This action might not be possible to undo. Are you sure you want to continue?
STREETS OF LONDON ▪ 1800
ACKERMANN’S REPOSITORY OF ARTS ▪ 96 STRAND ▪ 1827
www.ctgpublishing.com ▪ Page 2
iscover the streets of London as they were in 1800. Take a trip back in time to this romantic period through the antique illustrations and stories. The antique plates and descriptions are republished from the many issues of The Repository of arts, literature, commerce, manufactures, fashions and politics (1809 - 1822) by Rudolph Ackermann. Also included is an antique map from 1848 that can be used as a guide to navigate these historic regions. The facts within these descriptions are not verified and were written under the economic, political and social pressures of the period. This publication has been divided into five geographic areas: REGION 1 • Carlton Palace [House] REGION 2 • Waterloo Place • Regent Street [New Street] • Pall Mall • Haymarket • Charles Street • Cockspur • Charing Crossing • Leicester Place • Piccadilly • St. James REGION 3 • Whitehall • Westminster Abbey REGION 4 • Portman Square • Grosvenor Square • Hanover Square • Berkeley Square • Cavendish Square • Manchester Square • Portland Place • Soho Square • Regent Street
www.ctgpublishing.com ▪ Page 3
q Morgan & Sanders’s, Catherine-Street, 1819 r
REGION 5 • Covent Garden • Blackfriars Bridge • New Bridge Street • Cheapside • Lothbury • Bartholomew Lane • Southwark Bridge • Fish Street Hill • Leadenhall Street • Mark Lane
www.ctgpublishing.com ▪ Page 4
com ▪ Page 5 . Pall Mall o 1848 Map of London from Samuel Lewis’ Atlas to the topographical dictionaries of England and Wales www.REGION 1 Carlton Palace [House].ctgpublishing.
. elegance.. Pall Mall. which we have been accustomed to give. and willing to comply with the wishes of the public. the views of remarkable buildings in London and its environs might occasionally be substituted for the representations of the interior of shops. displayed in this mansion.com ▪ Page 6 . www. the proprietor has adopted the suggestion. the residence of his Royal Highness the Prince of Wales. North Side.]. an accurate delineation of Carlton-House. 1809 r An earnest desire has been expressed.ctgpublishing. and presents with this number. whose liberal patronage he is so anxious to deserve. give it a just claim to the first rank in the series [. and taste. by many of the subscribers to the Repository.q Carlton House. The magnificence. Conceiving that such an alteration may tend to enhance the interest of the work.
The new circular diningroom is unquestionably one of the most splendid apartments in Europe. who was the architect of this edifice: it is forty-four feet in length. surmounted by a beautiful colonnade.Carlton-House. and another door conducts to the drawing-room. At the back. and was presented by his Majesty to his Royal Highness on his coming of age. The portico. James’s Park.ctgpublishing. are too plain to correspond. The house and courtyard are separated by a dwarfscreen. www. As the old building was much out of repair. stands upon the site of a palace which belonged to the crown.com ▪ Page 7 . are a riding-house and stables. It is situated on the North side of St. but it has be objected. the town residence of the heir apparent of the British throne. and contiguous to the Park. that the other parts of the front being rustic. with the principal front facing Pall-Mall. The great hall of Carlton-House does honour to the genius of the late Mr. belonging to his Royal Highness. Holland. On the south side of it a door opens into a magnificent ball-room. the parliament thought fit to enable his Majesty to erect the present elegant structure in its stead. and twenty-nine in breadth. is truly magnificent. of the Corinthian order. whose garden displays all the refinements of taste and skill which its limits admit of.
The armory occupies five rooms on the attic story, and forms a truly valuable and unrivalled collection, not only of swords, fire-arms, the ancient weapons, and various species of armor, but also of uniforms, dresses, and different works of art. -- The whole of this museum is arranged with great order, skill, and taste, under the inspection of the royal proprietor. Many of the articles preserved here are highly interesting, from the eminent characters to whom they once belonged, and the recollections which they awaken. Among them we may be allowed to remark, a sword of the famous Chevalier Bayard, of the great Duke of Marlborough, of General Moreau, and one of exquisite workmanship, by the celebrated Florentine artist, Benvenuto Cellini, which belonged to the patriot Hampden. Though it must be acknowledged that the mansions of many of our nobility are not much inferior, in splendor and costly magnificence, to this residence of the heir apparent, yet, in the display of exquisite taste, combining the appropriate, the useful, and the elegant, Carlton-House is without a rival.
The Repository of arts, literature, commerce, manufactures, fashions and politics, 1809.
www.ctgpublishing.com ▪ Page 8
q Carlton House Conservatory, Pall Mall, 1811 r
The taste for Gothic architecture has of late become so
prevalent, that it is now employed for every purpose, having been gradually brought from our places of divine worship, to which our forefathers had confined it, to dwelling-houses, and even the palaces of our princes. In the present instance, we have before us, in the Conservatory lately built at Carlton-House, a most elegant specimen of what is technically denominated the florid style of Gothic
www.ctgpublishing.com ▪ Page 9
architecture, of which the finest model in the world is the chapel of King Henry the Seventh at Westminster Abbey. This building is seventy-two feet in length, twenty-three in breadth, and twenty high. It was begun about four years ago, and not long since completed, under the superintendence of Mr. Hopper. [...] It was our original intention to exhibit this place in our engraving exactly as it then appeared, with all its splendid decorations and apparatus; but conceiving that these additions would only tend to conceal the beauties of the building itself, we deemed it preferable to represent our view of this elegant structure unencumbered with those ornaments. The entertainment just alluded to, which surpassed in splendor any things of the kind that ever took place in this country, originated from the desire of the Prince Regent to pay due respect to his royal parent, whose birth-day had passed without any mark of public celebration: and to combine with this object another scarcely less laudable, he intimated, in his cards of invitation, a wish that every person should come dressed in articles of British manufacture only. This desire was complied with, and upwards of two thousand of the principal nobility and gentry in the kingdom partook of the ball and supper given by his Royal Highness.
The Repository of arts, literature, commerce, manufactures, fashions and politics, 1811. www.ctgpublishing.com ▪ Page 10
q Carlton House Front Elevation & Staircase, 1811-2 r
www.ctgpublishing.com ▪ Page 11
com ▪ Page 12 .ctgpublishing. James www.o REGION 2 ? Waterloo Place ? Regent Street [New Street] ? Pall Mall ? Haymarket ? Charles Street ? Cockspur ? Charing Cross ? Leicester Place ? Piccadilly ? St.
com ▪ Page 13 .ctgpublishing.q REGION 2 r 1848 Map of London from Samuel Lewis’ Atlas to the topographical dictionaries of England and Wales www.
The Repository of arts.q Waterloo Place. at its junction with Pall-Mall. That the building should not encroach on the frontage of the palace. 1822. and they are symmetrically planned. so as to form a spacious court.ctgpublishing. The buildings of Waterloo-Place have been erected in a style of architecture adapted to combine with that of Carlton-House. an area has been preserved. in the center of which it has been proposed to erect some monument of art suitable for the spot.1822 r The annexed view of Waterloo-Place. as an essential to the general design. and in which Carlton-House is the central feature. literature. and include that edifice. manufactures.com ▪ Page 14 . to accord with. exhibits the entrance of the New Street [Regent Street]. fashions and politics. www. commerce.
and also Waterloo chapel. on the latter side are several private buildings. The transverse opening is Charles-street. www.1822 r The annexed engraving is a view of Regent-street. The Repository of arts.com ▪ Page 15 . looking onward through Waterloo-place to Carlton-House. and Warren’s Hotel to the westward. designed by Mr. in Pall-Mall. manufactures. in the centre of which some work of ancient or modern art is proposed to be erected. and which faces the end of the street. taken from a spot near to the establishment of the Horticultural Society. fashions and politics. the portico and turret of which are seen towards the front of the picture.q Regent Street. forming a square area. Repton. at the nearest corner of which is seen the United Service ClubHouse to the east. literature. 1822. Waterloo-place occupies the lower ground in front of this building. commerce.ctgpublishing.
the Horticultural Society Establishment. with private dwellings proceeding onward to the Circus at Piccadilly.q Regent Street from Waterloo Place. the bankers. and looking northward. ranges of private residences. manufactures. at which spot the Quadrant commences. and other buildings. fashions and politics.com ▪ Page 16 ..] is Warren’s Hotel. www. Nash and Mr. Hopkinsons’. Edwards.ctgpublishing. Waterloo Chapel. 1822. On the [right] of the picture are the United Service Club-House.. and leads to the north division of the street.. Messrs. are in the perspective. literature.] At Charles-street [. the houses of Mr. 1822 r The annexed view is taken from a point near to Charles-street. commerce. and to the termination of the view by the County Fire-Office. various residences and offices for businesses. [.. The Repository of arts.
ctgpublishing. the south-east facades of this splendid building are so conspicuous as to claim particular notice from the public. 1822. 1822 r At the junction of Pall-Mall and Haymarket. www. manufactures. fashions and politics. is incased at the north and south ends by dwellings and commodious arrangements for shops.q Italian Opera House. literature. and the whole is surrounded by arcades and colonnades. The building. commerce. but which may now perhaps claim the high designation of Pall-Mall East. The view is taken from a spot lately a part of Cockspur-street. properly the theater. Pall Mall at Haymarket.com ▪ Page 17 . The Repository of arts. forming a bold piazza of approach to every part.
manufactures. &c. In the third shop. with all the different kinds of perfumery necessary for the toilette.ctgpublishing. lace... literature. The Repository of arts. muslins. commerce. silks.. and on the left. French clocks. No. gloves. 1809.] Forty persons are regularly employed on the premises in making up the various articles offered for sale. 1809 r The house [. &c. The fourth is set apart for millinery and dresses. but what may be here procured in the first style of elegance and fashion.com ▪ Page 18 . ornamental articles in or moulu.. The second contains articles of haberdashery of every description. www. on the right. 89 Pall Mall.]..q Grand Fashionable Magazine. so that there is no article of female attire or decoration. Immediately at the entrance is the first [.. fashions and politics. [.... you meet with a rich assortment of jewellery.] is divided by glazed partitions into four departments [.] which is exclusively appropriated to the sale of furs and fans.
] After his death it was occupied by the Princess Dowager. when he ascended the throne. [. Prince of Wales. literature.. www. till her removal to Carlton House. The Repository of arts.000. Since the commencement of the present reign. Leicester Square. for £6. [. from whom also Sydney’s-court or alley. purchased of Portman Seymour.. fashions and politics. and the site of it converted into a street called Leicester-place. the mother of his present Majesty. 1812 r This square derives its name from a house once the town residence of the Sydneys. at the north-west corner of the square. Esq.] Leicester House. Leicester House has been pulled down. Leicester Place.. manufactures. commerce. received its appellation. and Leicester House became the residence of Frederic.ctgpublishing.com ▪ Page 19 .q Leicester Square. [George II] resided till 1727. Earls of Leicester.. 1812.
1822 r www.com ▪ Page 20 .ctgpublishing.q Charles Street. Crossing Regent Street.
1822 r www. Haymarket.com ▪ Page 21 .q Charles Street.ctgpublishing.
com ▪ Page 22 .ctgpublishing. 1827 r www. 1822 r q Cockspur Street. Haymarket. Carlton House [R].q Pall Mall at Waterloo Place.
Strand.q Charing Cross.com ▪ Page 23 . 1811 r www.ctgpublishing.
1812 r This square. The greater part of its area is paved. is extensive and beautiful. that the inhabitants of a square like St. is an equestrian statue of William III in stone. It must be obvious to the greatest stranger. On the cast side. on a pedestal. erected in 1808.ctgpublishing.q St. which forms an octagon. James Square. in which.com ▪ Page 24 . at the entrance from Pall-Mall. the center only being surrounded by iron railing. is the spacious mansion of the Duke of Norfolk. in which www. situated on the north side of Pall-Mall. James’s must be of the first rank and consequence. in the middle is a circular basin of water. with the amount of a legacy bequeathed by a gentleman for the purpose.
for Middlesex. Esq. at the east corner of York-street. Esq. *See the following page for an image of the Wedgwood “wareroom” The Repository of arts. literature. This chapel has since been used for the religious exercises of various congregations. Adjoining to this is London House. is the house and factory established by the late Josiah Wedgwood. Proud. but which. Alexander Davison. M. commerce. manufactures.a recent writer states (we know not on what authority). opposite to Norfolk House. Esq. a follower of the principles of Emanuel Swedenborg. This house was formerly the residence of a Spanish ambassador to our court. &c. George Byng. and at present belongs to Mr. has belonged to the Union Club. since the removal of the Ordnance Office to Cumberland House in Pall-Mall. Lord Viscount Castlereagh. fashions and politics.ctgpublishing. is the stately edifice erected (we believe) by the late Duke of Leeds. as well as of the best models of the moderns. Sir Watkin Williams-Wynn. On the north side. the town residence of the bishops of that sec.* who invented and brought to perfection a species of porcelain in imitation of the Etruscan and other potteries of antiquity. Here are also the mansions of the Earls of Dartmouth and Falmouth. P. At the south-west corner. s www. and the adjoining chapel in York-street was a place of worship for himself and his retinue. that his present Majesty was born.com ▪ Page 25 . 1812.
www.q Wedgwood. the public attention has been kept alive by the extraordinary discoveries and improvements. London. fashions and politics. both in art and taste. commerce. 1809. This establishment has existed nearly 50 years.ctgpublishing. The Repository of arts. and is now the property of his successor in the manufactory. and. manufactures. during that long period. Josiah Wedgwood. literature.com ▪ Page 26 . 1809 r The subject of this plate is a representation of the principal room of a suite forming the magazine which belonged to the late Mr. James Square. which the fertile genius of its proprietor was constantly introducing. St.
That monarch demolished the old fabric. and endowed with several manors in Hampstead. Hendon. James Palace. which is called by Stow “a goodly manor. for leprous females. and on its site erected a palace.q St. At the time of its surrender to the crown under Henry VIII.ctgpublishing. James Palace originally stood an hospital dedicated to St.com ▪ Page 27 . its annual revenues were estimated at £100. This hospital was rebuilt in the reign of Henry III and the custody of it was given by Henry VI to Eton College. and other parishes. 1812 r On the site of St. James. founded before the Norman conquest. by some devout citizens of London. To this foundation were afterwards added eight brethren. for the performance of divine service.” but does not appear to have been the residence of royalty till www.
which descended to an inner court. which is still called the old bed-chamber. In 1688. James’s. was given by James I to his son Henry.the destruction of Whitehall Palace by fire in 1697. His lordship resolutely refused to quit his post. offering this palace for his habitation. when Prince of Orange had approached very near to the metropolis. was born in the antichamber to the leveeroom. James took the hint. and marched away with sullen dignity. is worthy of notice. when the Dutch guards. when he received a command from James to submit. “The bed” observes Pennant. who resided in it till his death in 1612. Here the unfortunate Charles I was confined on his removal from Windsor during the last eleven days of his life. especially in the north gate-way. At this period it was customary to mount guard both at Whitehall and St. The building. with its towers..com ▪ Page 28 . by William’s orders. www.ctgpublishing. and was preparing to make the most determined resistance to the intrusion of the Dutchmen.] James II sent a message to him. The son of James II styled the Pretender.. on which he reluctantly withdrew his party. “stood close to the door of the back-stairs. marched through the Park to relieve him. and Lord Craven was on duty at the latter. The offer was accepted. [. but at the same time intimation was given to the king that his future residence at Whitehall would be dangerous. of which some remains may still be discovered. The fidelity manifested on this occasion by and old and faithful servant of the dethroned monarch. represented in the annexed view. and quitted for ever the palace of his ancestors. Prince of Wales.
it was adopted by party.com ▪ Page 29 . s www. together with the French and Dutch chapels. twenty ladies. The Repository of arts. till Buckingham House was purchased by the queen. great part of this palace was consumed by an accidental fire. some of the state apartments. which reduced to ashes the whole south-east corner. and might favour the silly warming-pan story. those of the Duke of Cambridge. Since that event St. neglected to disprove the tale. to be the residence of the British monarchs. literature. besides pages and other attendants. with impudent pride. 1812. commerce.It certainly was very convenient to carry on any secret design. and from the commencement of his Majesty’s present indisposition it has been completely deserted. James’s was filled up for the princess. and firmly believed by its zealots. manufactures. comprehending the Queen’s private apartments. James. afterwards Queen Anne.” In King William’s reign St. but of late years has been used only for purpose of state. four other men of rank.ctgpublishing. fashions and politics. 1809. James’s has seldom been visited by royal family. On the 21st of January. had not the bed been surrounded by twenty of the privy-council. and her consort Prince George of Denmark.
renders it a subject of regret. fashions and politics. www. 1810 r The Green Park is nearly of a triangular figure.q The Basin. stands a neat house. who at present holds that situation. which borders the Green Park. appropriated to the use of the ranger.ctgpublishing. The Repository of arts. and occupied by Lord William Gordon. where it has been put up. About the middle of the north side. The good effect of the latter. James. commerce. that it has not been continued along the whole of this grand west entrance to the metropolis. literature. next to Piccadilly. 1810. Green Park.com ▪ Page 30 . manufactures. On this side considerable improvements have of late years been made by the erection of a handsome lodge at the end contiguous to Hyde Park-Corner. and the substitution of a light iron railing for an unsightly wall. St.
and variety of the specimens. The Repository of arts. reptiles. surpassed every collection that has existed. of which we gave an account in a former volume. manufactures. by Mr. literature..q London Museum. Egyptian Building.] The collection contains upwards of 25. www. Bullock. or is known at present. which. corals. insects. 1815..ctgpublishing. for the purpose of containing his valuable Museum of Natural History. &c. and the exquisite manner in which they are preserved and arranged. fashions and politics. in point of the number. commerce. [. beauty. fishes. birds.com ▪ Page 31 . 1815 r The annexed engraving exhibits a view of the Egyptian building lately erected in Piccadilly.000 quadrupeds. Piccadilly. shells.
q Bullock’s Museum. 1810 r www.com ▪ Page 32 . 1810 r q Piccadilly at Hyde Park Corner Turnpike. Piccadilly.ctgpublishing.
ctgpublishing.com ▪ Page 33 .Whitehall & Westminster Abbey q REGION 3 r 1848 Map of London from Samuel Lewis’ Atlas to the topographical dictionaries of England and Wales www.
which he dedicated to St. for what reason does not appear. King of the West Saxons. and erected the edifice such as it appears at present.ctgpublishing. was destroyed by an earthquake. Sebert. 1810 r Exclusively of the recollections which crowd upon the mind at the sight of this venerable structure. according to tradition. the exquisite specimen of what is improperly termed Gothic architecture.com ▪ Page 34 . which. Henry III. who chose this spot for his burial-place. took down this fabric.q Westminster Abbey. it was rebuilt by Edward the Confessor. and on the ruins of which. is said to have raised a Christian church. must entitle it to particular attention. which it presents. at the beginning of the 7th century. Having been destroyed by the Danes. with various subsequent alterations. www. Peter. On its site once stood a temple of Apollo. additions and repairs.
the nave and cross aisle are supported by fitted slender pillars of Sussex marble. an iron gate opens into the south cross aisle. in 1502.. The the east of the abbey. The length of the cross aisle is 189 feet and the height of the roof 92. Benedict’s chapel. manufactures. on a superficial view. especially at the entrance of the grand aisle. by the monarch whose name it bears. Its greatest length is 489 feet. [. opens into St. appears to be part of the original building.ctgpublishing. and the perspective. commerce. 66 in breadth and 54 in height. so generally adopted in the Christian world. www. from the number of monuments erected there to celebrate English poets. fashions and politics. that the edifice constructed by the Confessor transmitted to posterity the plan. literature. which. This chapel. and Spelman observes.com ▪ Page 35 .The form of the abbey is that of a long cross. whose altar and pavement are scarcely to be equalled. round which are ten other chapels. however. which. displays its chief beauties. of building places for religious worship in that form. ranging from the north to the south cross aisle. is particularly striking. Edward’s chapel. has obtained the name of the Poets’-corner.] The Repository of arts. 1810.. was founded. The west end is adorned with two beautiful towers. At the corner of St. The inside of this church. stand the chapel of King Henry VII 99 feet in length. exclusive of pilasters. The choir. and the breadth of the west front 66.
ctgpublishing.q Westminster Abbey.com ▪ Page 36 . 1821 r www.
manufactures. It is this that is exhibited in the annexed view of Whitehall-Yard. fashions and politics.ctgpublishing. literature. in the center of which the magnificent cupola of St.q Whitehall Yard. and though they are principally conspicuous at the southern extremity of this former seat of royalty.. commerce. Pilkington by a narrow passage leading into Scotland-yard. yet its immediate vicinity to the northward has not been neglected. www. Paul’s appears between the trees to very great advantage. 1811.. To the left of the cathedral is seen the residence of the late Earl of Fife. at present occupied by the Earl of Liverpool [. taken from the street opposite to the Horse-Guards. 1811 r Perhaps no part of the British metropolis has within these few years received greater improvements than they environs of Whitehall. The Repository of arts.].com ▪ Page 37 . The latter is separated from the house of Mr.
fashions and politics. 1811. received its name from being the station where that part of his majesty’s troops usually do duty. manufactures. leading to the parade in St. in the middle. and over it. where all business relative to the military department of the British department is conducted. literature. In a part of this building is the War-Office. Contiguous to the Horse Guards is a house formerly inhabited by the Duke of York. In the former is an arched passage. a hewn stone. James’s Park.q Whitehall & Horse Guards. www. the front of which to Whitehall is represented in our engraving.ctgpublishing. consisting of a center and two wings. commerce. It is a strong building. but which his Royal Highness exchanged for Albany House with Lord Melbourne. rises a cupola. the present proprietor. 1811 r The House Guards. The Repository of arts.com ▪ Page 38 .
o REGION 4 ? Portman Square ? Manchester Square ? Grosvenor Square ? Hanover Square ? Berkeley Square ? Cavendish Square ? Portland Place ? Soho Square ? Regent Street www.com ▪ Page 39 .ctgpublishing.
com ▪ Page 40 .ctgpublishing.q REGION 4 r The Squares 1848 Map of London from Samuel Lewis’ Atlas to the topographical dictionaries of England and Wales www.
Berkeley-square received its appellation from an ancient mansion belonging to the noble family of that name. which have thriven very rapidly. which stood on the site of Berkeley-street. literature. commerce. containing about three acres. and the inhabitants.ctgpublishing.q Berkeley Square. www. and give a rural air to the whole. cause it to be planted with trees and shrubs. the avenue leading from the south-east corner of the square to Piccadilly. is inclosed by an iron ballustrade. which forms an oblong square. fashions and politics. manufactures. Here are the town residences of many families of rank and opulence. on an elevated pedestal.com ▪ Page 41 . The Repository of arts. is an equestrian statue of his present Majesty. after the example of their neighbors. 1813 r This area. In the center. by Wilton. have. of late years. 1813.
This spot was purchased. The Repository of arts. and some time afterwards sold the premises to the Marquis of Lansdowne. by the Earl of Bute. 1811. www. which occupy the whole of the south side of Berkeley-square. commerce. After draining and raising the ground. directed his whole attention to the finishing and improving of the house and gardens. being at that time free from all political engagements. but proceeded no farther. Berkeley Square.ctgpublishing.q Lansdowne House. in 1762. was formerly a piece of waste ground. generally covered by a pool of dirty water than ran down from Curzon-street and its vicinity. manufactures. 1811 r The site of Lansdowne House and gardens.com ▪ Page 42 . literature. then Earl Shelburne: who. fashions and politics. his lordship resolved to build upon it a magnificent house for his residence. He accordingly erected the shell of the present building.
George Street.ctgpublishing. Hanover Square.q St. 1812 r www.com ▪ Page 43 .
com ▪ Page 44 .q Regent Street toward Quadrant. 1822 r www.ctgpublishing.
literature..ctgpublishing. 1812 r Soho-Square.com ▪ Page 45 . The Repository of arts. commerce. vie with most in regard to the regularity of the buildings by which it is surrounded. 1812.] Soho-Square will be further interesting to the scholar and the philosopher.q Soho Square. than by his particular and unremitted attention to the interest and advancement of natural knowledge. as the residence of Sir Joseph Banks. though not equal for extent and beauty of the area to many of the squares which adorn the west end of the British capital. www. manufactures. [. however. may. a gentlemen not less fitted for the high station which he holds in the learned world. fashions and politics. by his attainments and the liberality of his mind. and by his generous patronage of the arts.
www. Lord Harcourt and Lord Bingley purchased ground on the east and west sides. took the whole north side. Marybone. with suitable offices.q Cavendish Square. so that it was several years before the square was completed. The Duke of Chandos. put a stop to the improvements for some time. with the intention of erecting a mansion. then Earl of Carnarvon. It was not till 1715 that a plan was formed for building this square and several streets on the north of Tyburn-road. but the failures occasioned by the South Sea speculation. North Side.com ▪ Page 46 . and the rest was let to builders. which has since assumed the name of Oxford-street. on a most magnificent scale. was a small village nearly a mile distant from any part of the metropolis.ctgpublishing. in which Cavendish-square is situated. 1813 r At the beginning of the last century.
a native of Holland. [. commerce.] Three houses only compose the west side of Cavendishsquare.].. which are of brick.. or appearance.] In the center of the railed area of Cavendish-square. Corinthian columns. This gentleman. but these have nothing in their architecture. If was afterwards the residence of the Earl of Hopetown. who died in 1811. The Repository of arts. as mentioned above. is a gilt equestrian statue of the conqueror of Culloden [. --That in the center. literature. The building shewn in the left-hand corner of our engraving. to deserve particular remark. were intended as wings to the palace. fashions and politics. planned. quitted his country at an early period of the French revolution and here enjoyed his immense fortune in security. and latterly of Henry Hope. pediments. aunt to the present Majesty. which has within these few years been planted with shrubs. The others.. but has long been the town mansion of the Earl of Harcourt. with basements. entablatures.com ▪ Page 47 . 1813. which is represented in the annexed view. It was originally built for Lord Bingley. shut in by a lofty blank wall. was inhabited by the late Princess Amelia. and balustrades.The north side of the square. manufactures. is 153 feet in length. and 70 in breadth.. The two in the middle are of Portland stone. [. Esq.. by the Duke of Chandos.. The remaining sides are occupied by good houses. contains but four houses. www.ctgpublishing.
who erected a small chapel in Spanish-place.. was likewise intermediate to the dates of their erection. as the residence of his ambassador. from designs by Bonomi [. 1813..com ▪ Page 48 .] The ground on the north side lay vacant till the late Duke of Manchester purchased the site. which is one of the most magnificent private residences in the metropolis. and forms the prominent object in the annexed engraving. The Repository of arts.. literature. manufactures. 1813 r It is situated a little distance from the north side of Oxford-street.ctgpublishing.. and the period at which it was built.. fashions and politics. [.. [. between Cavendish and Portman-Squares. has been for many years the property and habitation of the Marquis of Hertford.] The premises were purchased by the King of Spain. on the east side of this mansion.The house. and erected upon it his town residence.].q Manchester Square. www. From this circumstance the square received its present appellation. commerce.
The Repository of arts.. is.. [. to which its site and that of several of the adjacent street belongs. and which John Berkeley Portman. literature. Esq. [. fashions and politics. in the north-west corner. resided.P. 1813. [. as it is in extent. Montagu.] At the south-west corner of the square. Otto. is the present representative. 1813 r This square is esteemed the next in beauty. www.ctgpublishing. the negotiator of the peace of Amiens..com ▪ Page 49 . M. commerce. The north side is the part exhibited in this view.] One of the most conspicuous objects about this square. is the house in which M.. on the part of France.q Portman Square.] It is of more modern erection than any of the other squares in the western part of the metropolis.. to Grosvenor-square. and received its name from an opulent family. the mansion of the late Mrs. manufactures..
Grosvenor-Square covers six acres of ground. which now produces an immense income to his descendant.].. literature. not indeed from the regularity of its buildings. www. but from the general appearance. The garden. was laid out by Kent. manufactures. The Repository of arts. 1813 r This square received its name from Sir Richard Grosvenor.com ▪ Page 50 . the Earl of Grosvenor.. [. and covered a considerable plot of ground in the neighborhood. and is considered the handsomest in the metropolis. This gentlemen had a great passion for building. is situated on the south side of Oxford-street. between New Bond-street and Hyde Park. Grosvenor Square.ctgpublishing. Bart. fashions and politics. which is very picturesque from all points of view. and it has ever been held the first for fashionable residence. 1813.q North Side. commerce.
q Portland Place.com ▪ Page 51 .ctgpublishing. Portland Place. 1815 r q The Crescent. 1822 r www.
1822 r It is within the memory of some persons.q Langham Place and Portland Place. During the reign of Queen Anne. Oxford-street was yet but indifferently inhabited. www. and Oxford-street was not benefited materially even so far westward as Tottenham-Court road.com ▪ Page 52 . Oxford-street ceased at Mary-le-bonelane: at that spot Tyburn-road began. that Parliament-street and Whitehall once formed the finest avenue in the metropolis. improvements were projected about Cavendish-square. which were carried into effect during the reigns of George I and II but they ceased on the west side of Titchfield-street. and for many years presented the sort of humble character of buildings that usually skirt the environs of a great city. and Portlandplace not built.ctgpublishing.
superadded to a better knowledge of the principles of picturesque effect. called Harley Field.ctgpublishing. great care was taken to design them. and the Duke of Chandos.com ▪ Page 53 . whose reimbursements were precarious. having given eclat to this spot. and at the north by an iron railing. after a plan from Palladio. literature. [. commerce. who estates are very considerable in this part of the town.. about 1760.Lord Harcourt.] On a comparison of these styles of building will be seen some of the advantages obtained in the designs for the New Street [Regent Street]. manufactures. 1822. s www. fashions and politics. Lord Bingley. on ground obtained of the Duke of Portland. so that the entrances and means of egress of this fine street were inconvenient to its inhabitants. This street being chiefly undertaken by speculative building. and inadequate to its consequence. Portland-place was closed at both extremities.. southward by the garden-wall of Foley-House. so that they might be erected with strict economy. The Repository of arts.] The subsequent adoption of stuccoes for the covering of houses. dividing it from a pasture. Lord Foley.. which separated the end from the New Road. Until the commencement of the improvements in question. [. in the imitation of stone.. erected his mansion.
ctgpublishing.o REGION 5 ? Strand ? Fleet Street ? Great Russel Street ? Covent Garden ? Blackfriars Bridge ? New Bridge Street ? Cheapside ? Lothbury ? Bartholomew Lane ? Southwark Bridge ? Fish Street Hill ? Leadenhall Street www.com ▪ Page 54 .
com ▪ Page 55 .q REGION 5 r 1848 Map of London from Samuel Lewis’ Atlas to the topographical dictionaries of England and Wales www.ctgpublishing.
[. [. is one of the fifty new churches erected during the reign of Queen Anne. occupies the site of a palace erected by the Duke of Somerset. or Somerset-Place. in the time of Edward VI. commonly called the New Church. represented in our engraving.] In 1775 the whole of this structure was demolished by act of parliament. the protector.] The facade to the Strand.] The church of St. erected from the designs of Sir William Chambers.. manufactures. fashions and politics... literature. and was succeeded by the present superb edifice.. 1809... 1809 r The magnificent modern edifice known by the name of Somerset-House. is chaster and elegant. Strand.q Somerset House [Place]. commerce. [. Mary le Strand. The Repository of arts. which appears to the left in our engraving.com ▪ Page 56 . www.ctgpublishing.
www. plans. manufactures. and drawings. The library has a covered ceiling. 1810. These apartments are situated on the right hand side of the entrance from Strand. The Repository of arts. fashions and politics. be confined to that portion of the building appropriated to the only national school of art. Somerset House.q Royal Academy.com ▪ Page 57 . The subject of our plate is the entrance hall. therefore. literature. commerce. we have already had occasion to give an general account: our present observations will.ctgpublishing. The room on the ground-floor is allotted to models of statues. 1810 r Of the magnificent structure known by the name of Somerset- House. elevations. the Royal Academy. Strand. which was painted by Sir Joshua Reynolds and Cipriani.
q St. 1815 r www.com ▪ Page 58 . Martin in the Fields.ctgpublishing.
Bloomsbury. www. 216 feet in length and 57 in height to the top of the cornice.ctgpublishing.. with ranges of buildings of less elevation.q British Museum [Montagu House]. 1813 r The site of the building is inclosed by a high brick wall. leads into a spacious quadrangle. on the north side of which appears the main building. which excludes the view on every side. containing apartments of the officers belonging to the institution to the east and west. The entrance in Great Russelstreet..] Under the name of Montagu House this structure continued in the hands of the noble family from whom it received that appellation till the year 1753. [.com ▪ Page 59 . and an Ionic colonnade on the south side.
on Monday. the other apartments are occupied by the various collections of curiosities.com ▪ Page 60 . About the same time the two heiresses of the Montagu family tendered this spacious mansion for their reception. consisting of twelve rooms.. Persons www. which was raised by way of lottery. natural and artificial.000 should be paid to his executors.000 should be offered for the use of the public. the manuscripts fill five rooms on the upper floor. on Thanksgiving and Fast days.000 and the whole establishment completed for £85. and several other collections were added to that of Sir Hans Sloan.About this time Sir Hans Sloane. on the condition that £20. The offer was accepted. from ten till four o’clock.ctgpublishing. except in the Christmas. who had spent a long life in the formation of a valuable collection of curiosities. and a house provided for its reception. and Friday in every week. [. It was accordingly purchased for £10. directed..] The ground-floor. A view of the interior was given in a former volume of the Repository.000. by his will that this collection which he declared to have cost him upwards of £50. Wednesday. and a new building was a few years since erected for the reception of the Townley collection and other valuable specimens of ancient art. Easter and Whitsuntide weeks. contains the library of printed books. and during the months of August and September. The Museum is open for public inspection.
No fees are allowed to be taken by any of the officers or attendants belonging to this institution. The polite attentions and gentlemanly behavior of the librarians. for one week at Christmas. in the anti-room. commerce. and places of abode. manufactures. specifying their names. profession. rank. and every reader. www. except for Saturday and Sunday. 1813. if they see no objected. with out a fresh recommendation.com ▪ Page 61 . Easter. upon which they will be shewn into the apartments as soon as the first rooms are sufficiently cleared for their reception. The Repository of arts.who wish to see the Museum. fashions and politics. must transmit their applications in writing. must apply between the hours of ten and two. These the principal librarian submits to the trustees. Persons desirous of admission into this room. and on Thanksgiving and Fast days.ctgpublishing. The reading-room is kept open from ten till four every day in the week. where they will be required to inscribe their names and place of abode in a book kept for that purpose. at the expiration of his term. are universally acknowledged by those who have occasion to resort to this national depository of literature. may apply to have it prolonged. accompanied with a recommendation from some person of known and approved character. in particular. who. and Whitsuntide. literature. will grant an admission for a term not exceeding six months. One of the librarians constantly attends during the above hours.
1810 r www.com ▪ Page 62 .ctgpublishing.q British Museum [Montagu House].
fashions and politics. literature. which is seen in the distance in our engraving.com ▪ Page 63 . manufactures. Fetter Lane. commerce. 1812 r Temple Bar. 1812.ctgpublishing. is the only remaining one of the gates which formerly marked the limits of the city of London.q Fleet Street. The Repository of arts. www.
1809 & 1810 r www.q Theater Royal. Covent Garden.ctgpublishing.com ▪ Page 64 .
ctgpublishing. 1815. The width of the central arch is 100 feet. It is of Portland stone. [. was erected to the honour of the great William Pitt.q Blackfriars Bridge. manufactures. commerce. the most modern of the three bridges which connect the two banks of the Thames at the British metropolis. The Repository of arts. Its length from wharf to wharf is 995 feet. while the bridge itself is low. and those on either side of it are 98. Earl of Chatham.. fashions and politics.com ▪ Page 65 . and breadth 42. 1815 r This beautiful structure. whose name and titles are perpetuated in the adjacent places and streets.] This majestic fabric was completed as it at present appears in 1769. consisting of nine elliptical arches. 93. 83 and 70 respectively.. which leave large apertures for navigation. literature. www. with a raised footway 7 feet wide on each side. though the original appellation of Pitt’s Bridge has been superseded by one derived from local situation.
[. www.. therefore.. [. Mr. and the south-west corner of Ludgate-Hill. fashions and politics.. Frederick Nash.] The most prominent object in the view. altogether.. Blackfriars.com ▪ Page 66 . literature. on Ludgate-Hill. one of the principal marts in London for the business of Fire and Life Insurance. The Repository of arts. 1812 r The annexed engraving represents one of the most interesting situations in the city of London from a drawing by the eminent artist in water-colour painting. forming the north-east corner of New Bridge-street. commerce. is the house of the Albion Fire and Life Assurance Company. manufactures.q New Bridge-Street. 1812. This spot has become.] The house of the Hope Fire and Life Insurance company is within a few doors of New-Bridge-street.ctgpublishing.
as being originally the great street of splendid shops. near the Monument. 1813 r Cheapside received its name from Chepe. fashions and politics.]. The Repository of arts. commerce. [.. It was formerly called West Cheap. linen and cotton goods to the taste and elegance of which our monthly patterns bear ample testimony. Paul’s. in contradistinction to East Cheap. www. 1813..ctgpublishing. a market. manufactures. Lord Chamberlain to Henry VI is Millard’s East India warehouse for every species of silk.q Cheapside by St. which is supposed to stand on the site of the residence of Richard Tonstal.] The annexed engraving represents the western extremity of Cheapside [.. The first house on the left..com ▪ Page 67 . literature.
ctgpublishing. 1815 r www. Cheapside.q Mercers’ Hall.com ▪ Page 68 .
com ▪ Page 69 . manufactures.q Bank of England. www. The Repository of arts.ctgpublishing. Lothbury. literature. commerce. 1809 r The annexed engraving exhibits a view of that part of the Bank of England which faces Lothbury. It forms a portion of the considerable additions. and it affords a good idea of the great extent of the building appropriated to this national establishment. and that have only within a very short time been exposed to public view. fashions and politics. 1809. that have lately been made to this edifice.
com ▪ Page 70 . were afterwards added. designed by Sir Robert Taylor. and the ornamental columns above are Ionic. the business of this institution was transaction in Grocers’-Hall. which stand so near it. and the church of St. 1809 r The center of this side. fashions and politics. Christopher-le-Stocks. literature. is deficient in general effect: it appears too trifling for what it was intended for. the architect was George Sampson. www.ctgpublishing. though it evinces classical knowledge in the distribution of the parts. The Repository of arts. This front.q Bank of England. manufactures. especially when compared with the Royal Exchange and the Mansion-House. Previous to that period. 1809. at the expense of a few houses. and the principal building behind. were founded in 1733. commerce. Two wings. with a rustic base. of considerable elegance. South View. The front is a kind of vestibule.
Bullion-Yard. 1811 r www.com ▪ Page 71 .q Bank of England.ctgpublishing.
q Royal Exchange.com ▪ Page 72 .ctgpublishing. 1812 r www.
The first stone of the structure appropriated to the objects which it embraces. The whole is. one of its present directors. Bartholomew Lane. The building and its appendages occupy a space of the ground at the north end of Bartholomew-lane. was raised by subscription. combining the simplicity of the Grecian style with the massive grandeur of the Roman. 72 feet in length. in the very center of the city.ctgpublishing. Walters. 1811 r The project of this useful undertaking originated with Mr. indeed. and it was completed in January.com ▪ Page 73 . the architect employed in its erection. www. Shuttleworth. worthy of a national edifice. The fund requisite for carrying this plan into execution. was laid by the Lord Mayor. on the 20th of September. 1808. and 53 in breadth. and the general execution reflects great credit on the talents of Mr. 1810.q Auction Mart.
elegantly fitted up with drapery. brokers. a spacious saloon. books. articles of natural history.. which support a simple pediment. The basement consists of a sub-hall. convenience and utility have been more studied than shew and effects.. and are surmounted by four Ionic columns. The first story above the mezzana consists of three spacious and elegant sale-rooms. with convenient apartments attached for consultations. entresol. and others. we believe.ctgpublishing. [. which render them admirably adapted for the sale of pictures. The principal floor. comprehends three large and lofty rooms. likewise. or middle story. and arched vaults and cellaring. or others. introduced for the first time into a public building in this country. minerals.com ▪ Page 74 . shells. calculated only to destroy the harmony or effect of the elevation. which. prints. The upper story.The distribution of the building. and various kinds of personal effects. to which there is an ascent of three steps from the street. the secretary’s and other offices.] www. unencumbered with extraneous ornaments. however familiar on the continent. contains the vestibule or grand entrance. with overlook the great saloon. and having turret or lantern lights. the coffee-room and great double staircase leading off to the right and left to the sale-rooms. in the present instance. communicating with offices for merchants. communicating by open galleries. brokers. is. It contains ten offices for merchants. Above the principal floor is the mezzana. jewellery. Four Doric columns in the center of the building separate the three doors opening into the great saloon.
tontines. Distinct compartments are here allotted for advertisements of every kind of landed property.. commerce. docks. in cold weather. books. wines. speculators or loungers. and buyers or sellers. In the rear of the great stair-case. public institutions. for the sales of annuities. merchandize. fashions and politics.On entering the saloon. manufactures. containing a register of all the sales that are to take place in the Auction Mart during every day of the ensuing week.] In the center is placed an airstove. fixtures. and surmounted with a timepiece. pictures. reversions. manufacturing utensils. 1811. may all find information without incurring the smallest expense. objects of natural history. which. Such a variety of all the objects connected with the commerce of civil society. and the sales of the day. farming stock.ctgpublishing. liquors. s www. shares in canals. [.com ▪ Page 75 . paintings. &c.. a representation of which is given in the annexed engraving. appear on both sides. spirits. is an elegant coffee-room. on the east side of the saloon. On this stove is placed an hexagonal frame. literature. plate. curiosities. the notices of articles on view. household furniture. The Repository of arts. diffuses a genial warmth throughout the whole building. buildings. was never before collected into one focus.
com ▪ Page 76 . give an idea of depth by the reflection of objects. and has a very cheerful appearance. one in Throgmorton-street. literature.ctgpublishing. 1811. facing the latter is placed the bar.q Auction Mart Coffee Room. 1811 r The present plate exhibits a view of the Coffee-Room. It has two ranges of columns. which is well proportioned. though built on a very narrow and gloomy piece of ground. which is fancifully designed. the other from the hall. forming a sort of gallery lighted from above. and looking-glasses placed behind it. manufactures. fashions and politics. commerce. www. There are two entrances. The Repository of arts. with corresponding pilasters in imitation of granite.
q Southwark Bridge. 1812. stretching over that part of the river which the most fortunate occurring circumstances seem to have destined for the purpose. commerce. the stream at that spot being one third narrower than at Blackfriars -. and therefore easy of purchase. are ruinous. Queen-street.ctgpublishing.an evident advantage as to the expense of the bridge. already forms an open and direct line of communication. The buildings to be taken down on the Surry side. manufactures. leading to the very heart of the city. fashions and politics. in order to make room for a suitable street.com ▪ Page 77 . literature. 1812 r The situation of this bridge is about midway between those of London and Blackfriars. www. while on the London shore. The Repository of arts.
q Town-Hall.ctgpublishing. Borough High Street. 1815 r www.com ▪ Page 78 . Southwark.
ctgpublishing. Fish Street Hill.com ▪ Page 79 .q The Monument. 1812 r www.
on the spot formerly occupied by a house belonging. at the beginning of the 17th century. 1810.. having apartments for the use of the directors. and offices for the clerks. [. A garden also belongs to it. who was Lord Mayor in 1610. fashions and politics. 1810 r [The East India House] is situated on the south side of Leadenhall- street. Leadenhall Street. www.. literature. commerce.q India House. to which there is a distinct entrance.] The building extends far backwards. The Repository of arts.ctgpublishing. manufactures.com ▪ Page 80 . together with warehouses in the rear towards Lime-street. to Sir William Craven.
. The ascent to the public sale-rooms.] The groundfloor is occupied by a large coffee-room. and on the upper floor are three commodious rooms for the same purpose. fashions and politics. www. and affording ample accommodation to the raw sugar market in particular.]. is from the center of the north end of the coffee-room [. commerce. The extensive building in the rear is principally appropriated for counting-houses and private shew-rooms for samples of merchandize. 1813 r On the 1st of June. The Repository of arts..]..].q London Commercial Sale Rooms..ctgpublishing. as well as the kitchen [. 1813. The floor up one pair stairs is divided into two large rooms for auctions [.com ▪ Page 81 . but the upper floor [.. literature. 59 feet 10 inches by 31 feet six inches. is] devoted to the exhibition of goods intended for public sale. 1811.... The basement contains an eating-room. the first stone was laid. [.. manufactures. Mark Lane..
CTG PUBLISHING HOW PEOPLE LIVED STREETS OF LONDON ▪ 1800 .