This action might not be possible to undo. Are you sure you want to continue?
‘’We’ve all come a long way. To our
Objective: *To be able to comment on Act 1 of the play ‘Top Girls’
courage and the way we changed our lives and our extraordinary achievements.’’
How is the struggle for identity presented in Act 1 of the play ‘Top Girls’?
You should comment on: The characters The stage craft Language Key Themes Your reaction as an audience
You have 30 minutes to write a short essay answering the above question. Ensure that you comment on the five bullet points. Use your notes from Thursday’s lesson and your private study
Top Girls Act Two - Scene One & Scene Two
Objective: *To develop our understanding of the character of Marlene
Act Two – Scene One
• In pairs / threes read aloud Act Two – Scene One (pages 30-33) and then discuss:
– How does Act Two – Scene One contrast with the final stages of Act One? – How does this change affect the audience? – Why do you think Churchill chose to include such a short scene? – What do we learn about Marlene in this scene? – What is your opinion / thoughts towards Marlene in this scene? – What do we learn about women’s position in society from this scene? – Does Jeanine have what it takes to become a ‘Top Girl’?
Act Two – Scene Two
The two ‘children’ in this scene would be played by adult actors, this would give this scene a surreal stage picture. • In pairs / threes read aloud Act Two – Scene Two (pages 33-45) and then discuss:
– – – –
The relationship between the girls The relationship between Joyce and Angie The use of language in this scene How this scene highlights the position of women in society (Kit’s choice of future
• Working in pairs / threes write a set of directors notes for someone playing the character of Marlene you should provide information on:
– – – – – Background / Childhood / History Career / Success Attitude / Personality Physical appearence Marlene’s relationships with other characters
• Choose either a section from Act 1, the whole of Act Two-Scene One or a section
Private Study Task
Complete preparation of performance piece – to be performed and discussed on Thursday.
Due: Thursday 8th October 2009