How To Write a good Personal Statement
BOTH parts count!!
. Study Objectives. GRE Scores.Basics
Qualitative part of an application: SOP. Writing Sample. etc.
Quantitative part of an application: Academic Standing.
in the very first paragraph • is a bit of yourself
• is also known as the Statement of Purpose (abbreviated as SOP) • shows your writing ability • should be to the point • should give a good glimpse of who you are.
• a picture of your overall personality • match between your interests and the program • communication skills • commitment and motivation • info BEYOND your resume
Start with a rough draft
• Brainstorm Important events Accomplishments Skills/Personality Traits Influences and Role Models • Revisit your draft “after some time” • Give your writing a logical order using a chronological or themed outline
Conclusion o Synthesize. don’t summarize!
.Basic Essay Structure
1. o 2. o o Intro A “hook”. thesis statement and overview Body The “meat” of your writing Multiple paragraphs communicating unique angles/sub-topics in line with your overall thesis 3.
self-depreciating or glorifying • Exceeding or falling below the word limit
. no using passive voice! • Gimmicky writing • Rambling without a clear direction • Being overly humorous.Avoid
• Clichѐs • Forced language or vocabulary • Long-winded sentences • Not answering the question: Use active voice.
‘I think’. ‘I strongly
.Style and Tone
• Be simple and straight forward • Be conversational. not too formal or informal • Be definite Don’t say ‘I hope to’ or ‘I might like to’. Say ‘I intend’ or ‘I plan’ • Sound confident Avoid ‘I believe’. ‘I feel’.
Down play the negative and emphasize the positive. Emphasize your active role.believe’. • Be careful of humor
Final check: Ask yourself..
• What does my writing say about me? • Does my SOP illustrate what is unique about me? • Am I providing info that is not found elsewhere in my application?
The importance of revision
• Proofreading • Peer editing • Spell check and beyond • Expressing yourself in fewer words • Feedback on essay flow/readability • Writing and rewriting
.edu/writingpersonalstatementso nline/node/1984 • http://www.eeducation.Resources
• Personal Statements Online: https://www.psu.com/ • http://www.