This action might not be possible to undo. Are you sure you want to continue?
Multiple Winter Hazard Briefing
February 28th, 2014 Prepared: 4:00 AM Friday, 2/28/2014
Meteorologist: Kat Hawley
This Briefing applies to the NWS Binghamton Service Area only: FOR CENTRAL NY This area includes but is not limited to cities such as Syracuse, Utica, Ithaca, Elmira, Binghamton, and Oneonta. FOR NORTHEAST PA This area includes but is not limited to cities such as Towanda, Montrose, Scranton, and Wilkes-Barre.
Multiple Winter Weather Concerns:
• Bitterly cold wind chills are expected this morning (15 to 24 below zero). • Lake effect snow in portions of Central NY through this morning (especially NY Thruway Corridor). • Potential winter storm with accumulating snow in the region for Sunday night/Monday. Track of the storm (which is uncertain at this time) will determine amounts and locations.
Winter Hazards Map
(as of 4:00 AM Friday 2/28)
Lake Effect Snow Warning Onondaga-Madison-Oneida Counties through 1 PM Today
Wind Chill Advisory for all of Central NY and Northeast PA this Morning.
Lake Effect Snowfall Forecast (as of 400 AM Friday)
Snowfall totals through 1 PM today
• Hazardous travel through this morning for portions of Central NY, especially the NY Thruway Corridor due to lake effect snow and gusty winds causing blowing/drifting and very low visibilities. • Arctic Cold for all of Northeast PA/Central NY:
– Temperatures this morning will fall to near zero or a few degrees below. – Winds will be 5 to 15 mph this morning resulting in wind chills of 15 to 24 below zero.
• A winter storm is likely to move into the Mid-Atlantic region Sunday Night into Monday • Uncertain how much impact it will have on Northeast PA/Central NY. • Model forecasts still differ; too soon for exact details. However, trends now support all snow for precipitation type in Northeast PA/Central NY. • Monitor our forecast updates through the weekend.
Monday Morning 3/3/2014
Syracuse Geneva Penn Yan Bath Cortland Ithaca
Trends for Potential Storm Sunday Night/Monday
Cooperstown Oneonta Delhi
• Continuous updates: http://weather.gov/bgm • Or on Social Media at:
Facebook: Us National Weather Service Binghamton