P. 1
Fort Bragg History

Fort Bragg History

|Views: 73|Likes:
Published by CAP History Library

North Carolina

North Carolina

More info:

Published by: CAP History Library on Dec 29, 2012
Copyright:Public Domain

Availability:

Read on Scribd mobile: iPhone, iPad and Android.
download as PDF or read online from Scribd
See more
See less

09/17/2013

pdf

On military installations, patterns of vegetation may designate boundaries,
specific land uses, and natural areas (Loechl et al. 1996, p 83). Vegetation
also delineates hierarchy of spaces; for example, the more prominent sup-
port buildings such as headquarters, chapels, hospitals, and officers’ clubs
have more elaborate landscaping than more utilitarian buildings such as
motor pools, quartermaster, and warehouse areas. The vegetation patterns
at Fort Bragg illustrate these ideas (Figures 43–49).

The native vegetation of the Fort Bragg area is primarily longleaf pine for-
est. Before military occupation the pine forests were exploited for naval
stores, but the forests were not significantly diminished. By 1931, the Con-
struction Division of the Quartermaster Corps had established a “Land-
scape Unit” to assist installations with the goal of improving their grounds.
Standardized landscape plans were developed for standardized buildings
such as chapels, hospitals, and theaters (Appendix B). The intention was to
plant trees and shrubs that “harmonized” with the standardized plans and
add aesthetics to the more prominent buildings on the installation.

In his 1939 article, “Landscaping the Army Post,” E. Mack Hallauer identi-
fied several principals—unity, practicality, and simplicity—as the aims of
good landscape design (Hallauer 1939, p 28). He encouraged the use of
plant material acceptable to the existing soil, climate, and local conditions
as well as the use of trees and shrubs to screen, frame views, separate
areas, and shade. At Fort Bragg, this was especially emphasized with the
1920s and 1930s landscaping providing an oasis in the midst of the barren
scrub oak and pine landscape of the Sandhills region.

The OPHD has mature street trees along prominent roads and most of the
residential streets. The street trees—mostly oaks, maples, sycamores, and
magnolias—add character to the historic district. The historic neighbor-
hoods of Normandy Heights and Bastogne Gables have street trees as well
as many other kinds of plantings. Before privatization of military housing,
the residential landscaping was left to the residents and consequently, the
plantings vary from house to house.

ERDC/CERL SR-11-1

56

Figure 43. Field and company officers’ quarters, looking south on Armistead Street, 1941
(Fort Bragg Cultural Resources).

Figure 44. One of the Macomb Barracks converted to the headquarters building showing
foundation plantings, undated (NARA SC111, Box 220, 386330).

ERDC/CERL SR-11-1

57

Figure 45. Postcard illustrating the house of the commanding general, 1940s (Fort Bragg
Cultural Resources).

Figure 46. Postcard showing the vegetation around the Field Artillery Board Headquarters,
1930s (Fort Bragg Cultural Resources).

ERDC/CERL SR-11-1

58

Figure 47. 1933 standardized planting plans for headquarters, bachelor officers’ quarters,
and barracks (Fort Bragg Cultural Resources).

Figure 48. 1933 standardized planting plans for theater, chapel, and hospital (Fort Bragg
Cultural Resources).

ERDC/CERL SR-11-1

59

Figure 49. 1933 standardized planting plans for Company Officers’ quarters and double NCO
quarters (Fort Bragg Cultural Resources).

You're Reading a Free Preview

Download
scribd
/*********** DO NOT ALTER ANYTHING BELOW THIS LINE ! ************/ var s_code=s.t();if(s_code)document.write(s_code)//-->