POSTINGS

Expanding the City’s Biggest Historic District, Again
he Landmarks Preservation Commission held a public hearing last week in preparation for a vote that could add an additional 287 buildings to the Park Slope Historic District. The proposal, being considered the second piece of a 600-building extension approved last year, would bring the largest swath of landmarks in the city to 2,862 buildings. On hand at the hearing was City Council Member Steve Levin, who presides over parts of Park Slope and,

T

according to a spokesperson for the commission, offered support for the new extension. The commission has not yet set a date for the vote. Swaths of residential brownstones would be protected under the new measure, as would a number of commercial spaces, some of which are currently home to retailers, organizations and churches. Below, a look at several of the most significant mixed-use properties that would be protected in the proposed historic district.

St. Augustine’s Roman Catholic Church is a goliath stone structure offering mass daily in Spanish, English and Creole. A religious meeting place for centuries, the present church was established in the late 1800s.

This strip along St. Mark’s Avenue is home to the popular dining and nightlife venues Flatbush Farms and Barn, while a Garry’s Wine & Liquor sits next door for those seeking a cheaper fix.

In 2011, the Berkeley Carroll School purchased the Christian Science Church, built in the early 1930s, for a reported $3.8 million. It is just two blocks away from its upper school at Lincoln Place.

The Fresenius Medical Care Brooklyn Kidney Center offers a range of kidney dialysis services, with a host of experienced nephrologists.

The corner addresses sit at the crossroads between the Grand Army Plaza subway stop, nestled between the Park Slope and Prospect Heights neighborhoods, near Prospect Park and the Brooklyn Public Library.

This quaint, two-level brownstone was built in 1975 and features four residential units.

22 | NOVEMBER 5, 2013  | COMMERCIAL OBSERVER

BRIAN TAYLOR ILLUStRAtION

Boing Boing dubs itself the country’s first “breastfeeding and babywearing boutique,” offering everything from a 34G nursing bra to handmade woolies.

This two-family, three-story converted brownstone, built circa 1905, features two residential units. The Mildred is a six-story, midrise elevator coop building, built in 1920, featuring 53 apartments.

Sign up to vote on this title
UsefulNot useful