title to continue listening from where you left off, or restart the preview.