CADBURY DAIRY MILK
Zoeb Eisa Dilip Mathew Nikhil Chitalia Rabisankar Mahali Lourdes Soares Ajay Kumar Srikanth Erraballi Harmanpreet Kaur
but it came to India in 1948. 1 most trusted brand in Mumbai for the 2005 edition of Brand Equity's Most Trusted Brands survey. Today it has five company owned manufacturing facilities at Thane. Bangalore & Baddi (Himachal Pradesh) and four sales offices.Introduction
• • • Cadbury Dairy Milk is a brand of chocolate bar made by the Cadbury unit of Kraft Foods. Cadbury is the market leader in the Indian market. Induri (Pune). Malanpur (Gwalior). Cadbury Dairy Milk emerged as the No.
• • • • • •
. The billion-dollar brand Cadbury Dairy Milk is considered the "gold standard" for chocolates in India. In India it has the largest share of the market with more than 60% of the Indian Market. Introduced in 1905. half is contributed by the company leading Brand „Dairy Milk‟. Out of which. Cadbury is the fourth largest supplier of chocolate and other sugar confectionaries in the market.
A bar of CDM is sold around the world every 2 seconds. Besides Cadbury Dairy Milk.
.a giant block nearly 9ft high.Important Facts
• • • • Cadbury Dairy Milk is sold in over 30 countries across the globe.1 tons . Fruit & Nut and Whole Nut are two of the best loved varieties .
The largest chocolate bar in the world . 4ft wide and weighing 1.was made by Cadbury Dairy Milk in 1998. Every year enough CDM is sold to wrap the world 4 times.
The Market Leader Worldwide operation Good human resource policies
Has not been able to standardize its operation Target population is quiet large Declining market demand for chocolates
Heavy investment in technology
Strong management team Good market reputation
Threat of change of the current external environment
Chewing gums. However the overall sugar confectionary segment in the Indian market has been declining with a total decline of about 19 percent recorded in 2007.
. it means that there is a high potential in the rural market. The confectionary industry is divided into the flowing specific industrial sectors: Chocolate(25%). However chocolate has recorded the highest market growth rate recording about 23 percent. Cadbury is also the leading player in the milk beverage segment which has been growing at a rate of 10.Macro level market (Industry) analysis
• • The confectionary industry in India is in its growth stage. Hard-boiled candies(18%). Éclairs and toffees(18% ). With more than 50 percent of the Indians living in the rural areas.1 percent. Lollipops(13%). Bubble gums(13%). Rural market has not been well tapped . and Mints and lozenges (13%) The total confectionary market is about 41 billion and total turnover of 223500 tons which is equal to that of established markets The urban market constitutes about 73 % and rural market 27 %of the total market.
• There are not many competitors in the confectionary industry that Cadbury has to compete with in the Industry. • •
. The other competitors are small compared to Cadbury and therefore the level of competition is expected to be a bit low. Cadbury is a market leader in the industry.
Éclairs Crunch. Perk. Celebrations.Product Analysis
Company produces a number of products including: • Dairy Milk. and Halls brands. Gems.
In the milk beverage section. Pops. Bytes. 5 Star. Mr. the company produces: • Cadbury’s Bournvita & Cadbury 5 star Magic.
. Dairy Milk Éclairs.
S. • Online products offering to specifically targeted market .
Potential Future Opportunities
• Growing chocolate and the general confectionary market in India. • Potential miss-categorization of new offerings. • Achieving and maintaining positive consumer attitudes for new products.Market Opportunities
Consumer Behaviour Issues • Brand recognition in a competitive marketplace.
• Consumer‟s wish to weigh less and stay fit. • Intense competition from major U.
. Improving distribution quality. brands . Uncovered Rural Market.
Untapped female market segment. • Direct marketing problems. • Health conscious market.. • Understanding consumer‟s cognitive decision making models for purchases.
• Negative publicity and protests by loyal Cadbury fans. • Changing knowledge content and structure of existing brands and products. Online sales.
The common aim and objectives of the corporation such as Cadbury includes the following: Survival. Growth-Includes Cadbury selling new products or expanding overseas. Specific: Not vague statements Measurable: Quantitative and verifiable Agreed: With those concerned Realistic: and achievable Time Related: to be achieved within a specific time period.Sustain market share over the year through product innovations in product development.
Marketing objectives: to increase market share Production objectives: to increase production Promotional objectives: Increase brand awareness Pricing objectives: to be cheaper than competitors.
Corporate objectives: to grow the company
Diversification. packaging. Improving the product image-Includes creating a new logo or launching a new brand of product and creating more attractive packaging.Grow shareholder value over the long term and which is often taken to be the reason why firm exists.Increasing of sales.
. Sales maximization. Profit maximization.Spreading of business risks by reducing dependence on one product.
60 and the price varies with the pack size. • Few commercials by which Cadbury promoted its brand value: “ Aaj Pehli Tarikh Hai”. The company has a total consumer base of over 65mn.
. • Cadbury has priced its products in such a way that even a person from the low income group could afford a Dairy Milk.5 to Rs. • Cadbury has improvised the quality of its products sold at several points by installing refrigerators at several outlets. "ShubhAarambh“ & "Kuch Meetha Ho Jaye". • Cadbury's distribution network encompasses 2100 distributors and 450. • Dairy Milk is available in the price range of Rs. Dairy Milk is widely accepted across all income groups.000 retailers. • Cadbury‟s products are available in over a million outlets across the country.Marketing Mix
• Good Quality (Ingredients) Cadbury Dairy Milk for the Indian Market • Packaging and Design • Sizes • Cadburys dairy milk has the strategic vision of “One Cadbury in every pocket”. • Cadbury has always been in the forefront when it came to promoting its brand value.
Segmentation & Target Market
Demographic Segmentation Age Gender Income Note: Generation Difference will not play a crucial rote in deciding the target Market.
‘Target Market is not Kids BUT the Kids in all of us’
. It appealed to the child in every adult. Cadbury Dairy Milk is considered to be a desert for the whole Family and not only for Kids. The target Market changed from Kids to everyone but still children and Youth are the main Target Markets. Behavioral Segmentation Decisions Occasions Geographic segmentation The targeted customers of Diary Milk have been changing from time to time and advertisement to advertisement.
according to a December 2011 report by Technopak Advisors Pvt. friends.
The chocolate market in India is pegged at approximately Rs.000 crores and growing at 18-20% per annum with Cadbury having a 70% share and Nestlé India Ltd around 20%. 2. Ltd. etc.
Cadbury India with its products Gems. Cadbury India Ltd is the leader in the Chocolate Segment.
. family. With high growth rate and High Market share.Positioning
Cadbury Dairy Milk is considered to be the perfect expression of love. Celebrations and Dairy Milk come in the Star Category. Five Star.
Another reason for Cadbury being such a successful brand was that it aimed at replacing the traditional sweet custom so prevalent in India. Indians have the habit of carrying sweets as gifts when they visit a friend or relatives. One of the marketing strategies used by Cadbury in India was introducing Cadbury as an after dinner sweet. Cadbury items became the new sweets.Marketing Strategy
• Cadbury‟s strategy to attract consumers is unique. Advertisements as well as the correct Target Market were the reason of successfully portraying Cadbury as an after Dinner sweet. Instead of focusing on the product. •
. it seeks to tap into emotions normally associated with chocolates.
consumption got resulted with the same segment resulting in stagnation. With communication continuously addressing kids.Marketing Challenge
To expand the consumer base by making Cadbury Dairy Milk desirable to the adult segment as well as the younger segment. Dairy Milk chocolate was always perceived to be meant for ‘kids’. This led to stagnation of the ‘Cadbury Dairy Milk’ brand in the eighties.
Different Campaigns to Support the Marketing Strategy
• Campaign 1 Campaign: Real Taste of Life Target : Just for kids' to the `kid in all of us„
• Campaign 2 Campaign : „Khanewalon ko khane ka bahana chahiye‟ Target: Widening chocolate consumption among the masses
• Campaign 3 Campaign: „kuch meetha ho jaye‟ Target: To associate Cadbury with celebratory occasion.
Each and every advertisements above shows their different Market Strategies. From targeting only Kids. even adults were targeted and were part of the Marketing Strategy.Other Campaign
Campaign: Pappu pass ho gaya Target: Encourage those who have passed the exams to celebrate with Dairy Milk.
Campaign: Aaj Pehli tarikh hai Target: The celebratory occasion of payday. which is an important event in the life of every middle-class Indian.
Campaign: Shubh Arambh Advertisement Target Audience For a new beginning in one‟s life The only way to recover was to change the marketing strategy and apart from targeting children even adults were targeted.
. The advertisements and the message they were giving to the audience clearly supported this marketing strategy.
Budget Profitability Efficiency (Productivity) Strategic Decisions 360 feedback appraisal system Specialist training courses
1. 3. 6.Review & Control
1. 5. 3. 2. 6. 2. Structure Systems Style Staff Skills Shared Values
. 5. 4. 4.
Improving distribution quality by addressing issues of product stability by installation of visi coolers at several outlets.
Right advertising campaigns were used to bring about the desired change in behavior of target audience.Contingency Plan
• Launch of low priced products. COCOA
New channel of marketing such as gifting for expanding the consumer base have been identified. Efficient sourcing of key raw material i.