You are on page 1of 1



Payment periods do not always fall neatly into one award year or another.
When a payment period falls into two award years, it is referred to as a
“crossover payment period.”

At a school
Semester Example with a
1998 term calendar,
January December the summer
term is usually
a crossover
FALL payment
January December


The basic calculation for a crossover payment period is the same as that
for any other payment period. However, there are additional provisions
for some summer terms. (See “Summer Terms” in this section.)

The school may make a payment for a crossover payment period out of Payment
either award year, provided the student has a valid output document for from either
the award year selected, except that if more than six months of the award year
payment period occurs in a given award year, the Pell payment must be
made from that award year.

The decision about which award year to use is usually based on the
student’s remaining eligibility in the earlier award year. For instance, if a
student had already been paid for two semesters (each at least 15 weeks)
as a full-time student for a full academic year in the 1998-99 award year,
the student would have been paid a full Scheduled Award for that year.
However, if the school receives a valid output document for the 1999-2000
award year, the student could be paid for the crossover period from that
year’s funds. Of course, a student may still be eligible for a summer
payment from the earlier award year if the student has not attended for a
full academic year. For example, a student who enrolls at midyear, in the
spring session, might still have eligibility remaining for the summer term.
As another example, a student could receive a Pell payment for the

Calculations 4-37