How to… Set up BW Statistics
BUSINESS INFORMATION WAREHOUSE
ASAP “How to…” Paper
Applicable Releases: BW 3.0B, 2.1C and 2.0B December 2002
SAP (SAP America, Inc. and SAP AG) assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. These materials are provided “as is” without a warranty of any kind, either express or implied, including but not limited to, the implied warranties of merchantability, fitness for a particular purpose, or non-infringement. SAP shall not be liable for damages of any kind including without limitation direct, special, indirect, or consequential damages that may result from the use of these materials. SAP does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. SAP has no control over the information that you may access through the use of hot links contained in these materials and does not endorse your use of third party web pages nor provide any warranty whatsoever relating to third party web pages. mySAP BI “How-To” papers are intended to simplify the product implementation. While specific product features and procedures typically are explained in a practical business context, it is not implied that those features and procedures are the only approach in solving a specific business problem using mySAP BI. Should you wish to receive additional information, clarification or support, please refer to SAP Professional Services (Consulting/Remote Consulting).
you can begin the data load process and begin analyzing performance data using BW’s reporting tools. INC.
2. you must first install the business content. This is performed in the administrator workbench > Tools > BW Statistics for InfoCubes. AND SAP AG
. data loads.
©2002 SAP AMERICA. Choose select all in order to capture OLAP and WHM statistics for all InfoCubes. Transfer Business Content DataSources.HOW TO …SET UP BW STATISTICS
1 Business Scenario
You want to begin using the BW statistics functionality to report on the performance of queries. Once the business content has been properly installed. In order to utilize this delivered content. Enable capture of statistical data about performance.
2 The Step By Step Solution
1. Transaction SBIW > Business information Warehouse > Business Content DataSources > Select Transfer Business Content DataSources . aggeregate maintainence and compression.
HOW TO …SET UP BW STATISTICS
3. INC. Choose Select Delta to automatically select all DataSources that have not already been transferred. then right-click for the context menu.
5. Expand the node for TCT (Technical Content). Find the source system for the BW system itself. in the Modeling view goto the Source Systems tab. AND SAP AG
. Choose Replicate DataSources. In the administrator workbench.
4. All DataSources under the initial “TCT” node need to be transferred. Replicate DataSources.
©2002 SAP AMERICA. select it.
HOW TO …SET UP BW STATISTICS
7.2B (do not use). Drag and drop (at least) all InfoProviders for the InfoAreas BW Statistics and BW Metadata from the left part of the screen to the right. Find the InfoAreas Under the Node Technical Content. then you must take an extra step. choose execute to begin collection of objects. Expand various parts of the node tree to examine the underlying objects.
©2002 SAP AMERICA. This will intiate the collection process (if set to automatic). switch to the view for Business Content.
8. If automatic collection is not set. AND SAP AG
. Then choose Install (online). INC. or should already be active. Select the grouping option Only Necessary Objects. Note – be sure that you do not drag over the InfoArea for BW Statistics 1. All objects should either be selected to be installed. Go to the administrator workbench.
AND SAP AG
. After the installation is completed. Repeat step number 7.
10. If you come out of the business content view. Choose install (in dialog) once again. INC.
©2002 SAP AMERICA. This will collect a superset of the previously collected objects. Note that you may exceed the time limit for a dialog process during collection. drag and drop the InfoAreas for BW Statistics and BW Metadata. This time examine the tree to ensure that objects such as transfer structures and InfoPackages are selected to for installation (or are already active).HOW TO …SET UP BW STATISTICS
9. and you will have a successful collection this next time. The repository cache will then be filled with the object relationships (via background job). Again expand the nodes of the tree of collected objects. then go back in and try again after about 30 minutes.
11. but this time set the grouping option to In DataFlow Before and Afterwards. go back into the Business Content view.
INC. Go to the administrator Workbench. Modeling view. Find the node for BW Statistics. find the BW Statistics MultiProvider (under the Technical Content and BW Statistics InfoAreas). then choose Show data flow. AND SAP AG
.HOW TO …SET UP BW STATISTICS
12. Select the context menu for the MultiProvider (right-click). Check the dataflow of BW statistics to ensure that all necessary objects have been installed.
13. Modeling View. then expand some of the datasources and ensure that the InfoPackages exist. In the administrator workbench. under InfoSources.
©2002 SAP AMERICA.
The resulting dataflow should look like this.HOW TO …SET UP BW STATISTICS
14. 309955. The Technical Content Role is activated via the BW statistics business content installation.
4 Important OSS notes
©2002 SAP AMERICA.
3 Next Steps
Check delivered InfoPackage groups. InfoPackage Scheduler: perform data loads for all master data InfoSources under the Technical Content InfoArea and the BW Metadata InfoArea InfoPackage Scheduler: Perform delta initializations for all transaction data InfoPackages under the Technical Content InfoArea InfoPackage Scheduler: Schedule regular delta data loads for all transaction data InfoPackages under the Technical Content InfoArea InfoPackage Scheduler: Schedule regular data loads for all master data InfoPackages under the Technical Content InfoArea and the BW Metadata InfoArea Regularly monitor these data loads and ensure timely data availability. AND SAP AG
. INC. Use transaction PFCG to assign the Technical Content Role to any users who should have easy access to the BW Statistics Workbook. Utilize and modify as needed. Consider building process chains to automate data loads. The delivered BW Statistics Workbook is (by default) contained within the Technical Content Role.