there in 1926. The site was purchased in 1943 bythe Pt Chevalier Returned Ex-Serviceman’sAssn., with their own developments between1944-1972, and further in 1992. Between thereand Parr Road, wood houses and sheds predomi-nated. The Church of Church owned the corner at1170-1172 Great North Road, but never built onit. Instead, it was sold, and the buyer built a woodand brick house there.
At 1186 Great North Road, an iron shop andsheds was owned by Mrs. Ada Taylor fromc.1935. According to NZ Map 1294 at SpecialCollections, for the Liverpool Estate, Pt Cheva-lier’s early post and telegraph office (c.1915) wasa building around 1196 Great North Road. At No. 1200, a brick shop and lockup served as Ar-thur Sydney Watkin’s butcher shop in 1921, pur-chased by Hellabys in 1924, and then served as ageneral store owned by Jens Peter Paulson from1937. At 1208, a wooden house owned by Hally- burton Johnstone in 1920 was shifted once theASB bought the site, making way for the ASBBank building in the 1930s. Hallyburton alsoowned land on which the Ambassador Theatrecame to be built c. 1929.
Nos. 1224-1234 were empty allotments until c.1926 when William Paget built a brick grocer’sshop at 1232, then W.H. and Amy De Luen builttwo wooden shops at 1224-1228 in 1930, andfinally a brick shop was built at 1234.
Finally, at 1238 Great North, Lawrence CyrilMoore Wilson operated a grocers store on thesite as at 1920. This may have been a buildingused as refreshment rooms back when the Liver- pool Estate across the road (see last issue) was being subdivided and sold from 1915 onward.This would make the small corner store one of PtChevalier’s early buildings, and a survivor fromthe first shops here. In 1922, Ernest James Bright bought the business, while Wilson remained asowner of the building, and in 1952 concrete addi-tions were added along the Carrington Roadfrontage.
Heading down from the grocer’s store, at No. 14there was a villa dating from c.1905. This wasdemolished when the motorway constructionwent through from the 1960s. Then came aswathe of land, to the corner with SutherlandStreet, and on down towards Parr Road, owned by T. J. McIvor until his death in 1937. Hishouse, another c.1905 villa, was at 26 CarringtonRoad.
Thomas James McIvor was born in 1857 inAuckland. He learnt the upholstering trade fromthe firm of T. & H. Cook, and then struck out onhis own. In the nineteenth century, upholstererswere among the number of trades which evolvedinto the business of funeral undertaking — otherswere carriers (carrying the coffins), furnishers(building the coffins — Battersby’s of Avondaleis an example), and florists. McIvor’s funeral parlour was on Karangahape Road. He was amember of the Grey Lynn Bowling Club from1908, and owned land at Blockhouse Bay possi- bly for holidays from 1894-1901, but he was a PtChevalier resident.
Parr and Sutherland Roads were dedicated c.1907 by Alexander Sutherland. Auckland City Li- brary’s website has the suggestion that Parr Roadis named for C. J. Parr — but he wasn’t Mayor of Auckland until 1911, and an MP later still. Per-haps Parr simply had some personal meaning for the Sutherland family.
The southern corner with Carrington Road was purchased in 1906 by the Colonial AmmunitionCompany (famous for the shot tower still existingat Mt Eden). In 1907, however, they sold their
Nurse A. Pohlen outside her private maternityhospital, Great North Road. B. R. Elliott Photo,courtesy L. E. Elliott.