Celesio acquires majority stake in DocMorris Stuttgart, 26 April 2007.

Today the Supervisory Board of Celesio AG has approved the share purchase agreement on the acquisition of circa 90% of the share capital of WWMW e-commerce international GmbH, the holding company of the DocMorris-group. The remaining circa 10% of the share capital are being held by the management of DocMorris. Through this acquisition Celesio gets hold of the only pharmacy brand which is known all over Germany. By doing so, Celesio sets a clear signal against discounters and both national and international interested parties without a traditional relation to the pharmacy business. At the same time, Celesio establishes the basis for strengthening the market position of the customers of its German subsidiary GEHE. DocMorris will remain legally independent within the Celesio-group. The acquisition is subject to clearance by the German Competition Council (Bundeskartellamt).
About Celesio Group: In 2006 Celesio generated 21.6 billion euros revenue. More than 36,000 people work for the company. Celesio operates in 16 countries. The three business divisions Wholesale, Pharmacies and Solutions cover the whole spectrum of pharmaceutical distribution and services. In Wholesale 135 branches bring medicines to pharmacies about 100,000 times every day. About 2,100 pharmacies serve each day more than 500,000 customers. The Solutions division offers pharmaceutical manufacturers logistics and transportation services und supports them with sales and marketing.

About DocMorris: DocMorris is the best known pharmacy brand in Germany and with revenue of 172 million euros (2006) Europe’s biggest mail order pharmacy. The company is headquartered in Heerlen/Netherlands. About 330 people work for the success of the DocMorris Group. In 2006 DocMorris opened a subsidiary in Saarbrucken, in its major market Germany. Since 2007 DocMorris has been cooperating country wide with local pharmacies. 20 pharmacies in seven

German federal states already agreed on a brand partnership. DocMorris plans to obtain 500 pharmacies as cooperation partners within the next five years.

Press contact: Rainer Berghausen, Celesio AG, +49 (0)711.5001-549 rainer.berghausen@celesio.com

Sign up to vote on this title
UsefulNot useful