This action might not be possible to undo. Are you sure you want to continue?
Sprachenzenrtum Universität Bayreuth
Unit 1: Present Tenses
A: Put in the present continuous form of the verb in brackets. 1. Please be quiet. I _______________ (try) to read my book. 2. I _______________ (not/use) the computer at the moment so you can use it. 3. Mary is ill so Sue _______________ (teach) her 1essons today. 4. Excuse me, I _______________ (look) for a hotel. Is there one near here? 5. _______________ (you/wait) for someone? 6. Jack, you are very careless. You _______________ (always/forget) to do your homework! 7. The cost of living _______________ (rise) very fast. Every year things are more expensive. 8. What _______________ (you/do)? I _______________ (clean) my shoes. 9. Why _______________ (not/wear) shorts? It's so hot today. 10. The neighbours are so noisy! They _______________ (always/argue) 1oudly. B: Put the verb into the correct form, present continuous or present simple. 1. I _______________ (not/belong) to this particu1ar government committee. 2. Hurry! The bus _______________ (come). I _______________ (not/want) to miss it. 3. Gregory is a vegetarian. He _______________ (not/eat) meat. 4. I _______________ (1ook) for the manager. I can't find him anywhere. 5. We are successful because we _______________ (take) the time to ta1k to our customers. 6. John _______________ (deal) with all the enquiries about sales. 7. At the moment we _______________ (make) a training video for Siemens. 8. _______________ (you/know) what Mr Briceson _______________ (do)? He is not in his office. 9. I _______________ (apply) for a job in the sales department, but I don't know if I will be successful. It _______________ (depend) on whether or not they have any vacancies. 10. Unemployment _______________ (fa1l) and is now down to 5.6%. 11. Jane is doing some research in the library. She needs it for a book she _______________ (write). 12. While Anna is away on holidays, Matt _______________ (work) in her office. 13. He _______________ (teach) French and German at University and _______________ (learn) Greek. 14. There _______________ (be)two flights to Honduras this afternoon. The British Airways flight _______________ (1eave) at 13:00 and _______________ (arrive) at 22:00. 15. Inflation _______________ (rise) at a rate of 2% per annum. C: Put the verb in brackets into the present simple or the present continuous. 1. She a1ways _______________ (remember) my birthday. 2. Mr Brown _______________ (work) in a supermarket. 3. I _______________ (work) in this factory until I find a better job. 4. Look! It _______________ (snow). 5. Can you hear those girls? What _______________ (they/ta1k) about? 6. _______________ (you/know) Helen? 7. We _______________ (never/go) to work by tube. It is too busy. 8. When I'm in Paris I _______________ (usually/stay) in the Hotel du Pont, but this
time I _______________ (stay) in the more expensive Hotel Notre Dame. 9. Ruth _______________ (be) a vegetarian. She _______________ (not/eat) meat or fish. 10. My father _______________ (be) an engineer, but he _______________ (not/work) right now. 11. _______________ (you/believe) in ghosts? 12. My parents _______________ (live) in Sydney. Where _______________ (your parents/1ive)? 13. We _______________ (own) two cars, an estate car and a sports car. 14. Can you drive? No, but I _______________ (learn) at the moment. 15. Look! That woman _______________ (try) to steal that man's wallet. 16. The River Nile _______________ (f1ow) into the Mediterranean. 17. _______________ (you/like) Bon Jovi? 18. I _______________ (get) thirsty. Let's get something to drink. 19. Those f1owers _______________ (smell) lovely. What are they? 20. Jane _______________ (repair) her bike. She _______________ (know) exactly what to do.
Unit 2 : Past Simple and Past Continuous
A: Put one of these verbs in each sentence. Use the past simple: eat bring write buy see meet 1. The party was fantastic. Every guest _______________ something to eat and a bottle of wine. 2. I had an extravagant weekend. I _______________ some clothes and a plant. 3. Three weeks ago Tracy _______________ her ex-husband in Mallorca. What a coincidence! 4. When I lived in Italy, we always _______________ lamb at Easter. 5. Shakespeare _______________ a lot of plays. B: A friend has just returned from his holiday. Ask him questions about it using the past simple. Example: 1. 2. 3. 4. 5. 6. 7. 8. 9. 10. where/go? sun/shine Where did you go? Did the sun shine?
how /get there? who/go with? where/stay? the weather /good? what/you think of the food? what/do during the day? go out in the evenings? buy any souvenirs? make any new friends? how long/the journey home/take?
12. She _______________ (wear) a new dress. He isn't any more because he knows he can . We _______________ (watch) TV when someone _______________ (come) to the door and _______________ (knock) very loudly. She _______________ (not/read) the book because she _______________ (not/be) very interested in that author.C: Put the verb in the past simple. What _______________ (you/do) at this time yesterday? Oh. He has broken his arm. Sue/get married 5. Fred was nervous about travelling to France. Mr Alright _______________ (see) a client in his office. Mary _______________ (not/catch) the train to Mexico City because she _______________ (arrive) at the station too late. D: Put the verb in the correct form: past simple or past continuous. The phone _______________ (ring) while I _______________ (have) a shower. he _______________ (feel) a sharp pain in his back. When he _______________ (carry) the table. 5. Granny/celebrate her 80th birthday I have bought a new car B: Read the situations and write sentences in the present perfect simple. Example: I/buy/a new car 1. 6. 2. The students _______________ (not/finish) their group project because they _______________ (run out) of time. I _______________ (break) a bowl this morning. I _______________ (dream) when the alarm clock _______________ (go off). They _______________ (wait) for me when I _______________ (arrive). 4. James can't go to school because his arm is in plaster. We _______________ (not/go out) last Sunday because it _______________ (rain). Tom _______________ (not/come) to the office yesterday because he _______________ (be) ill. 3. 11. I _______________ (fall) asleep while I _______________ (watch) television. Fred and Frank/start/a company 3. Mary/move house 2. When I _______________ (wash) the dishes it just _______________ (slip) out of my hand onto the floor! 7. 8. Sarah _______________ (go) down the stairs when the lights _______________ (go out). I _______________ (prepare) the dinner. 4. Choose one of the following: learn buy find break clean grow 1. 10. 3. We _______________ (not/eat) anything for breakfast because we _______________ (be) in a hurry. 2. 1. Unit 3 : Past Perfect A: Here is the latest news about your friends and family. 1. I _______________ (see) Kim at the party. My parents/go to Greece 4. 2. 5. Complete the sentences using the present perfect simple. 9. At 12:45 yesterday.
We _______________ (wait) for the bus __________ twenty-five minutes. 7. 2. It rained last week but ………………………………………… Last week I spent a lot of money but …………………………. 6. ever/win/an award Have you ever won an award? ever/travel/to Hollywood ………………… ever/meet/Bill Clinton ………………… ever/write/a novel ………………… ever/run/a marathon ………………… ever/give/money to charity ………………… D: Complete the sentences using the present perfect simple and today/this week/this 1. I watched TV yesterday but I haven 't watched TV today. 5. 6. 2. Now she does …………………………. She _______________ (play) piano __________ she was eight. 9. (paint/the kitchen) Maisy is tired and irritable (drive/for 4 hours) Harry is very hot and dirty (dig/the garden) F: Complete the sentences using the present perfect continuous and add since or for. 10. 1. communicate. 5. G: Complete the sentences using present perfect simple or continuous. (build) The Browns _______________ a house for some time. …………………. (sit/in the sun) The ground is wet. Robert and Jane _______________ (travel) around Europe __________ five weeks. He has been sitting in the sun. I _______________ (write) letters ___________ 8:00. 3.. Use the words in brackets. 4. They _______________ (watch) TV __________ hours. 4. We _______________ (go) to Ireland for our holidays __________ 1968. 6. 3. 2. 6.3. I received a lot of post last month but ………………………… It was warm last spring but …………………………………… Write a sentence using the present perfect continuous. his/her life.. Mr Flint was unhappy because he had lost his cat. Our flat was very dusty. (rain) Jack has no money left. John is sunburnt. (write) John _______________ his novel since last year. year etc. 1. ………………………………………………. Anne _______________ (look) for a new job __________ a long time. 2. 4. 5. 8. Now he has a beard.. Mark _______________ (sell) computers __________ he started his job with Olivetti. 3. Now he is happy. . Make the questions from the words given. It _______________ (rain) __________ this morning. 5. C: You are interviewing a famous person. Harry didn't have a beard last month. 6. Ask questions about things he/she has done in 1. I saw James yesterday but ……………………………………. He has ……………………………………………………………………. Maria _______________ (learn) English __________ two years. 4. 4. They _______________ all the main walls now. (shop) Fred is covered in paint. 5.………………………………. Jane didn't have a dress to wear to the wedding. 2. It isn't any more. 3. E: 1.
Mr Brown _______________ (mark) the exams all morning. Unit 4: Past Perfect A: Read the situations and write sentences in the past perfect using the words in brackets. 5. I arrived at the party at 9 p. _______________ (you/visit) any museums when you were in Sofia. How long _______________ (she/study) German? 2. Mr Brown is new here. 5. 10. Mr Miller _______________ (work) in a travel agency for years. I _______________ (know) Louise for ten years.3. They _______________ nearly half of it now. 7 . They _______________ € 2000 up to now. 4. I _______________ 4 cartoons already. I _______________ (never/have) the opportunity to meet him. 14. 4. 9. He _______________ the first three chapters. Have you seen it anywhere? 4. Alfred Hitchcock _______________ (make) lots of films in his long career. Marilyn _______________ (have) an accident. 12. Things are much more expensive this week. _______________ (you/study) hard? 2. Prices _______________ (go) up. How many articles _______________ (you/write)? 7. but I _______________ (not/finish) yet. 10. present perfect simple or continuous. (save) The Cooks _______________ to go on holiday next summer. . He _______________ (not/be) sick this year. What _______________ (you/do)? I _______________ (wait) for you for an hour! 8. Mr Arnold _______________ (win) the Exporter of the Year prize twice. What _______________ (happen) to you. 11. Melanie lives in Bucharest. She was running for the bus when she _______________ (fall) down. I _______________ (read) the magazine you lent me. 1.m. (paint) The painters _______________ the town hall since February. Then he gave it up. Henry has a perfect school record. 5. His brother _______________ (win) it four times already. I _______________ (just/remember) something. My uncle died in 1960. 1. When _______________ (he/begin) to study Business Administration? 3. 6. isn't he? How 1ong _______________ (he/work) for the company? 3. (watch) I _______________ cartoons on TV. 1. 8. _______________ (you/hear) the bad news? Simon _______________ (break) his leg! 6. You look tired. but Jane was already there. Bob and his friends _______________ (play) golf since this morning. Who _______________ ( write ) the play Dancing at Lughnasa. H: Put the verb in the most suitable form. 9. I: Put in the correct verb form: present perfect or past simple. 15. but he _______________ (not/read) them all. She _______________ (live) there all her life. (she / arrive / before / me) She had arrived before me. _______________ (you/reply) to Mr Aston's letter yet? 13. I waited all afternoon for you. I _______________ (lose) my wallet.
so he ______________ (go) to bed. She retired at fifty-five. 5. It isn't raining now. 4. I could tell that my brother ______________ (smoke) in there all afternoon. I rang Fred but he wasn't at home. I am not the person you are looking for. I am so exhausted. we went to the post office. 9. When the teacher came in. 2. (everybody / go / to bed) 5. but she ______________ (work) hard all her life. 8. She ______________ (decorate) the kitchen a1l afternoon. (he / already / leave / for work) B: 1. 4. He ______________ (look) for his contact lens for an hour and he still ______________ (not / find) it! 5. Hattie felt terribly sick. 3. The park looked awful after the music festival. All the other students were already there. 1. I invited Jeff to come for lunch but he wasn't hungry. Harry was sad to sell his car. People ______________ (leave) litter everywhere. 4. 3. 1. Lucy went into the sitting room. 6. everybody ______________ (stand up). I was furious with Tom when he arrived. You ______________ (make) a mistake. We ______________ (travel) for ten hours and we weren't even half way yet. Mary was covered in white paint. By the time I got home they ______________ (eat) all the cake. D: Complete the sentences using the present perfect or past perfect. The TV was on. I ______________ (wait) for him for hours. 10. 10. The house was quiet. I arrived two hours late because my car ______________ (break down). 9. The journey was incredibly long. 2. 6. I am rea1ly not very hungry. I ______________ (have) a hard day. Jane was late for her exam. 7. Mike got home after midnight. The CEO didn't speak until he ______________ (hear) a1l the arguments. When we ______________ (write) the letter. He ______________ (have) it for a long time. Her brother ______________ (watch) it and ______________ (forget) to switch it off. ______________ (really/have) a tough week. Sam felt ill. It ______________ (finally/stop). . They ______________ (make) up their mind. Complete the sentences using the past simple or the past perfect. 8. The room was very smoky.2. His apartment was rea1ly dirty. C: Complete the sentences using the past perfect or the past perfect continuous. 7. The ball hit the back of the net before the goalkeeper ______________ (notice). the film ______________ (already/start). James was very irritable. When we arrived at the cinema. (he / already / eat / lunch) 3. At last the Board of Directors were ready to announce their decision. I was really tired last night. (they / start / the exam) 4. He obviously ______________ (not/clean) it for weeks. I ____________ (just/have) lunch. 3. 2. She ______________ (eat) too many cream cakes. 5.
B: Write questions using going to. Choose the correct form of the verb.m. I'll meet / I'm meeting Jane in town tonight. D: 1.? ………………………………. 3. 2.? ………………………………. 4. 8.? ………………………………. He ______________ (catch) the last bus from York.' I think it rains / will rain later today. 6. (how / travel?) 5. (jump) It's going to rain..' 'I'll get / I get you something to drink.. 9. (chase) There is a large hole in the bottom of the boat. (what / see?) 3.? ………………………………. Put the verb in brackets into the present continuous or the present simple. 5. I forgot. (who / go with?) 4.______________ (start) at 7 p.' 'Don't worry.. 6. 6.? C: Use going to and the words in brackets to say what is going to happen in these 1. Do you want to come? When ______________ (the concert / start)? It . She is taking / will take the car to the garage at 5 p. 3. 'Have you chosen a new car yet?' 'Yes. Shall / Will I carry that for you? . 4. Coke or tea?' This bus is stopping / stops at every village. (where / stay?) 2. 5. 7. (rain) The cat has seen a mouse. situations. (steal) A bungee jumper is standing on a high bridge.' 'Why have you put the TV on?' I'm going to watch / I will watch the news. His train leaves at 7:50. What time ______________ (the film / begin) this evening? What ______________ (you / do) next weekend? We ______________ (have) a party on Saturday. Harry ______________ (come) to stay tomorrow. 7. What time does your train leave / will your train leave tomorrow? 'I'm very thirsty. You ask: 1. 5. Your friend is going on holiday to Spain. 4.' 'Frank. I'll get / I'm getting some now. which ______________ (arrive) here at midnight.. 10. I ______________ (meet) Jane tonight.. There are a lot of black clouds in the sky. 2. we are going to buy / we will buy a Ford Focus.m.' 11. 2. 3. I can't go out because I haven't got any money. (what souvenirs / buy?) Where are you going to stay? ………………………………. The train to London ______________ (leave) at midday. Louise can't come. (miss) A car thief is looking around a car park. (sink) It is 7:45 and John is asleep. so it's very slow! 'Did you buy some butter?' 'Oh. I lend you / I'll lend you some.. (how much luggage / take?) 6.Unit 5: Future Tense A: 1.
5. 10. He ______________ (not / catch) the plane if he ______________ (not / hurry)! I ______________ (telephone) if I ______________ (need) any help. I’m sure Fred ______________ (understand) if you ______________ (explain) the situation to him. we ______________ (eat) inside. I wish it wasn't raining. 3. If I move house f) I wouldn't feel so sick now! If I hadn't lost the keys g) I would have got a new sports car! If I arrive on time h) I would be watching TV by now! If I eat fish for dinner tonight i) I'll buy an old cottage in the countryside. we ______________ (win) a fortune! D: 1. Conditional 2 Put the verbs in brackets into the / a correct form. 6. Conditional 1 Put the verbs in brackets into the / a correct form. he ______________ (not / have) an accident. 4. If I had won the competition c) I wouldn't smoke so much! If I don't miss the train d) I’d invest in property. 5. you ______________ (feel) better. What ______________ (you / do) if you ______________ (win) a million pounds? If someone ______________ (come) in here with a gun. I ______________ (learn) French before travelling to France. 2. I wish I lived in a village. 3. 4. we ______________ (go) to the theatre. B: 1. 2. she ______________ (not / met) her future husband Tom! 2. 3.. 1. You live in a big city and you don't like it. 9. If you ______________ (visit).. 5. If I were you j) I would go to a Greek island. 1. If I could swim e) I can have a shower before the meeting. My husband ______________ (be) very upset if I ______________ (lose) my wedding ring.Unit 6: Conditionals A: 1. 6. Match the two halves of the sentences. I ______________ (not / fail) the exam if I ______________ (work) harder. They ______________ (win) the race if the weather conditions ______________ (be) better. If I were rich a) I'll drink a glass of white wine with it. If you ______________ (do) more exercise. 4. If he ______________ (drive) more carefully. If we ______________ (buy) a lottery ticket. If it ______________ (rain). E: Write sentences beginning I wish. 5. It's raining. 3. 7. If Kim ______________ (not / miss) her flight. 6. C: Conditional 3 Put the verbs in brackets into the / a correct form. ______________ (you / take) it again? We ______________ (lose) our way if we ______________ (not / stay) on the main road. 2. If I ______________ (be) you. What ______________ (you / do) if you ______________ (see) the thief steal the jewels? 6. If you ______________ (not / pass) the exam. 8. and you hate the rain. I______________ (be) very frightened. 4. 2. If I hadn't eaten so much b) I may arrive on time. .
.. 7......... ...? She can't swim.. 8.? He wouldn't do that.? Jack's on holiday... .. You failed your exam because you didn't work hard enough. 3......? . She was born in France..? Don't break that plate.......... ............ Yes...... ... 8... 2..... You're poor... I have a son and a daughter... 3... 1.. I am 1..... 5... How old are you? Put a question tag on the end of these sentences. The baby weighs 8 kilos.? You weren't listening....... You have eaten too much and feel ill.. 11... 7. 7....m.............. 10.... 4.. No......63 metres tall..... You would like to own a dog....? You don't know Fred... I’ve never been to Morocco..... He's been working here for 5 years............ 6 7... 9. 2. I'm 28 years old..... 6.. I am a secretary ....3. 9......... I'm going to the Seychelles this summer.... I live in Paris.. 4. 8.. 6.......... 5... 5..... .. .. You won't be late... 5.... 4... .. A friend hasn't arrived and that's a pity... 10.. 2... 4... Be careful of your choice of TENSE! where / you / live? Where do you live? you / pass / your exam / last semester? what / your parents / do / at the moment? where / we / go / tonight? you / ever / visit / the Louvre in Paris? who / you / talk to / at the party last week? how far / be / the city centre / from here? Mary / drive / to the wedding / tomorrow? whose / dog / be / it? why / she / not / come yesterday? you / think / it / rain / this evening? B: Write the questions for these answers. 11..... . 11. 12.. will you? He's tired... 10. 6. You have just watched a terrifying horror film and regret it! Unit 7: Question Forms A: 1.. 9.. You have lost your purse.. You have missed the last bus home...... C: 1. 8... but you'd like to be rich! You haven't got a car and you need one..... You can't speak a foreign language.....? You've got a television... 9. Write yes / no or wh-questions..... 3...... It's 10 a.
10. He works too slowly _____________(be) any use to me. 20.... .. What languages can you speak? What are your hobbies? Why do you want this job? Have you done secretarial work before? Which university did you study at? How long have you been working in your present job? Have you ever worked abroad? Do you enjoy travelling? When can you start? Unit 8: Infinitive/Gerund A: 1.. 2. Why does John keep _____________(write) to you? . I simply can't afford _____________(waste) time trying to explain this to you... How old are you? Can you drive? He asked me if I could drive..... I apologised to her but she refused _____________(accept) it.? 11. 4. I was overjoyed _____________(see) you at the party.? D: 1.. He offered to help me _____________(repair) my motorcycle... He can 't stand _____________(wait) for other people... 10.. 15. 12.. 8. 3.. 9... Janice was sad _____________(see) such poverty when she visited India.. 11. Please stop _____________(interrupt) me when I am trying to explain something.. 13.. 6...... . 4... I don't really fancy _____________(spend) my holidays in Spain. 19. 5. I don't mind people _____________(ask) me questions.. The nuclear station is not likely _____________(blow up) although it may shut down. Put in the infinitive or the -ing form of the verb in brackets. 11.. 5. I’ve forgotten _____________(buy) flowers for my girlfriend’s birthday..... 16. 12. It's possible _____________(work) all day without being disturbed. Yesterday you had a job interview. You are free _____________(leave) any time you want to.. He'd never met her before. 8. 7. The thief admitted _____________(enter) the house but says he didn't take anything... I guess there is no point _____________(sit) around here any longer. 9. I'm too noisy..10. 3. The lemonade was cool enough for us _____________(drink). 2..... 17... Tell a friend what the interviewer asked you.. 7. 14.. Where are you from? He asked me where I was from. 18. You should be able to practise _____________(sing) every day.... 6... Scientists are hoping _____________(discover) a new chemical element.
They don't allow you __________ in this building. 9. please? I like Susan very much but she does tend __________ an awful lot. His first attempt was also unsuccessful and he is unlikely (6)_____________(be) back training for quite a few months. but denies (8)_____________(lose) total interest in the project. 10. I am pleased _____________(announce) the new President of our company. Put in the infinitive or ing form of the verbs in brackets. He didn't set out _____________(be) malicious. . 8. using ing or to. D: Complete the sentences with these verbs. This examination is not worth _____________(worry) about. Swimmer abandons Channel swim James Forsyth has decided (1)_____________(abandon) his second attempt at (2)_____________(swim) the English Channel after (3)_____________(break) his ankle in a cycling accident. 4. C: 1. 2. Why do you dislike to watch TV with me. we went to visit my mother. I would like to remind you _____________(bring) some information about our new product. I would rather _____________(die) than live in that place. Everyone wanted him __________ the tournament. 7. 4. She wouldn't let me __________ the letter she had written to her aunt. Trying some of this wine. change lose go close Julie suggested __________ to the movies but I was really tired and decided against it. It's no use _____________(cry) over spilt milk. 5. Can someone show me how __________ the film in this camera? You seem __________ a lot of weight. 7. 5. He continued by (10)_____________(say) that if he could manage (11)_____________(find) the time. 3. Would you mind __________ the window. 3. 6. stay talk win read smoke watch 1.B: Complete the report by putting the verbs in the correct form. I am looking forward to see you soon. 2. please come and see me. It never occurred to her _____________(bring) something with her . After _____________(register) for the course. 4. 9. 2. He apologised me for the delay. 6. I would advise you __________ the night because the roads are treacherous. Correct the following sentences. 3. E: 1. he would do a lot more charity work. As soon as he had finished _____________(change) the baby's nappy. He said in a recent interview that he had not yet decided whether (7)_____________(try) one more time. 8. His decision (4)_____________(postpone) this attempt came after a two week holiday (5)_____________(mountainbike) in Majorca with his wife. Child psychologists do not encourage __________ TV after 9 o'clock at night. Maybe you will like it. 10. 5. I don't have anything _____________(do) but study for my exams. Tom suggested me to buy a new laptop computer. 'I aim (9)_____________(raise) money for a local charity' he explained.
He was carrying a cat in a box. I can't help _____________(fall) in love with you. There were a lot of people here earlier. 9. I was talking to a woman. 9. They wanted to talk to you. 5. leave it blank) Alexander Fleming was the man _____________ discovered penicillin. 6. I can't afford going on holiday. is coming to see me today. 10. 8. He is talking to his pupil. 1. Did you have any trouble to get a green card for the States. needs repairing. lived until the age of 78. Foreigners are not used to drive on the left I'm going to Spain learning Spanish. The school _____________ I was educated has been demolished. _____________ is a famous author. 7. My boss decided to employ me as his assistant. Everything what he said was correct. 4. 6. Ireland exports computer components. 3. Peter prefers _____________(drive) rather than travel1ing by train. C: Correct the following sentences. 6. Complete the sentences with the/a correct form or nothing (i. My grandfather. 3. John looked anxiously at his watch. I work mainly in the Marketing Department. _____________ I bought in Germany. 5. She used to _____________(say) she would return to her job when the children grew up. 2. My car. His work took him all over the world. 1. Jeremy.e. Look at the teacher. She was sitting in her armchair _____________(watch) television. Unit 9: Relative Clauses A: 1. 1. They are made mostly in Dublin. 8. His work takes him all over the world. Many dream of _____________(win) the lottery so that they never have to work again. Somebody called while you were out. 9. 10. It is a waste of time to go to the Psychology lecture. I like meeting people _____________ have travelled widely. For years he lived a life _____________ was very pleasurable. B: Join the following sentences paying particular attention to word order. . 2. 4. 10. 7. 10. There was an actor there.6. _____________ was an extraordinary pianist. 9. 4. There is no point _____________(spend) too long on the individual questions. then it will only become worse. It's time _____________(clean) this kitchen. I've given up _____________(try) to communicate with John. 3. The man which lives next door is very friendly. He wished he hadn't come to the party. The man got on the bus. It is the smallest department in the company. 8. The book _____________ we read in the course was written by Roald Dahl. Her husband was killed in the war. 8. If you put off _____________(explain) it to her. It is difficult _____________(find) a place to park in this town. 2. 7. The man _____________ I was talking to last week gave me another version of the events. I am working for a construction company _____________ head office is in Leeds. 5. I can't remember his name. 7. F: Complete the sentences with either the infinitive or -ing form. 2.
8. I have no idea where my sister is. I really enjoyed staying with my aunt when I was a child because she always told me I could/was able to watch TV after 10 o'clock. whom I spoke last night. 4. could and (be) able to. 2. 7. You _____________ put out the rubbish. 9.3. During the Antarctic expedition the explorers _____________ melt the snow to get drinking water. He was called Jack. 6. 6. The path leads to a lake. B: 1. Mary has a weight problem. 6. 9. Mr Brown _____________ work late in the office since he changed his job. 5. 8. Yesterday I met Mario who told me he was getting married. D: 1.. The paintings have now been recovered. that has just bought a house near Gatwick. You _____________ complete and return the completed form before Friday. In Britain. You _____________ have a licence to have children. 7. 3. Melanie. 4. You _____________ drink alcohol while taking these tablets. You should have taken a taxi or you could phone/could have phoned me for a lift. She could/can be in the North Pole for all I know. You _____________ all remember to lock the door when you leave. . Mr Carlisle. She was able to be/could have been a star but she became a nurse instead. 10. She couldn't come to the conference that was a pity. At the end of the street is a path. 5. 8. She knows she _____________ give up fried food if she wants to lose weight. The landlord always insists on it. I can do that later. It overlooks some beautiful gardens. As soon as she arrived I could/was able to see from her face that she was depressed. 10. is very interested in our new project. You _____________ pay a month’s rent in advance. 3. Why did I have to listen to you? I could have been/can be at home now instead of here. 2. 7. 5. is getting married. The person which I wanted to see was not available until Monday. They were stolen from a mansion in London. 9. Rewrite the sentences A plane crashed into the ocean yesterday. 4. motorcyclists _____________ wear crash helmets. 10. I could/can drive but I can't ride a bike. Mr Smith is going to go to Moscow where his daughter has been living for some time now. none of whom fit her. Suzanna has many friends. . most of which she went to school with. I can't/ couldn't. Somebody phoned while you were in town. 3. 1. It was carrying 345 passengers. This refrigerator was $567 but I could/was able to get a discount because it was slightly damaged. It is difficult to understand how miners work under such conditions. I couldn't have found/haven't been able to find my filofax for days now. She tried on several jackets. I live in a very nice flat. 4. . Unit 10: Modal Verbs A: Choose the correct form of the verbs: can. 10th March. 5. 2. Choose the correct form of the verb: must/have to/mustn't/ needn't/don't have to.
1. 10. 5. 5. I must put the kettle on. I just called the office but I guess they may have/ may be having a lunch break. I don't know who gave me this CD. There has been __________ rain recently. 7. There’s been a terrible accident. I'm Roger. Do you know how to play (a) guitar (b) the guitar. 3. ‘You must have been Anthony's brother. I'm sure you could pass the examination if you tried. If you carry those heavy suitcases you must/ might injure yourself. D: 1. 9. She shouldn't be out so late. 8. Which is correct (A) or (B)? Mrs Johnston goes to (a) church (b) the Church every day of the week. The shop may be delivering/must be delivering our new suite today. You must be / must have been parched after carrying those heavy boxes. Why did you work there? You might have enjoyed/ can't have enjoyed working in such an environment. We thought you would have visited us when you were in town. 4. 4. Choose the correct form of the verbs: must/can't/may/might. 2. It should have been my uncle. 8. You mustn't be/ can't be using the proper learning strategies. We mustn't have booked seats for the show because the theatre is half empty. I like eating (a) spaghetti (b) the spaghetti.C: 1. They didn't want to come with us at first. It must be / can't be easy to get tickets to see it. B: Put in much/many. I suppose you must be/ must have been too busy. . Look at her. 2. Hello. 4. 8. You mightn’t have cooked all that food. 6. 6. a lot of. (a)few. (a) Computer games (b) The Computer games are one of the things of the modern world not liked by all. Call (a) police (b) the police. You will have to go over the books again. In Ireland children go to (a) school (b) the school from nine o’clock until four o'clock every day. You might have been concentrating/ can't have been concentrating when you looked at them the first time. 3. You must be/ can't be very proud of your daughter winning the prize. Will you like a cup of tea with your cake? Mary hasn't to work on Saturdays any more. Correct them. plenty of where necessary. Jenny does a lot of business in (a) Far East (b) the Far East. 7.' I phoned yesterday and they said he's just left for a two day trip to Malibu. (a) little. 9. 5. 6. 10. I would love to live near (a) sea (b) the sea. I can't have to go to work yesterday so I stayed in bed till lunchtime. Unit 11: Countable and uncountable nouns and some/any A: 1. 2. These sentences are wrong. 9. 10. She spent most of her life travelling in (a) Europe (b) the Europe and (a) Middle East (b) the Middle East. That play has been such a success. There are millions of stars in (a) space (b ) the space. 3. 7. but finally we could persuade them to come. She mustn't be more than fifteen.
9.2. The half of the money I gave to my sister so that she could buy a dress. C: 1. (cheap) I was ____________ after the holiday than I was before it. (important) My sister is a lot ____________ me.(cheap) . I have visited United States on many occasions and I really enjoyed it. (long) Can you please speak ____________? (slow) Sharon is a lot ____________ than she was as a child. It is much __________. 8. finding a job is ____________ than making new friends. We spent much money on things we will never need. 4. 4. Unit 12 : Comparisons A: Put in the comparative of the adjectives and adverbs in brackets. We don't have much boxes to carry. Most of tourists come to this part of Germany for the outdoor activities. We had a very good travel across Europe. he doesn't know what to do with it. (friendly) I am unable to walk much ____________ (far). That was very nice dinner. 5. He has so __________ money. 13. (old) At the moment. 7. Jane's parents are some very nice people. 9. 10. 14. It has cost us __________ money to furnish this house. There is no rush. I have __________ friends that I can trust but not many. 2. 10. 15. There weren't that __________ people at the party that I knew. Mr Elliot knows all on his street. (good) My ____________ brother has been working for Lufthansa for 4 years now. I am enjoying my time here. I didn't see nothing. 10. and than. __________ (soon) we leave the better. 7. Your room looks a lot ____________ since you tidied it up. 12. I'm afraid I have a bad news. Going by bus is ____________ going by train. (tired) It took me ____________ to get here ____________ expected. 8. 11. Both us were extremely tired after our walking holiday in Greece . Correct the following sentences. 16. There's __________ time to waste. We have __________ time. 7. using the correct form of the word(s) supplied and adding any other words needed. 4. I have __________ friends and we get together regularly. 6. 5. I last saw Jeremy __________ years ago. 3. Nowadays __________ people have servants in their houses. (old) B: Complete the sentences. I love to eat some bananas when I am really hungry. 1. 3. He was told to go in the bed and stay there until he was better. 2. 5. 3. Lets go to France by car. 3. where 1. 6. 8. You've got to hurry up. Thank you very much. 9. 6. Four persons were injured in the car crash. necessary. French are famous for their culinary talents. Do you happen to know what __________ (big) planet in our solar system is? 2.
10. 'We (11) …………………………(look) for them for quite some time now but (12) …………………………(not find) them. and it (6) ………………………… (have) a remarkable history ever since then. Of all the people working in this company. 7. My sister is elder than me. 3. It's lot more expensive.(keep) . It seems to me that no proper records ____________. This building. Mr Reede conducted some research into the history of the house. 8. Complete the following sentences using the passive voice. 4. 6. 7. I've collected all the necessary articles that ____________ (need) to write this paper. 2. The building (5) ………………………… (build) in 1123 by Michel Davidson. 7. 5. Anna's salary is __________ (same) mine. What is the biggest city of the world? Don't go by train. 2. It is a lot more quietest when he is not around. Henry Reede (8) ………………………… (live) in the house for the past ten years. Which pop singer sings __________ (beautifully) in your opinion? Correct the following sentences. __________ (happy) you will be about your examination.4. 6. The house(3) ………………………… (report) to be haunted and many people down the centuries (4) ………………………… (hear) strange footsteps and noises in the dark of night. which is the oldest surviving example in the country. While the house (9) ………………………… (restore) some years ago. 3. B: 1. 10. He is so noisy. Can't you run __________ (fast)? The extent of his injuries was far more __________ (serious) than we originally thought. The telephone ____________ (never/answer) promptly. The more work you do now. The final examination was more easier than we expected. That building there is the eldest in this town. Currently the house (2) ………………………… (sell) by the international auctioneers. The more people who lend a hand. That was __________ (delicious) meal I've had in a long time. We had hoped to get a look at some of the exhibits but the gallery ____________ (restore) last May when we were there. 5. we do hope to find them some day. 9. Lady Spence ____________ (hold) at gunpoint during a robbery in her home at Dorchester yesterday. 'I (10) ………………………… (read) that there are secret chambers somewhere' he said. the least we will have to do later. 8. Animal Farm ____________(write) by George Orwel1. This company is very inefficient. 5. 4. Unit 13: The Passive Voice A: Complete the story using either the active or passive voice. C: 1. Marjorie earns the same amount of money than me. If you hadn't been so unprofessional. Her injuries were much more serious as we first thought. Adam has the lesser experience. However. 6. 9. The man who ____________ (suspect) of stealing your handbag has been captured. you _________________ (sack). Many famous people are said (7) …………………………(stay) in the house on many occasions including Oliver Cromwel1. I think you'll find it is __________ (not /warm) it looks. 8. Mc Phersons.(l) ………………………… (say) to be the most expensive house in Canada.
The doctor told __________________________. We had to ____________ the meeting because so many people were ill. Unit 14: Reported Speech A: 1. 2. 4. Correct the following sentences. Julie asked ______________________________________. ‘You can drive?'. I thought you ____________ (go out with) him any longer. He asked Jane when did she leave school. 10. He said that he ____________ (will) arrive tomorrow. 6. (a) call down 2. Brian are having the roof repaired finally. 'I will come this afternoon' Mary said. Mr Gregory doesn't like being keeped waiting. 3. 7. 'Stay in bed for a while' the doctor said. 8. 1. This room is cleaning every day. 6. (b) call off (c) call out (d) call back We had to ____________ the meeting until the following week. 2. 2. 9. When did you leave school? The interviewer asked Jane __________________________. Tom said me that he did not like tennis. She said she ____________ (not/ do) want to talk to you. The boss said them they could leave early. 7. Mary told that she wasn't available for anybody this morning. John said he ____________ (go) to a concert with Jane last week. The hunted killer is believe to be living in Boston. Everything possible is doing to solve the problems in other countries. Someone was wondering if has Alex arrived yet. 4. Unit 15: Phrasal Verbs 1. Gold was discovering in California some years ago. C: 1.9. At half-time the team thought they ____________ (have) a good chance to win. . 3. All his money were stolen and he couldn't fly home to London. 6. Julie asked. 5. 3. 10. 9. 4. Complete the following sentences. 7. 10. Mary said ________________________________. Malcolm said. Gregory get liked by everyone. 10. Many items ____________ (damage) during the robbery. 'Don't be naughty'. 8. An official asked what we was doing. Roger said about his most recent trip to Mexico. 8. Malcolm said ________________________________. My father told me stay where I was. Jason said I am feeling ill. The car needs being repaired. 9. B: Correct the following sentences. 5. 5. The picture got painted by Anabella last year. President Kennedy ____________ (shot) in 1963. The doorman asked me to see my membership card.
He agreed to ____________ my flat while I was on holiday. (a) look it up (b) look it over (c) look after it (d) look into it 5. (a) look into (b) look at (c) look after (d) look forward to 12. (a) ran over (b) ran into (c) ran under (d) ran up 11. (a) came into (b) came upon (c) came by (d) came across 4. (a) get past (b) get round (c) get away with (d) get over. John had ____________ a large sum of money for his retirement. After visiting London we decided to ____________ Scotland and then Ireland. The story sounds good but I'm sure he____________. I'll ask Anna whether she could ____________ for the night. (a) made it for (b) made it out (c) made it up (d) made for it 7. If you don’t know a word. He ____________ his mother. He was upset when his girlfriend left him. (a) going out with (b) going in for (c) going back (d) going up with 14. (a) taken over (b) taken in (c) taken after (d) taken out 6. I hadn’t seen John for years and then I ____________ him in the supermarket. That’s a matter I’d like you to ____________.(a) put up 3. (a) put me down (b) put me off (c) put me up (d) put me aside 9. They have been ____________ each other for four years. . (a) look for (b) look into (c) look away from (d) look after 15. you should ____________in the dictionary . 8. but he’ll ____________ it. She was so convincing that we were completely ____________ by her. (a) put up (b) put by (c) put in (d) put out 10. (a) make for (b) make to (c) make out (d) make up for 13. It can’t be true. (b) put over (c) put off (d) put out After his aunt died he ____________ some money.
Although I didn't really agree with her. How often do you borrow __________ the library. (a) broken out (b) broken in (c) broken down (d) broken through 18. (a) get on (b) get off (c) get up (d) get over 19. She took the bottle down __________ the shelf. . Could you turn left __________ the next junction. (a) into (b) for (c) around (d) after 3. (a) take after (b) take out (c) take up (d) take in Unit 16: Prepositions 1. I couldn't quite ____________ what was written on the note. I don't ____________ well with my in-laws. His life depends __________ a heart transplant. After seven years together their marriage has ____________. He is the fastest man __________ the world. I read the magazine every week so I decide to ____________ a subscription for a year. (a) of (b) in (c) on (d) by 5. (a) in (b) on (c) at (d) through 4. I always knew that they would ____________ me in a crisis. (a) gave out (b) gave up (c) gave off (d) gave in 21. (b) in (c)out (d) over The police ran __________ the thieves but didn't catch them. I ____________ to her in the end.(a) takes out (b) takes after (c) takes in (d) takes up 16. (a) stand behind (b) stand on (c) stand over (d) stand by 17. (a) from (b) off (c) in (d) at 6. (a)on 2. (a) make off with (b) make towards (c) make out (d) make for 20.
(a) at (b) on (c) with (d) in 18. The Isle of Skye lies __________ the west coast of Scotland. (a) into (b) over (c) off (d) towards 14. He will __________ all probability become the next Prime Minister. Are you looking for anything __________ particular. through (b) on. The students couldn't get __________ the steel barricades. by (d) in. (a) in (b) at (c) up (d) with 16. (a) on (b) at (c) off (d) in 10. out of (c) towards. (a) at (b) under (c) with (d) in . We must pass this test __________ all costs. Julia is __________ the whole a very nice girl. You shouldn't look __________ the sun __________ binoculars (a) at. (b) with (c) at (d) in In order to get to the supermarket I had to drive __________ your house.(a) from 7. (a) in (b) on (c) at (d) for 12. (a) on (b) at (c) off (d) in 11. (a) at (b) in (c) with (d) under 17. He is __________ no means certain of what he’s doing. in 9. I'm sorry but John's __________ holiday at the moment. (a) along (b) into (c) through (d) past 8. (a) between (b) with (c) at (d) in 15. (a)in (b)of (c)at (d)by 13. The company is no longer operating __________ a profit. He was shot right __________ the eyes.
're always arguing B 1. 2. 15. 3. 9. 's rising 8. You cannot get a refund __________ sale goods. 12. 7. 're always forgetting 7. 5.19. 6. 12. 5. do not belong is coming do not want doesn't eat am looking take deals are making Do you know is doing am applying depends is falling is writing is working teaches is learning are leaves arrives is rising remembers works 'm working 's snowing are they talking Do you know never go usually stay 'm staying 's doesn't eat 's isn't working Do you believe live do your parents live own C . (a)on (b) in (c) at (d)out of 20. 1. 9. 2. 'm looking 5. 13. We do not have any lilac underwear __________ stock at the moment. (a) with (b) for (c) on (d) under Answer Key Unit 1: Present Tenses A l. 11. 3. 10. 13. 7. 11. 'm not using 3. Are you waiting 6. 10. 8. 8. 4. 14. 's teaching 4. are you doing 'm cleaning 9. 4. 'm trying 2. 6. aren't you wearing 10.
7. My parents have gone to Greece. 19. ate 5. 6. Mary has moved house.14. 10. 17. 4. wrote 1. 15. didn't finish 4. met 4. . 3. 4. 10. didn't read 3. 20. didn't come 2. 2. 8. 18. 5. How did you get there? Who did you go with? Where did you stay? Was the weather good? What did you think of the food? What did you do during the day? Did you go out in the evenings Did you buy any souvenirs? Did you make any new friends? How long did the journey home take? was wasn't ran out were arrived went off arrived was having was raining was wearing was washing felt went out came was preparing was watching B C 1. 2. 7. 2. bought 3. 6. 5. didn't catch 1. was dreaming were waiting rang didn't go saw broke was carrying was going were watching were you doing fell was seeing D slipped knocked Unit 3: Present Perfect A l. 11. brought 2. 9. 3. 12. 8. 9. didn't eat 5. 16. Fred and Frank have started a company. 'm learning 's trying flows Do you like 'm getting smell 's repairing knows Unit 2: Past Simple and Continuous A 1. 3.
2. I haven't received any post this month. 2. 4. 3. 6. 4. 4. 2. I have cleaned it. 5. She has bought a dress. 4. It has been raining. 4. 1. 6. 8. 9. 3. 5. Jack has been shopping. 5. 5. 9. 5. I haven't seen him today. 10. 've been waiting have been playing 've known has been marking hasn’t read C D E F G H Have you been studying has he been working 've lost 've been reading haven’t finished Have you heard 's broken. 2. 1. has been learning have been writing have been travelling have been going has been raining has been looking has been selling have been waiting has been playing have been watching have been building has been writing have been painting have been saving have been watching for since for since since for since for since for have built has written have painted have saved have watched 6. it hasn't been warm this spring. 3. 6. 6. 2. 6. 10. 5. He has learnt French. Harry has been digging the garden. 7. B Sue has got married. He has found his cat. I haven't spent any money this week. Have you ever travelled to Hollywood? Have you ever met Bill Clinton? Have you ever written a novel? Have you ever run a marathon? Have you ever given money to charity? it hasn't rained this week. 5. 4. have you written have you been doing. . 3. 2. 7. 5. Maisy has been driving for 4 hours. 3. 3. 3. 8. 1. Granny has celebrated her 80th birthday. 2. 4.4. He has grown a beard. Fred has been painting the kitchen.
10. has lived 2. 2. 1. does the film begin 4. 7. 6. 5.I 1. stood up had broken down had had went had written had eaten had been smoking had worked had been looking had been waiting had had had been decorating had been watching had eaten had been travelling had left have made had already started has finally stopped have just had had not cleaned had made have really had had noticed had heard B C hadn't found had forgotten D Unit 5: Future Tenses A l. 2. 10. 8. did he begin have gone has won. 6. 3. They had already started the exam. 4. 3. 13. 15. Everybody had gone to bed. 4. 3. have just remembered worked 14. He had already eaten lunch. 'm meeting 2. 1. 3. 12. 1. 4. 9. 5. 2. 6. 8. 7. 5. 3. has had. are you doing . 4. fell made 11. has she studied/has she been studying wrote Did you visit 5. 9. 4. 7. 10. has won Have you replied never had Unit 4: Past Perfect A 2. He had already left for work. leaves 3. 5. 9. hasn’t been happened 8.
5. I'm going to watch 10. 3. 5. 4. 2. 2. starts 's catching arrives What are you going to see? Who are you going to go with? How are you going to travel? How much luggage are you going to take? What souvenirs are you going to buy? The cat is going to chase the mouse The boat is going to sink John is going to miss his train. 1. The thief is going to steal a car. 3. 5. visit rains don't pass will / may / might lose won't / may not / might not catch will / may / might telephone did would / might / could you do came were would understand would / might be hadn’t missed wouldn't / mightn’t have failed had driven would / could / might have won would / might you have done had bought will / can / may / might / must / should go will / can / may / might / must / should eat will / can don’t stay doesn't hurry need would / might fee1 won would / might be would / might learn explained lost wouldn't / mightn’t have met had worked wouldn’t / mightn't have had had been had seen would / could / might have won B C . 2. 2. He is going to jump. 5. 's coming B 2. Shall Unit 6: Conditionals A 1. does your train leave 4. 4. I'll get 5. 4. I'm meeting 2. 6. 6. 6. 3. 6. 6. stops 6. does the concert start 7. are going to buy 9. l. 4. 3. 4. 3. C D The correct form is: 1. 5. will rain 8. 're having 6. 5. I'll lend 11. is taking 3. I'll get 7.
. . i I wish I were rich / I wish I wasn’t poor. 6. .. 12.D E 1. 8. 6. 6. 7. d 7. 4. 2. . 7. b 10. 4. Unit 7: Question Forms A 2.what my hobbies were. I wish he / she had arrived. 5. I wish I hadn't eaten so much.when I could start. h 3. 10. 10. 9. c 5. 11.. j 6. 11. 10. 11.. 9. 11.. 2.why I wanted that job. He asked me what languages I could speak. 10.how long I had been working in my present job. 12. 11. I wish I hadn't lost my purse. 9. a 4. B C . e 3.. . 4. 8. 7. . 4... I wish I had a car.. . Did you pass your exam last semester? What are your parents doing at the moment? Where shall we go / are we going tonight? Have you ever visited the Louvre in Paris? Who did you talk to at the party last week? How far is the city centre from here? Is Mary driving / going to drive to the wedding tomorrow? Whose dog is it? Why didn't she come yesterday? Do you think it'll rain this evening? Where do you live? What do you do? / What is your job? Have you got / Do you have any children? Have you ever been to Morocco? Where are you going on holiday this year? / this surnmer? What time is it? How long has he been working here? Where was she born? How tall are you? How heavy is the baby? / What does the baby weigh? isn't he? haven't you? isn't he? do you? were you? will you? would he? can she? had he? aren't I? D 2. I wish I could speak a foreign language. 8. 9.. 8. 10. 2. He asked me how old I was. . 3. 7.. 5.. 5.if I had done secretarial work before.. 6. 4.. 8. 3.. f 8.if I had ever worked abroad. I wish I hadn’t watched that film. 5. .if I enjoyed travelling. 9. I wish I had worked harder / I wish I hadn't failed my exam. I wish I had a dog. g 9.which university I had studied at. 7. I wish I hadn’t missed the last bus home / I wish I had caught the last bus. 5. 6.. 3.
8. 15. 5. 8. 2. 18. 10. 4. 5. 20. 9. l. to see to blow up to see to work to leave singing to discover asking to be waiting sitting to drink interrupting to buy to waste entering spending to accept to repair writing to abandon swimming breaking to postpone mountainbiking to be to try losing to raise saying to find crying worrying registering to announce to bring die to be to bring to do changing F D 1. 12. 13. 7. 2. 5. 6. 7. 4. 5. Why do you dislike watching TV with me? Try some of this wine. who/that . 6. 2. He apologised to me for the delay. 19. 7. 6. 4. 8. 6. 6. 5. 11. 1. 9. 8. Did you have any trouble getting a green card for the states? It is a waste of time going to the Psychology lecture. going closing to talk to change to have lost to win to smoke read to stay watching Tom suggested buying a new laptop computer. to find driving to clean watching falling trying spending say explaining winning Unit 9: Relative Clauses A l. I'm going to Spain to learn Spanish. 7. 6. 10. 10. 9. 8.Unit 8 : Infinitive/Gerund A 1. 3. 3. 8. 4. 4. 9. 5. 3. I can't afford to go on holiday. 1. 9. 2. 7. Foreigners are not used to driving on the left. E B C 1. 3. 3. I am looking forward to seeing you soon. 7. 17. 10. 16. 10. Maybe you will like it. 4. 2. 14. 2. 3. 11. who/that 2. 10. 9.
Ireland exports computer components 4. She couldn't come to the conference. 6. 7. Somebody called Jack phoned 4.B A plane carrying 345 passengers crashed into the ocean yesterday. John. whose work takes him all over the world. There were a lot of people here earlier while you were out. who D 1. Everything that/nothing he said was correct. whom/who/nothing 5. 7. most of whom she went to school with. whose 6. Mr Carlisle. got on the bus. could have been . who wished he hadn't come to some beautiful gardens. Yesterday I met Mario. She tried on several jackets. 2. which was a pity. who 7. where 4. which/that/nothing 8. Somebody. who told me he was getting married. Suzanna has many friends. which is the smallest in the company. 4. 9. 8. who was carrying a cat in a box. 3. Melanie. Mr Smith is going to go to Moscow. I work mainly in the Marketing Department. decided to employ me as his assistant 1. A man. who/that wanted to talk to you. none of which fit her. is very interested in our new product. I live in a very nice flat which/that are mostly made in Dublin. My boss. 10. The paintings stolen from a mansion in London have now been recovered. C Unit 10: Modal Verbs A 1. haven't been able to 3. There was an actor there whose work took him all over the world. 5. looked anxiously at his watch. whose name I can't remember. could 4. 5. 2. which 10. 2. 9. could 2. The man who/that lives next door is very friendly. which overlooks 3. lake. who has just bought a house near Gatwick… 3. called while you were out. 8. At the end of the street is a path 1. 3. Look at the teacher who is talking which leads to the to his pupil. 6. 10. the party. which/that 9. I was talking to a woman whose husband was killed during the war. where his daughter has been living for some time now.5. to whom I spoke /who I spoke to last night. The person whom/who/that/nothing I wanted to see was not available until Monday.
10. 10. 1. 8. 10. 1. 9. a few/a lot of/plenty of 4. Would you like a cup .. 8.5. 7. 5. 3. plenty of/a lot of C 1. Unit 11: Countable and Uncountable/ Some/Any A 1. little 3. 7. 5.. 6. could have phoned was able to could be couldn't could have been can have to must/have to must/have to mustn't needn't/don't have to must be can 't be must be must have been can't be 6. 10. Mary doesn't have to work You must be Anthony's brother. 2. 8. We don'thave many boxes to carry. 8. You needn't have cooked all that food. . 6. 7. 3. 5.. She can't be more than fifteen. 2.we were able to persuade them to come... 2.. 9. 4. 3. a lot of 2. 7.. 6. 9. many 5. much many/a few few a few a lot of/little B 1. 10. 4. B 1. 4. church the Far East Computer games spaghetti Europe. 8. . the Middle East school the police space the sea the guitar 6. 7. 5. don't have to/needn't has had to must/has to had to must can't have enjoyed may be delivering can 't have been concentrating may be having might C D It must have been my uncle. 9. 8. 9. 3. 4. 2. We needn't have booked I wasn't able to/couldn’t go to work . 2. . 9. 7..said he had just left for a two day trip to Malibu. 6. 10. I'm afraid I have (some) bad news.
4. was built 6. is said 2. 2. 10. Most tourists come to this part of Germany for the outdoor activities. Her injuries were more serious than we first thought. Four people were injured in the car crash. 9. It's a lot more C expensive. We had a very good trip across Europe. 16. Mr Elliot knows everyone on his street. 15. That was a very nice dinner. 6. 5. 1. I didn't see anything We spent a lot of money on things we will never need. 2. 12. 10. 7. 2. The final examination was easier than we expected. 8. 2. 5. is being sold 3. is reported 4. cheaper than more tired longer. 3. than more slowly more friendly farther/further better elder/older more important older than the biggest The sooner cheaper not as warm as (any) faster serious the same as the most delicious the happier most beautifully B B C 1. 10. 5. Half of the money I gave my sister so that she could buy a dress. Gregory is liked by everyone. 13. 6. has been living/has living 9. have read 11. have been looking 12. 1. 3. . 3. 10. 9. 5. 4. 6. 3. 3. I have visited the United States on many occasions and I really enjoyed it. 14. 4. was written are needed wouldn't have been sacked was suspected was held was being restored is never answered are being kept/are kept were damaged was shot Unit 12: Comparisons A 1. 4. Jane's parents are very nice people. haven't found 1. 9. 7. Unit 13: The Passive Voice A 1. 4. 8. has had 7. Both of us were extremely tired after our walking holiday in Greece. All his money was stolen and he couldn't fly home to London. 4. The French are famous for their culinary talents. 9. was being restored 10. 8. Thank you very much.3. 8. 11. Everything possible is being done to solve the problem in other countries. My sister is older than me. to have stayed 8. 7. 5. 6. What is the biggest city in the World? Don't go by train. have heard 5. I love to eat bananas when I am really hungry. He was told to go to bed and stay there until he was better. 2. 7. The room is cleaned every day.
she would come that afternoon. My father told me to stay where I was.. 10.not to be naughty .. It is a lot quieter /more quiet when he is not around. 3. 7. Marjorie earns the same amount of money as me. 1. 9... 10. 9. 4.if she could drive. Adam has the least experience. 8. 9. 6.. 7. 8. 4. 3. Brian is having the roof repaired finally. He is so noisy. 4. 8. 2. .. 2. 6.. 10. 7. 11.. Someone was wondering if Alex had arrived yet. 10. 5. 8. Jason said he was feeling ill. 12. 7.. 5. The car needs to be repaired/repairing Unit 14: Reported Speech A 1. 3. Roger spoke about his most recent trip to Mexico. 6. The picture was painted by Anabella last year. 3. An official asked what we were doing. 8. The hunted killer is believed to be living in Boston. through off in on by B Unit 15: Phrasal Verbs 1. . 7. the less we will have to do later. 2. 9. Gold was discovered in California some years ago. 5.6. 10. The boss said/told them they could leave early. went weren't going out with had didn't would . Unit 16: Prepositions 1. He asked Jane when she had left school. The doorman asked to see my membership card. on after at in from from past at. 5. Mary told me that she wasn't available for anybody that morning. 12.her to stay in bed. (b) call off (c) put off (a) came into (a) look it up (b) taken in (c) made it up (d) get over (c) put me up (b) put by (b) ran into (c) look after (a) make for .. 6. 7. 2. 8. 11. Tom said/told me that he did not like tennis.when she had left school. 10. Mr Gregory doesn't like to be kept waiting. That building there is the oldest in this town. Of all the people working in this company. 9. 5. The more people that lend a hand. 6. . 9. 4.
13. 20. 16. 19. 15. 20. over between at on on in in on . 18. 17. 19. 14. 21. 15. 14. 17. 16. (a) going out with (b) look into (b) takes after (d) stand by (c) broken down (a) get on (c) make out (d) gave in (b) take out 13. 18.
This action might not be possible to undo. Are you sure you want to continue?
We've moved you to where you read on your other device.
Get the full title to continue listening from where you left off, or restart the preview.