This action might not be possible to undo. Are you sure you want to continue?
• • • • • • • • • About Me The Web is Us/ing Us Video Working Definition Seven Principles of Web 2.0 The Web as Platform Data is the Competitive Advantage The Information R/evolution Video Harnessing Collective Intelligence A Vision of Students Today Video
• • • • • • Muhammad Reeda Malik B.A.Social Sciences (Sociology/Anthropology) 5 years in Foreign Service 4 years in corporate sector 2 years in IT Consultancy TelBru e Government Business
Please introduce yourself
• 30 seconds
– Name – Course – Two interesting things about yourself – What do you hope to gain from this session?
The Machine is Us/ing Us
• • • • Not a technology Trends in how the web is being used Best practices of Web 1.0 survivors Capture new era of innovation and opportunity
• Web 2.0 is a set of economic, social, and technology trends that collectively form the basis for the next generation of the Internet – a more mature, distinctive medium characterized by user participation, openness, and network effects
Seven Principles of Web 2.0
The web as platform Services beyond a single device Data is the competitive advantage Lightweight product and business models (mashups) • Rich user experiences (widgets) • Harnessing collective intelligence • Leveraging the long tail (ebay) • • • •
The average human eats 8 spiders in their lifetime at night.
Random Fact # 1
The Web as Platform
• Products and services are increasingly integrated with the Web • Disrupting older platforms such as print, radio, TV • Why now?
– From 45m to 1.1b people are online. – From 250k to 80m sites on the Web – Broadband penetration
• From OS to Web (Google Apps)
The names of the continents all end with the same letter with which they start.
Random Fact # 2
Data is the Competitive Advantage
• Data is the new “intel Inside” • Increasingly, loosely controlling hard to recreate data is a greater market asset than software
– Google’s search index – Amazon’s Reviews – Craigslist
Harnessing Collective Intelligence
• The core principle • Open Social Platforms • Blogs
– Greatly simplified web publishing – Readers can add comments – RSS Feed to syndicate content
• Wikis and Tagging
A Vision of Students Today
Your stomach has to produce a new layer of mucus every two weeks or it will digest itself
Random Fact # 3