FEB.

11, 2013

NR # 3012

Solon opposes demolition of squatter shanties in Payatas dumpsite
A lawmaker has called for a congressional inquiry into the continuing demolition of squatter shanties in Payatas, Quezon City resulting in the dislocation of thousands of residents. In House Resolution 3013, Rep. Rafael Mariano (Party-list, Anakpawis) urged the Quezon City government to stop the demolition in Barangay Payatas B saying the clearing operations are illegal and arbitrary. “The demolition and clearing operations were done without proper order from the sheriff and local court,” Mariano said. Mariano said last November 27, 2012 and December 6, 2012, members of the Task Force for the Control, Prevention and Removal of Illegal Structures and Squatting (COPRISS) under the supervision of Officer-in-Charge Marlowe Jacutin, aided by members of the Philippine National Police (PNP), led the demolition and clearing operations at Phase 3, Block 2, Lupang Pangako, Barangay Payatas B. Mariano said the residents who are members of Alyansa Kontra Demolisyon (AKD) Payatas chapter are opposing the ongoing rehabilitation and development of the Payatas dumpsite facility. Citing complaints of the residents, Mariano said a certain Col. Jameel Jaymalin and his group are harassing the residents and continuously coercing them to leave their home lots and conduct self-demolitions in exchange for financial assistance of P27,000 per house. “While the Payatas dumpsite has provided both homes and a source of livelihood to thousands of families scavenging within and outside Barangay Payatas, the ongoing project in the area, including the expansion of the dumpsite, will result in the displacement of thousands of residents in the area,” Mariano said. Mariano said the Quezon City government is continuing its rehabilitation and transformation of the Payatas dumpsite despite the fact that the Mines and Geosciences Bureau (MGB) had already declared the area as danger zone. (30) jsc

Sign up to vote on this title
UsefulNot useful