This action might not be possible to undo. Are you sure you want to continue?
• India’s First Indigenously Developed SUV • It Was Launched In June 2002. • M&M Started Work On Project Scorpio From 1997. • It Was Designed To Target Urban Market To Fulfill The Demand Of Passenger Car As Well As SUV Fans And Having Comfort And Elegance • The UV’s Design Fall Between Passenger Car And SUV Called “Car Plus”
JOURNEY OF M&M
• Set up in 1945 as the manufacturer of general purpose utility vehicles. • Later diversified into manufacturer of Tractors and light commercial vehicles (LCV) • Further diversified their business into trade and finance related services, information technology and infrastructure development through joint venture and alliance. • By the end of 1960 company began manufacturing vehicles indigenously . • Its production unit are Mumbai, Nashik,Igatpuri (Maharasatra) and Zaheerabad (A.P.)
Why the project launched ?
From the year 1992company faced tremendous competition specially from Telco.
The sale from 1994 to 1997 was Tata Sumo- 100000 units and M&M UV- 26321 units M&M’s vehicles are more suitable for rough terrain than on urban road, works against it Took benefit of the small size UV market which is 15% of total vehiclemarket compared to Assian average (40%)D
DEVELOPMENT OF INFRASTRUCTURE
•Set up plant at Nashik at a cost of $120 million and capacity was 40000 units. • Three new world class lines were set up at the plant of manufacture component. • A paint shop ,collaboration with Durr of Germany. • Company developed integrated design and manufacturing (IDAM) system. •Entire system of production was fully automated and company have well trained workers.
Development of Scorpio
Made survey and collect customer preference and perception for designee and feature . Introduction of Quality Function Development(QFD) Process. Created a benchmark according to world class SUV’s e) Big size f) Latest technology g) Affordable Price h) Have thrill and passion in driving i) Have Luxury j) International vehicles define image
How Supplier Were Involved?
• • • • Company Involve Its Suppliers From Begning To End. Company Colaborated With Suppliers On Product Design And Development. Company Make Them Partners In The Scorpio Project. The Most Important Contact For Petorl Engines–With Renault Of France Diesel Engines -With AVL Of Austria
• M&m Only Gave Specification About What They Wanted From The Vendors & Suppliers And Responsibility For Overall Quality It One Of The Reliable Suppliers. • Company Decentralized Its Vendor System And Result Better Management Resources And Higher Quality . • Company Gave Complity Autonomy Also Allowing Them To Employ On Conventional And Unproven Process And Did Not Change Its Product Specification Constantly. • Company Did Not Make Its Suppliers Wait. • Suppliers Setup Their Facility At Companies Plant.
The Team Development And Function
•The Team Was Having 120 Members Of Average Age 27 Years Of 19 Teams. •Apart From Traditional Approach ,They Worked Crossfunctionaly. •The Team Had Holistic View. •Teams Were Made Responsible For Cost , Quality And Performance. •Cost Target Was Given To Each Team,called ‘Designed To Cost’.
Testing And Validation
• 74 Vehicles Made For Testing . • Components Were Tested With Its Combination. • Passed Through Nova-c.
The Success Story Of Launching Scorpio
• It Was Launched With Three Models. • 1000 Units Were Booked Within The Launch Of First Week. • In 2003 Companies Income Rose By 22%. • Breaking The Tradition Of UV,Scorpio Is Being Used Primarily As Personal Vehicle. • Survey In 2004 Shows That Scorpio Byers Were Satisfied. • It Extensively Tested,so It Has No Run Time Defect After Launching In Market.
• Some Companies Said That M&M did Not Have The Capacity To Produce Vehicles Inhouse . • No Crash Testing. • M&m Did Not Re-designed Its Product (Scorpio).
CONCLUSION Thus ‘Scorpio’ has proved as a Milestone for M&M and the Indian Automobile Industry.It has given a unique place To M&M in Indian market because ,It was innovated with High quality, Reliability,flexibility, Style , Driving Comfort etc. In short it offered a customized product. hence, again Operation’s components: Time, quality & technology made A Success story.