This action might not be possible to undo. Are you sure you want to continue?
ASSIGNMENT NO. 3
HISTORY OF ARCHITECTURE 3
EBON ,ALESSA LEE C. AR07331
S. Fr. Paul Rudolph and Eero Saarinen. However. who recommended Locsin to the Ossorio family. In 1969. he completed what is to be his most recognizable work. floating volume and simplistic design in his various projects. Diliman Catholic Chaplain.000 people. The floor of the church was designed by Arturo Luz. just a year before graduating. one of whom is also an architect. Although he was a talented pianist. An art lover. in 1955. Leandro V. The Church of the Holy Sacrifice is the first round chapel in the Philippines with the altar in the middle. Alfredo L. and the cross by Napoleon Abueva. he frequented the Philippine Art Gallery. and the first to have a thin shell concrete dome. Unfortunately. Today. Aquino. the plans for the chapel were canceled. all of whom are now National Artists. He later studied at the De La Salle Brothers in 1935 before returning to Negros due to the Second World War. He was married to Cecilia Yulo.November 15. commissioned Locsin to design a chapel that is open and can easily accommodate 1. 1928 . then University of the Philippines. he was fond of modern painting and Chinese ceramics. Fernando Zobel de Ayala. 1928 in Silay City. John Delaney. The marble façade of the building is cantilevered 12 meters from the terrace by huge arching columns at the sides of the . before shifting to pursue a Bachelor's Degree in Music at the University of Santo Tomas. the stations of the cross by Vicente Manansala and Ang Kiukok. he later shifted again to Architecture.LEANDRO LOCSIN (August 15. An avid collector. and a grandson of the first governor of the province. He returned to Manila to study Pre-Law. to which he had two children. and interior designer. the Theater of Performing Arts (Now the Tanghalang Pambansa) of the Cultural Center of the Philippines. Negros Occidental. artist. where he met the curator. It was then he realized to use concrete. Locsin was a Filipino architect. he met some of his influences. for his buildings. Juinio served as the building's structural engineer. He was proclaimed a National Artist of the Philippines for Architecture in 1990 by President Corazon C. the church is recognized as a National Historical Landmark and a Cultural Treasure by the National Historical Institute and the National Museum respectively. In his visit to the United States. Locsin was born on Aug 15. when Frederic Ossorio left for the United States.J. which was relatively cheap in the Philippines and easy to form. who was planning to build a chapel in Negros. known for his use of concrete. 1994) Leandro V.
Bukidnon. and a library on Philippine art and culture. the original was demolished. with Locsin's permission. Japan. galleries. In 1974. Los Baños. It was completed in only seventy-seven days. 1994 in Makati City. while fountains are illuminated by underwater lights by nighttime. In 1974. His largest single work is the Istana Nurul Iman. and was designed by the L. the country's premiere international conference building and the seat of the Vice Presidency. A large lagoon in front of the theatre mirrors the building during daylight. . he was commissioned to design the Ayala Museum. It was known for the juxtaposition of huge blocks to facilitate the interior of the exhibition. V. Laguna. which is one of the largest single span buildings in the Philippines with a span of 60 meters. he designed the Philippine Pavilion of the World Expo in Osaka. is clearly an example of his distinct architecture. led by Leandro Y. In 1992. Locsin was also commissioned to build the Philippine International Convention Center. the Continuing Education Center and the auditorium.building. a museum of ethnographic and other temporary exhibits. the Carillon. he received the Fukuoka Asian Culture Prize from Fukuoka City. Locsin. and several of their residences. in time for the Miss Universe Pageant. The building houses four theaters. Makiling. Before taking the board examination. Jr. Leandro V. and several structures at the National Arts Center (housing the Philippine High School for the Arts) situated at Mt. was named after him. Most of his work is concentrated on the Freedom Park. once damaged by a fire. with its large canopy that make it resemble the main theatre of the CCP. When the collection of the Ayala Museum was moved to its current location. The campus of De La Salle-Canlubang. He also designed UPLB's Main Library. Locsin and Partners. giving it the impression of floating. Locsin also designed some of the buildings at the UP Los Baños campus. the main auditorium. built in 2003 on a land donated by his family. Locsin designed the Folk Arts Theater. SEARCA Residences. he took his apprenticeship at Ayala and Company (Now the Ayala Corporation) and was even asked to design the first building in Ayala Avenue. Locsin was a close friend of the Ayalas. Locsin died on Nov 15. with the Student Union Building. the official residence of the Sultan of Brunei. which housed the Ayala's art collection. Most of Locsin's work has been inside the country. The Dioscoro Umali Hall. ironically. but in 1970. Locsin's last work. was also a church in Malaybalay. The current building was dedicated in 2004.
one of Locsin's most recognizable works. UP Diliman. Built by Alfredo L. it is the first circular church and the first thin-shell concrete dome in the Philippines Manila Hotel University of the Philippines – Los Baños . Church of the Holy Sacrifice.WORKS: Main Building (Tanghalang Pambansa) of the Cultural Center of the Philippines. The first building designed by Locsin to be constructed. Juinio and fellow UP professors.
and Tomas Mapua. after Carlos Barreto. he took a study leave and went to the United States where he was greatly influenced by Art Deco architecture. and Fabian de la Rosa. who went to Cornell. pursued architecture and was sent to the United States as one of the first pensionados in architecture. who was sent to the Drexel Institute in 1908. Juan Arellano was born on April 25. later the Embassy of the United States in Manila. Antonio Toledo. George Fenhagen and Ralph H. the Philippines. where he worked for Frederick Law Olmsted. and the Jones Bridge.  He. Arellano went to the Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts in 1911 and subssequently transferred to Drexel to finish his bachelor's degree in Architecture. His first passion was painting and he trained under Lorenzo Guerrero. During World War II. 1888 in Manila. He also continued to act as a consulting architect for the Bureau of Public Works where he oversaw the production of the Manila's first zoning plan. The Americans instead opted for a federal-style building that ended up overpriced and uncomfortable. Arcadio. In 1930. which was to become the new capital of the Philippines. the Executive House and Jones Bridge were totally destroyed and the Post Office Building was severely damaged. He designed a demesne along the edge of Manila Bay. were leaving. he returned to Manila and designed the Manila Metropolitan Theater. the Cebu Provincial Capitol (1937). who went to Ohio State. He then went back to the Philippines to begin a practice with his brother. It was during that time that he also designed the building that would house the United States High Commission to the Philippines. Post & Sons in New York City. In 1927. his original designs were not followed and were considered poor eplications. .JUAN ARELLANO (April 25. Jr. which was then considered controversially moderne. which featured a revival-style mansion that took advantage of the seaside vista. While these structures were all reconstructed. Doane. best known for Manila's Metropolitan Theater (1935). In 1940. the Manila Post Office Building (1926). He and Tomas Mapua were then named as supervising architects. Executive House (1926) (now houses the National Museum of the Philippines). He later joined the Bureau of Public Works just as the last American architects. however. he and Harry Frost created a design for Quezon City. Toribio Antillon. He was trained in the Beaux Arts and subsequently went to work for George B. 1888 -1967) Juan Marcos de Guzmán Arellano was a Filipino architect. He attended the Ateneo Municipal and graduated in 1908.
Majestic and imposing. Located in the Intramuros district of the city. its high dome can be seen along Osmeña Boulevard. It was severely damaged in World War II. at the bank of the Pasig River. Cebu Provincial Capitol.Arellano retired in 1956 and went back to painting. and rebuilt in 1946 preserving most of its original design. constructed in 1937 under the administration of Governor Sotero Cabahug. he exhibited his work at the Manila YMCA. A replica of the United States’ White House. One of the many beautiful capitol buildings in the country. WORKS: Jones Bridge. The seat of the Provincial government is of pre-war vintage and has the undulating mountains of Cebu for its background. In 1960. Manila Manila Post Office Building (1926). . The post office building was built in neoclassical architecture in 1926.
an important testament to his growing international reputation as manifested by projects in Hong Kong. Singapore. Saudi Arabia. Spain. the restoration of the historic Las Piñas Church. the stations of the Metrorail Transit System or Light Rail Transit in Manila. the Shrine of Our Lady of Peace at the corner of EDSA and Ortigas Avenue. 1998). he explores the use of indigenous materials infused with current technological trends to being a new dimension to design. Bobby was cited by Asia Week Magazine as one of the seven visionary architects in Asia." bringing local architecture to new heights. He has delivered numerous lectures and papers in the top universities in the Philippines. the development of the Quezon Memorial Circle in Quezon City. the Philippine Regulatory Commission has singled out Bobby for his adherence to the professions code of ethics and his contributions to architecture in the Philippines He has worked on the Tahanang Pilipino at the CCP Complex. the Mary Immaculate Parish Church in Las Piñas City. a trustee of the Katutubong Filipino Foundation. Architect Mañosa sets the philosophy and direction of the firm. Mr.S. In his practice. . He is a member of the National Commission on Culture and Arts. and the U. As a professional. and tradition.A. culture. Mañosa has championed the cause of "Philippine Architecture for Filipinos. Aside from managing his firm. June. He was a 2004 Gawad CCP Para sa Sining awardee. Singapore. he is also active in the lecture circuit. 28. he was conferred National Artist award by President Gloria Macapagal Arroyo in 2009. restoration. and landscaping of Corregidor Island. and Malaysia. He experiments with traditional forms and transforms them to meet both functional and aesthetic requirements of the project. both nationally and internationally. Malaysia.FRANCISCO MAÑOSA Francisco "Bobby" Mañosa is an influential architect noted for his use of native materials like bamboo and nipa in contemporary architectural designs. Architect Mañosa is a graduate of University of Santo Tomas. As the founder of Francisco Mañosa & Partners. Having been described as "The most outspoken champion of Indigenous Filipino Architecture" (Mimar. Thailand. Noted for his passion to put art elements that can speak of the Filipino idealism. Australia. and the development. and a Fellow of the United Architects of the Philippines.
Jose and Francisco (Bobby) Mactan Shangri-la Hotel and Resort . Manuel. Mandaluyong. Davao San Miguel Building. The last project of the firm “Mañosa Brothers”. built in 1976.WORKS: Aquino Center. Tarlac Pearl Farm Resort.
Philippine Village Hotel. Captain Pepe Building. are now able to participate in the design and execution of government projects. He designed the 1937 International Eucharistic Congress altar and rebuilt and enlarged the Quiapo Church in 1930 adding a dome and a second belfry to the original design. Magsaysay Building. It is also largely due to his zealous representation and efforts that private Filipino architects and engineers. In essence.JUAN NAKPIL Juan F. and beauty in the buildings that are the country's heritage today. Manila Jockey Club. architect. Nakpil's major works are the Geronimo de los Reyes Building. Nakpil's greatest contribution is his belief that there is such a thing as Philippine Architecture. WORKS: Rizal Shrine in Calamba. Nakpil. Capitol Theater. is a pioneer and innovator in Philippine architecture. He has integrated strength. teacher and civic leader. Laguna. by law. function. Laguna Philippine Village Hotel University of the Philippines – Diliman Administration Building . Rufino Building. University of the Philippines Administration and University Library. espousing architecture reflective of Philippine traditions and culture. the reconstructed Rizal house in Calamba. Among others. Rizal Theater.
Quezon. designed by Architect Antonio Toledo of the Bureau of Public Works’ Division of Architecture. and adaptive re-use of the historic Municipal Hall’s 3rd & 4th floors as a Museum that will showcase the history and people of San Pablo City.ANTONIO TOLEDO Museum of the Filipino People (Finance Building) – Manila The Finance building is an architectural monument designed by Antonio Toledo in the classical style. the temperature in the building is pleasant. Museo ng San Pablo Museo ng San Pablo is a community museum at the old capitol building in San Pablo City. The Finance building was renovated in the late 1990s and established as the Museum of the Filipino People. the municipal hall was relocated to its present site near Sampaloc Lake. A development plan was formulated which undertakes. The building. The land was bought in 1937 by Municipal President Inocencio Barleta as future site of the town hall. execute and implement the restoration. The building designed with interiors of generous ceiling height around a spacious central court. located at the town plaza. It was inaugurated by President Manuel L. which was in vogue for government building in the late 1930s. The building was originally constructed for the Department of Finance a mirror-image building. rehabilitation. Adaptive Re-use of the Municipal Hall From the town hall with roof tiles made of bricks which was completed in 1809 -1810. Corinthian colonnades and neoclassic details are consistently found throughout the interiors. The central court allows the flow of air within the building. This ensemble of neoclassic-inspired buildings is composed of the few structures that survived the ravages of WWII in Manila. now houses the Department of Tourism. Even without the aid of air conditioners. . originally intended for the Department of Agriculture. The two buildings face a rotunda in the Rizal Park known as the Agrifina Circle. Laguna. was constructed in 1940 during the incumbency of Municipal President Cristeto Brion.
This action might not be possible to undo. Are you sure you want to continue?
We've moved you to where you read on your other device.
Get the full title to continue reading from where you left off, or restart the preview.